shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, TL. I appreciate your input. It does indeed seem to be harder and harder to come by.

I hadn't looked at the two side-by-side until I uploaded them this morning. And pretty much as soon as I did that, my gut agreed with both of you. My fingers are crossed yet again.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I bet that Afghan tourm will be TDF, and I'm super jealous! I've inquired about those from him but hadn't gotten him to agree to do one on commission. Can't wait to see yours though!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Jereni. I sure hope it is! At least, that's what I'm counting on. ;-)

I can relate. The first time we spoke he never brought it up. But this time he did. Not sure why, but boy am I thankful.

Me too! :D

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice Sparklie!... Glad he was able to cut something for you. I've tried several times like Jereni in the past, even tried to pay a deposit because... but to no avail. he said so many have bailed out on him once they commissioned something? :-o but I'm out of the gem market now... So lucky duck you! Cant wait to see it done :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, DandT. :) I've tried to make it as clear as possible, without putting my first-born down as collateral, that I'm extremely interested and not going to bail. :lol: Fingers crossed he does indeed come through and cut it so I can scoop it up and make it mine.

S

SparkliesLuver

First, I have to say that waiting stinks. How does everyone do it?! :wall:

Second, I heard from a different vendor last night with a possibility. Pictures attached. It's a bar cut. Never seen one in person but it looks sparkly. I didn't think they could have a window but it looks like it might - or is that a tilt window? It's obviously a fraction of the price of what the one vendor will be, but I also understand that sometimes you get what you pay for. All I know right now is that it's just over 4 carats.

Thoughts?

img_5926.jpg

img_5927.jpg

indicolite_2.jpg

indicolite_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like waiting because it gives me more time/opportunity to save up to buy that stone. :lol:

Hmmm...I'm usually forgiving of cut but that darker colouration and bar cut does not appeal to me at all. Was it cut as a bar cut to open up the dark/closed C axis? I think what you are seeing is a tilt window due to the bar cut design.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Good point, Chrono. I'm trying to delicately work on DH to do that. ;-) The suspense is killing me though! And the other vendor I've been working with for awhile now is about to cut his largest Montana sapphire rough today. Can't wait to see that one, too.

I'm not sure. I'd have to ask. So you'd pass on this one?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I'd pass. For someone else, who knows, perhaps they like it a lot more than I do. IMHO, a tourmaline needs a busy cut because it is a low RI stone (not naturally sparkly and will tilt window easily). In addition, that darkness is likely to be bothersome/more obvious under indoor lighting.

S

SparkliesLuver

I think your point of a busy cut is what I need to remember. With the Litnon tourmaline, it basically died when I was at home, and the tilt window was obvious. At work, under all the lights, it wasn't bad. Thanks for the reminders, Chrono. I feel like my mind has been somewhere else these past couple days.

ETA: Oh, and Laura from Gemfix said I wouldn't like their darker teal spinel. She said it was too dark for me (based upon my inspiration photos), so I passed.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tourmaline is going to be darker IRL.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for confirming, TL. I definitely don't want (to pay for) a black hole.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one just like that, you have to tilt it a certain way, and look at it under a certain lighting, to get some sparkle/color.

I bought it 20 years ago and it sits in a dark box. You really have to be careful with closed axis indicolite tourmaline.

When are you planning on getting your Afghan tourmaline?

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah. Yeah, I definitely don't want to have to tilt it just right and look at it under the right lighting in order to see it come alive.

I'm not sure. It's up to his schedule. I'm trying not to bug him as I know that's annoying. But hopefully within the next couple weeks.

There is another vendor who is cutting a Montana sapphire (hopefully today) and says it should be a nice blue-green. We'll see what happens with that, too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414501013|3773802 said:
Ah. Yeah, I definitely don't want to have to tilt it just right and look at it under the right lighting in order to see it come alive.

I'm not sure. It's up to his schedule. I'm trying not to bug him as I know that's annoying. But hopefully within the next couple weeks.

There is another vendor who is cutting a Montana sapphire (hopefully today) and says it should be a nice blue-green. We'll see what happens with that, too.

Speaking of indicolite and Afghans, I have them on this hand (ignore the spessartite). Old picture with crappy camera, but you get the idea how the colors are. I really like this indicolite, but I haven't found a setting for it yet. The Afghan was cut by Jerry Newman from a piece of rough I had (bad pic here). Neither stone "closes up" under various light sources.

file.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so much for the example picture, TL. I love those as they help me see a "real life" example. Very nice. I really don't want a stone that closes up or only looks nice under one type of lighting. I'm sure the setting you find for your indicolite will have a halo, although that'd make for quite a sizable ring. ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandT|1413824813|3769849 said:
Nice Sparklie!... Glad he was able to cut something for you. I've tried several times like Jereni in the past, even tried to pay a deposit because... but to no avail. he said so many have bailed out on him once they commissioned something? :-o but I'm out of the gem market now... So lucky duck you! Cant wait to see it done :appl:

I need to check my e-mails again, however, I vaguely remember him saying he would only take on commission work by requesting a deposit up front. However, the figure he mentioned was small compared to another cutter.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I happened to catch the steps as they lit up, but this is my Afghan tourmaline with a bright and open colour. I also wish it is many times larger than it is all too often as well. :bigsmile: The colour is so nice that I do not mind it being a "boring" step cut.

150_ct.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I expressed serious, genuine interest in the rough he has (and was totally upfront about my budget), but that's all. I haven't paid a deposit so technically he isn't commissioning anything for me. He expressed his dislike for commission work so this is how we agreed to proceed.

The color on your Afghan tourmaline is beautiful, Chrono. Really. Wow. I didn't know you had that. :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,

That is a very nice Indicolite, thanks for sharing! :love:

I would set it as a pendant in a diamond halo setting, as an interchangeable drop below a bale with a Rubellite Tourmaline.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you SL. I also have this one at 3.26 ct with an open c axis but it is a lot greener. As you can see, this stone really benefits from the busier cut design.

326_ct.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stones Chrono. Sorry for the slight threadjack, but I want to see your Afghan princess cut in a pendant set with the corners pointing North and South (baseball diamond configuration). :naughty:

Thanks Sparklie, DK.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414502124|3773811 said:
I expressed serious, genuine interest in the rough he has (and was totally upfront about my budget), but that's all. I haven't paid a deposit so technically he isn't commissioning anything for me. He expressed his dislike for commission work so this is how we agreed to proceed.

Due to the big time zone difference, I always miss out on his goodies, as they are normally snapped up by the others in no time soon after he sends out his mail shots about new stones.

He appreciates the issue I have. Perhaps that's why he has not say no to me about commission work. Fingers crossed that he will consider it when my piggy bank is healthier.

S

SparkliesLuver

dk168 said:
Due to the big time zone difference, I always miss out on his goodies, as they are normally snapped up by the others in no time soon after he sends out his mail shots about new stones.

He appreciates the issue I have. Perhaps that's why he has not say no to me about commission work. Fingers crossed that he will consider it when my piggy bank is healthier.

I'm sure he will, DK. My fingers are crossed for you. That's great he appreciates your situation.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my Afghan tourmaline (mostly pale minty green with a touch of blue - much lighter in tone and saturation than what is normally preferred, but I still enjoy it). I know this is a round stone, but I would agree that tourms (esp the lighter toned ones) absolutely benefit from a busier cut (here it's a RB). The vendor still has some Afghan tourmaline available but not sure if he only has rounds...

I have two light blue /green tourmalines and both of them differed a lot from the vendor photos, but they turned out to be tricky to photograph, since they look very different in different lighting situations.

uploadfromtaptalk1411174768506.jpg
2014-09-19_15.jpg 30397.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Thank you SL. I also have this one at 3.26 ct with an open c axis but it is a lot greener. As you can see, this stone really benefits from the busier cut design.

How in the world did I miss this post?! Chrono! That's stunning. :love: :lickout: You definitely have to keep me posted on your plans for that beauty. It definitely does benefit from the cut. I see what you mean now. Thank you.

Mochiko: Thank you for the pictures! You snagged one of Dana's pretties. :naughty: Do you love it? Are you keeping it? I've seen a lot of rounds (that are usually well-cut) in my search but unfortunately I can't bring myself to own another round. I have reached out to John about this light one and asked for new pictures (even just for research/learning purposes).

ctr4.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414508533|3773859 said:
Chrono said:

How in the world did I miss this post?! Chrono! That's stunning. :love: :lickout: You definitely have to keep me posted on your plans for that beauty. It definitely does benefit from the cut. I see what you mean now. Thank you.

Mochiko: Thank you for the pictures! You snagged one of Dana's pretties. :naughty: Do you love it? Are you keeping it? I've seen a lot of rounds (that are usually well-cut) in my search but unfortunately I can't bring myself to own another round. I have reached out to John about this light one and asked for new pictures (even just for research/learning purposes).

Gahhh.... that is gorgeous. I hope it has that saturation and brightness in RL!! I'm still kind of a newbie to all this but is that a barion emerald cut?? Looks amaazzzinnnnngggg......please do share additional photos if you can :cheeky: :cheeky:

ETA: just saw your other question..(was too blinded by your photo!) yes I'm keeping it. It was a little different from what I expected based on the vendor photos, but I fell in love just the same with its subtle charms. :) :) Putting it in a cocktail ring (vintage-inspired bezel ring with engraving /cutwork and milgrain)!!

S

SparkliesLuver

We'll see! He said they were having some lens fogging issues when it was taken, hence my request for updated pictures. I'll definitely post them here once I receive them. :D I'm new to all of this too but I believe it's a radiant style cut. I could be wrong though.

haha No worries. That's great you fell for its charm and are keeping it. :) Ooooo. I'll have to keep an eye out for your thread on setting it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping for the best! :pray:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklieslover, is that from John B or another John? I don't see that one on John B's site...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results