shape
carat
color
clarity

The psychology behind Costco's free samples

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I agree an interesting read kenny. The reciprocal psychology at work here made sense. In addition I think it encourages people to drop their self-discipline and give in to their whims. The food is all prepared for you and there for the taking. What you said to yourself this morning about no snacks before lunch is suddenly out the window. And then when your resistence is low, you find yourself buying more of it, setting yourself up for more snacking in the days ahead. If you love TimTams but don't want to eat them anymore you need self-discipline to stop. You can help yourself to be discipined by not keeping a packet of TimTams secretly in your bedroom cupboard. The Costco stall is the equivalent to your bedroom cupboard.

Costco sells itself on saving people money, when what they really want is for you to splurge on indulgences and spend, spend, spend.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like to take free samples of food in the grocery store because it messes up my lipstick--haha

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
unless the samples are organic I don't sample.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1413817298|3769760 said:
unless the samples are organic I don't sample.

If you only eat organic food do you take supplements to get your FDA-Recommended Daily Allowance of chemicals?
Costco has a good price on those too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. :oops:

Seriously, I was surprised to read a link their research found.
People with more education were less likely to take free samples. :geek:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't have a Costco here but all the supermarkets offer samples in the fresh departments and the liquor section starting on Thursdays. I hate taking free samples because I feel obligated to then buy the product if I like it, exactly like the article stated. You do something nice for me and I feel it necessary to reciprocate. I blow past all the samples and get my shopping done, no time to stop and graze. :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get it; I like the free samples because it lets me taste it to know whether it is something I would like to eat/cook or skip it altogether. The boxes/packages are huge and I'm not going to plunk down $20 on an unknown product.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1413834177|3769921 said:
I don't get it; I like the free samples because it lets me taste it to know whether it is something I would like to eat/cook or skip it altogether. The boxes/packages are huge and I'm not going to plunk down $20 on an unknown product.

Chrono, that sounds 100% reasonable.
What don't you get?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, I feel guilty eating samples and not buying anything. Have an over active conscience. Ironically I don't feel bad about sampling in Whole Foods because I sample things I might try actually buy (cheese, wine, cookies) and it would be for a smaller amount.

I do have to admit, when I was a college and grad student, I would definitely be more likely to show up for events if they featured free food/beverages because then I could maybe use that for a meal.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't eat samples partly because I feel a little guilty not then buying the product as the article says, but maybe it's really because of all the education stuffed into my tiny head. :)) Also because I don't need the extra calories.

The tone of the article is disapproving. I don't see anything wrong with offering samples -- ever go to farmers' markets? They always give them & those types of markets go back to earliest civilizations. No new psychological trickery there.

I'm still laughing at Penn Jillette taking dates to Costco. Maybe he ought to date my DH, who loves the samples there. :lol:

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1413834177|3769921 said:

This is me too. I don't take a sample unless it's something I've been curious about but didn't want to buy in such large quantities.

And the psychology of it really don't work on me anymore. I think after YEARS of free samples I've been inured to the feeling of reciprocity. I can take a sample say thanks and move on now.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't feel obligated at all. I take what I want and leave the rest. I have bought things as a result of trying it, but also have not. I don't understand the annoyance of the free samples. Seems to trigger some people. Overall Costco seems like a great company. They treat their employees and customers well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1413851588|3770104 said:
I don't understand the annoyance of the free samples. Seems to trigger some people. Overall Costco seems like a great company. They treat their employees and customers well.

I hate and boycott all free samples at Costco because they block the aisles. :wall:
The place is already overcrowded. :angryfire:
My SO stops at every one and asks me to stop to and give him my sample.
Nope.

Many of the people who linger with their carts or massive pallets often have 17 children and their entire family clan from the old country.
Maybe I'll drop some condoms in their cart.

Yes I get the legit function of free samples.
It's the freeloading crowds and their traffic jams that piss me off.

Costco doing things that exacerbate the already jammed traffic is not "treating me well".

Also, nothing is 'free'.
It is paid for by you and I by higher prices on everything.

Yes, overall, Costco is a great company.
If they nixed the free samples it would be even better IMO.

BTW most of the free samples are for high-profit, unhealthy crap ... but of course that' what most American want.
I noticed my local Costco used to have free samples mostly on Fri, Sat and Sun.
Now it's 7-days. :knockout:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413852739|3770111 said:
I don't understand the annoyance of the free samples. Seems to trigger some people. Overall Costco seems like a great company. They treat their employees and customers well.

I hate and boycott all free samples at Costco because they block the aisles. :wall:
Nope.

Many of the people who linger with their carts or massive pallets often have 17 children and their entire family clan from the old country.

Costco doing things that exacerbate the already jammed traffic is not "treating me well".

Also, nothing is 'free'.

BTW most of the free samples are for high-profit, unhealthy crap ... but of course that' what most American want.

It seems like from that article that the samples increase sales. So I wonder the evidence that the sample cost is absorbed by all consumers. I would think they pay for themselves as many people do buy the product they are sampling. I believe samples are offered during certain hours so maybe you can shop other times if it is frustrating for you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1413853450|3770122 said:
I believe samples are offered during certain hours so maybe you can shop other times if it is frustrating for you.

No at my local Costco.
It seems they are now there every minute Costco is open.
But thanks for reminding me ... I need to ask the manager if there is a free-sample-free time.

But yes, I do try to go when it is less crowded.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
:lol: :lol: That includes my DH, who times his Costco trips to when they have samples out; he makes the rounds & tries all except the healthy ones. And he ain't even American! Brought his bad habits with him from the mother country.

Our Costco doesn't do samples every day & when they do, it's only for a couple of hours. I do have to say their hot dogs/sausages look just yummmmmmy on the photos above the kiosk. I'm always drooling to try one until I notice the obese characters in line & the impulse goes away. I'll probably never know if they are as good as they look.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1413853890|3770126 said:
I believe samples are offered during certain hours so maybe you can shop other times if it is frustrating for you.

No at my local Costco.
But thanks for reminding me ... I need to ask the manager if there is a free-sample-free time.

Sunday mornings, at the open, when many people are still at church and the sample carts haven't been set up yet. It's the Costco magic-hour, I swear! By the time the carts are set up and the food is hot for the church crowd, you'll be done and loading your car!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413853890|3770126 said:

No at my local Costco.

I linked you to the Business Costco.

Also it sound like your SO's samply happy ways frustrate you. So... have him go without you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, but the closest Costco is SOOO close and convenient ... and I doubt a business one will have all the stuff I want.

Do they have everything the other Costcos have, just no free samples?
I doubt it.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

Nope.

Also, nothing is 'free'.

Can you say judgmental? What happened to your people vary and not having others beliefs pushed on you? I can just hear you on here if a family of seventeen dropped condoms into the cart of you and your so. Entire family from the old country, glad someone else did not say that. For someone who takes others to task for intolerance you sure have a lot to say here. What is the old saying about not dishing it if you can not take it.

Just because you don't want the samples, and I do not eat them either, is no reason to try to ruin others enjoyment. I have taken the sample and given it to the person shopping with me. Many do not wish to buy the large packages of items they do not end up liking. To quote you, "people vary".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1413935785|3770682 said:

Nope.

Also, nothing is 'free'.

Can you say judgmental? What happened to your people vary and not having others beliefs pushed on you? I can just hear you on here if a family of seventeen dropped condoms into the cart of you and your so. Entire family from the old country, glad someone else did not say that. For someone who takes others to task for intolerance you sure have a lot to say here. What is the old saying about not dishing it if you can not take it.

Just because you don't want the samples, and I do not eat them either, is no reason to try to ruin others enjoyment. I have taken the sample and given it with the person shopping with me. Many do not wish to buy the large packages of items they do not end up liking. To quote you, "people vary".

Yes people vary.
Some suck.

I judge, and so do you.
I just don't lie about it.
If you didn't judge you'd let your 14 year old daughter date that 58-year old homeless registered sex offender who lives under the bridge.

Judging is not only a very good thing; it's essential and healthy.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1413936023|3770685 said:
crown1|1413935785|3770682 said:

Nope.

Also, nothing is 'free'.

Just because you don't want the samples, and I do not eat them either, is no reason to try to ruin others enjoyment. I have taken the sample and given it with the person shopping with me. Many do not wish to buy the large packages of items they do not end up liking. To quote you, "people vary".

Yes people vary.
Some suck.

I judge, and so do you.
I just don't lie about it.
If you didn't judge you'd let your 14 year old daughter date that 58-year old homeless guy who lives under the bridge.

Thanks for proving me right. You can dish it but you can't take it. Carry on doing what you do best telling others how it is. I am out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1413933436|3770658 said:
Thanks, but the closest Costco is SOOO close and convenient ... and I doubt a business one will have all the stuff I want.

Do they have everything the other Costcos have, just no free samples?
I doubt it.

No. But they had a LOT of it. And things they DON'T have at the regular Costco. :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Costco near us does not have free samples during the busiest (weekends) time so at least they try to manage the crowding that way. I agree that it sometimes can be frustrating the way people crowd around for the samples and block the aisles. It's like some of them have never seen food before LOL.

Having said that if it is a product I am interested in buying and they are offering a taste I would try it if there weren't crowds around that specific sample stand. In fact that's how we got our Vitamix(es). It was at the local Costco at the beach and they had a couple showing what the Vitamix could do and my dh and I sampled a smoothie they made and listened to the presentation (it was not crowded at all when we went another plus at the beach Costco!) and we were hooked. So yeah it is a good business plan and for us it was a win win. I might not have been so quick to spend the big bucks for the Vitamix had we not learned what it could do firsthand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results