shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian Rope - Input needed on placement of pearls

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, :wavey:
I have been going back through and re-reading the threads on Tahitian ropes that have been recently planed and received, they are beautiful. I am planning a rope myself and I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback on the placement of the pearls on your recent ropes.

My question is: Do I graduate the pearls leaving the largest pearls centered, or not graduate pearls (mix them up) on a rope 50” to 60” with a single clasp. I want to wear the rope: short choker style and long strand , knotted, or lariat style.

I have discovered from playing around, that if I center the largest pearls in the middle of the rope and do the short choker style and long… that would place the largest pearls to one side between the collar bone and the arm. Is that a big deal? I can’t decide?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Excellent questions!

I had a 50" Tahitian rope and when doubled, the largest pearls were in the back, which bothered me -- psychologically more than visually.

If I had to do it over again, since I didn't ever wear it as a 50" rope because that was too long for me, I'd have the pearls strung either randomly or in a wave pattern.

Here was my favorite way to wear it, a woven kind of torsade which was not easy to get just right:

pp_50_inch_tahitian_rope_as_torsade.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me - Are your Tahitians rounds, or drops/baroques? If the pearls are not round, then they point in a particular direction, which introduces another element into the equation. So, it isn't just the pearl size that you need to consider.

I had my round Tahitian strand go from large to small in several waves and I think this works great. This rope I will wear as a lariat, and that wave arrangement works well.

My drop Tahitian strand has the largest pearls in the middle, as well as having the drops reverse direction in the middle of the strand. This means that when doubled, the largest drops are in the middle, at the back of the neck, and the drops in the two strands that you see in front are pointed in opposite directions.

Pictured is my 54" Tahitian rope worn doubled along with a 20" Tahitian strand. You can see that the drops in the bottom two strands are going in opposite directions. The shortest strand is a solo strand, and the pearls reverse direction in the middle of the strand.

I'm perfectly o.k. with how my pearls are arranged, because I think most folks will never notice. And, I do sometimes wear the rope in the long form, and the big pearls show great then. :))

wts_0.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I try not to over think the pearl placement on my rope...otherwise it will drive me nuts. I put a toggle clasp on the rope for flexibility...I like a toggle to be worn either in the front or off to the side and when doubled, this allows the largest pearls to show (along side of the smallest pearls) to give more of a contrast. But I also recently ordered another rope, divided into two separate necklaces which can be joined together...this gives the ultimate versatility to the piece and always has the biggest pearls showing in the front.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- of course you are correct that drop shaped Tahitians add another element to the mix.

I find your example with pearls "pointing" in opposite directions and "parting" in the middle to be perfectly lovely visually. I think there is an overall balance to the look that works.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, drop/baroque pearls for this strand.

bsomio, I love that look! I want to understand correctly what you and Flygirl mean by waves. That would mean sections large to small then repeat…..Large to small, not mixed up and random, correct?

I have studied your new rope Flygirl, I am not bothered by the direction change, which is a great point to consider.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, small to medium to large to largest to large to medium to small over and over again. If the rope is strung in undulating "size waves" you achieve a "consistent inconsistency" when worn as one long strand, doubled, tripled, twisted, etc. All styles will have a "purposeful haphazardness" to the pearl size placement. A methodical increase and decrease of size over and over again in "waves". If there is not much mm difference the waves may not even be visible when looked at casually.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that you need to consider the sizes of the pearls you are using. If there is not much of a difference in the size then mixing them up randomly doesn't do much anyway. I think it works best when you have a noticeable difference in the size of the pearls.

The wave pattern that FlyGirl mentioned (and we know that she knows her pearls !!) is a good idea if you are going for a rope that long, as it always works when doubled or tripled (as long as the pearls aren't all huge I would think you could triple it) . I like the change in direction that you get as they are doubled...sweeping one way and the other ... really nice.

Random placement works well in Harvest strands because you have so many types of pearls and so many different sizes and the big switch up in size/type creates the interest.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
katbran, Thank you for responding. The size range of size pearls are 8.5 mm to 11.5 mainly drop shapes, a few baroques. Until today I have been unaware the wave arrangement in ropes!

Thank you!! bsomio and flygirl for introducing me to this arrangement, very interesting!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard, I agree with you not to over think it, and I am. I also have also considered the two separate strands as you suggested at different lengths. I feel I would not be able to do the choker and long strand shown below by ManaPearl, unless it was a very short strand like 16 inches, and not be able to the knot look.

mpt_porter_1054_1.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1413857718|3770159 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hhpmom-took-your-advise-and-it-worked.205412/...
I used her technique and liked it.

Oh NacreLover I have studied your strand many times too, and that technique worked great! It's so perfectly beautiful! Your pearls are round, I'm just not sure if it will work with drops until I start working it hands on. My plan I to arrange the strand myself and pre- string, and send it off to have it knotted. Thank you for input!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I quite like to string things up on Soft Flex or any jewellery wire first and just check out how well it works. Sometimes I do half of the rope one way and the other half using another pattern so I can look at them and compare. Or take a photo each time you string them and then compare them. It's good to take the time to get it right as knotting a rope ... only want to do it once lol

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We've started stringing all our drops in one direction only. We think it looks smoother and avoids the 'builder's bottom' effect which you can get where the two halves meet. The other advantage is that there is no strict and obvious middle, so in wear it doesn't matter if the necklace walks around your neck.
If you are planning a rope to wear in lots of ways are you limiting yourself a bit if you have a change of direction?
Aren't waves stringing the loose strands in sequence rather than blending them for a graduated single necklace?
A clasp is a good idea otherwise the shorter looks will be hard to put on without strangling yourself

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I thought that the waves were when you went

smaller to larger to smaller to larger to smaller etc etc Graduating up and then down and then up again over and over ?

on a side note but concerning 'waves' , Ive seen it done in SS W & G in colour waves..... white to pale to dark to pale to white and repeat but all the same size.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1413857821|3770160 said:
Pirard, I agree with you not to over think it, and I am. I also have also considered the two separate strands as you suggested at different lengths. I feel I would not be able to do the choker and long strand shown below by ManaPearl, unless it was a very short strand like 16 inches, and not be able to the knot look.

mpt_porter_1054_1.jpg

This is what I ended up deciding to do with my spinel and tahitian necklace. One strand 17 inches and the other 38 inches- with clasps that work together. This way I can wear an ultra long rope (55"), double it, triple it, wear them each singly, etc. What I was missing when I was going to make the 54" rope was the 38" to 40" length that is my favorite length to wear. This gave me all the options.

Love the "wave" idea for the pearls- seems like this would give you ultra flexibility.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to have a long rope that could be worn in different ways, then I would probably have the pearls as evenly sized as possible, rather than graduated.

Just my personal preference.

DK :))

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
The best part about deciding what to do...if you don't like it, it can always be re-done! I think the most versatile way is in two separate strands of complimentary lengths. If 16" is too short, try other combos. Experiment with other necklaces you own, and see which lengths you wear most often. I'd start there and then see what happens. I also believe that the irregular shapes and sizes on drops adds visual interest to a piece.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I opted to do my Tahitian rope from the sale in waves. The biggest pearls graduated in the shorter 20 inch strand and two "waves"/peaks in the 40 inch so that the bigger pearls are centered when worn doubled or tripled. Both strands can be joined with the orbit clasps.

Haven't received the rope though, so no idea if this arrangement is better.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Katbran - My plan is to string up and just work through it several different ways, taking pictures is a great suggestion.

Pirard - My strands now and they are 17.25" to 17.50" 18" I love them as single strands, and wear them every day, they can connect. My wish is one long rope with the large pearls not too bunched up. Your correct if I don't like it they can be redone. That is what I love so much about these addictive little creatures you can change the look of a strand, mix several strands and colors, they have to be restrung at some point.

Thanks pink jewel, Pearlesence, I will be checking out your strands, I am interested in how this looks.

dk168 - Thank you for your input, I feel my size range looks fairly consistent, may have to hold out some of the larger pearls.

Icy Jade - I can't wait to see your strands, please post as soon as you can. I haven't decided on a clasp yet.

Flygirl - Question: On your Equestrian Clasp on the rounds, will it fold over between drop pearls and lock for a Lariat styling? It is not in my budget at this time, just wondering.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Frost Me - I think you received some excellent feedback and I look forward to your pictures of the various placement options.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me - I saw the Equestrian clasp at the pearl ruckus being modelled on a baroque/drop shaped white South Sea rope, and it was being worn lariat style. That's where I fell for this clasp. So, I expect that the answer to your question is, yes, it should be able to fold and clasp between drop pearls.

When I was working with Hisano on the design of my round multicolor Tahitian rope, Hisano mentioned that the Equestrian clasp will work lariat style if the pearls are more pointy, like they are for drops. However, the clasp was too thick to shut around round pearls. In this case, you need a pearl shortener.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1414006253|3771127 said:
Frost Me - I saw the Equestrian clasp at the pearl ruckus being modelled on a baroque/drop shaped white South Sea rope, and it was being worn lariat style. That's where I fell for this clasp. So, I expect that the answer to your question is, yes, it should be able to fold and clasp between drop pearls.

When I was working with Hisano on the design of my round multicolor Tahitian rope, Hisano mentioned that the Equestrian clasp will work lariat style if the pearls are more pointy, like they are for drops. However, the clasp was too thick to shut around round pearls. In this case, you need a pearl shortener.

Oh Fly Girl…… I don't need to pine for this clasp. I was hoping you would say "no it won't work". I think the Gellner, mermaid photo had a similar clasp. Thank you though, I appreciate you responding back.

pinknnew, Yes super feedback, Thank You Everyone!!/b], such great advice, I will keep you posted. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results