shape
carat
color
clarity

Is an Ebola Halloween costume in poor taste?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. Poor taste. It would be equivalent to someone showing up at a costume party in Oct 2001 (or any October really), dressed as one of the World Trade Center buildings on fire. Or dressed as a newly released concentration camp prisoner. Or a domestic violence victim with a black eye. Or...you get the drift.

I'm not sure some things EVER become funny. Ebola. NOT funny.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
poor idea, not funny

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
Yes. Not in good taste at all. But then again, I can think of a lot of Halloween costumes that are in poor taste.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of Halloween costumes are in poor taste like the costume below which came out couple of years ago.

hw_costume.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to know this couple who purposely came in costumes that were controversial to a friend's party every year. One year it was Steve Irwin and his wife, the year or two before that it was John and Loretta Bobbitt. (She carried a jar with an appendage in it and wore a nightgown covered in blood...) :sick:

Halloween is not my favorite. I'm not into all the spooky stuff and the crappy costumes. But I love fall and anything that goes along with a harvest theme. :dance:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adult Halloween costumes have reflected the times and current events. We should not assume that a college kid wearing this costume has the intent of targeting and insulting Ebola victims.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be about as funny as dressing as a member of ISIS/ISIL.

lambskin|1413581739|3768778 said:
Adult Halloween costumes have reflected the times and current events. We should not assume that a college kid wearing this costume has the intent of targeting and insulting Ebola victims.

We all know that college students don't always use their heads, :wall: often think mostly of themselves, and seem to like to go for the shock value. I hope that mature adults would know better than to get attention by capitalizing on something that is causing grief for so many.

Yup, I'll cop to my it. I should dress up as a nanny! :lol: :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1413573100|3768699 said:
Yep. Poor taste. It would be equivalent to someone showing up at a costume party in Oct 2001 (or any October really), dressed as one of the World Trade Center buildings on fire.
NOT funny.

It would be even more not funny for mom and dad to dress up as the two burning towers, while their two kids wearing commercial jet costumes run around the room into mom and dad.
Not funny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one's pretty bad.
What is it about Halloween that makes some people go bonkers?

screen_shot_2014-10-17_at_7.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Kenny :wavey: - what's your take on it? I an ebola-themed costume in poor taste?

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't have a problem with this costume. But I also think people are making way too big of a deal out of ebola in America and would see this costume not as poking fun at the people who have died, but as commentary on the media and politicians sensationalizing this and the American public who are falling for it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1413594894|3768830 said:
So Kenny :wavey: - what's your take on it? I an ebola-themed costume in poor taste?

Yes, and I get a chuckle out of many things that I feel are in poor taste even that pedo priest costume pic that hit the Internet a few years ago.
I'll resist the temptation to post it, but anyone can google it up.

We are all funny.
Humor about stuff that I hold dear is funny too.
My sense of humor is more liberal than my politics.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, I think it is in poor taste, and I usually have a very dark sense of humour....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413587867|3768804 said:
This one's pretty bad.
What is it about Halloween that makes some people go bonkers?

Wow. That's. Something.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
JillyC|1413575810|3768732 said:
Yes. Not in good taste at all. But then again, I can think of a lot of Halloween costumes that are in poor taste.

The entire occasion is a festival of poor taste, is it not??!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1413615978|3768959 said:
JillyC|1413575810|3768732 said:

I agree with LaraOnline. I dislike the whole macabre them of it all.
My sister and I would watch old horror movies on TV when I was very young, and I think it messed me up for life.
I have always hated masks and anything gory.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It's Halloween, which is obviously not meant to be taken seriously. Costumes that might be considered in poor taste don't bother me at all. If I don't like a particular costume, then I wouldn't wear it - simple as that. As far as what other folks wear, that's their prerogative.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty Pleasure|1413599113|3768863 said:
I wouldn't have a problem with this costume. But I also think people are making way too big of a deal out of ebola in America and would see this costume not as poking fun at the people who have died, but as commentary on the media and politicians sensationalizing this and the American public who are falling for it.
I agree. I don't think it's in poor taste, but perhaps pushing the boundaries a bit. I find so many costumes these days are doing just that, and wouldn't be more offended at this costume than say, a dead baby costume or whatever.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1413615978|3768959 said:

Yes, when you get candy with poor taste. :sun:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a costume depicting the victims of Ebola rather than the Hazmat suit is more in poor taste. A few years back my 4th grader dressed up as a Toddlers and Tiaras kid (one year before the costume went viral) and the teachers thought it was a riot and the Moms thought it was horrible. I think a broader trend that adult costumes are getting 'sexier' for women and I question that message more than a Hazmat suit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results