shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond riviera necklace - too dressy to own??

karaboyd

Rough_Rock
I'm a LONG time lurker, first time poster. I have a diamond riviera necklace which was a gift from my in laws, and it looks very similar to this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Sy_dZUaAx...ng+Riviera+Diamond+Necklace+$4875+Photo+2.JPG

It's beautiful, but I can't think of anything to wear it with other than a strapless dress at a black tie event (and I don't go to many of those!). I live in Australia and my social circle is under 30 and very understated in their jewellery.

My question is, do you think this style of necklace is strictly formal/black tie? I.e. would it look out of place wearing it to cocktail style events? Other people's weddings? Maybe if I wore it without earrings to lessen the blingpact?

I'm thinking of converting it into a bracelet (though the stones are graduated so might look weird), because then at least I'd feel less self conscious and could get a lot more wear out of it.

Maybe as I get older I'll feel less self conscious and be able to wear it out to dinner? It's the most expensive piece of jewellery I own, I hate that I don't wear it much!

What would you do?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Riviera necklaces, very classy, elegant and not too showy IMHO. If money if no object, I would have bought myself one ages ago.

However, being on beer money salary with champagne tastes, it is not going to happen unless I win the lottery.

I agree this type of necklace is more suited for formal occasions.

It would be a shame to break it up, however, it is equally a shame to have it sitting in the dark in a safe deposit box.

How about taking some of the stones out of their settings for re-modelling without destroying the necklace setting?

For example, Diamond By The Yard type of necklace/bracelet that are more wearable; the larger stones as a line pendant; etc. etc...

This way, you can return the stones to their original settings at a later date when you have more opportunities to attend formal events and wear the necklace.

Love the necklace by the way, a very nice and generous gift from your in-laws, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wear the necklace while you can. Seriously, I would not wear it to the movies or a soccer game but a fancy evening out at a glam cocktail party wedding etc-why not! After all, you are only young once and as we age the neck is not so pretty. I hate to see beautiful jewelry just it in a box. I have a pretty gold necklace the same length and as I have aged (and gained weight) the necklace does not lay as beautifully as it did when I bought it. I never wore it much as it too was $$ and special.

karaboyd

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies! This is the necklace. I think you're right, I should wear it while I have the chance, I'm sure other people don't pay as much attention to jewelry anyway (or will probably think it's fake)

imageuploadedbytapatalk1413325877.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1413325888.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd wear it to the movies and you are right: most people won't know it is the real deal.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
This is purely personal opinion, but if I had that necklace I would wear it all the time! Should it be for more formal occasions? Socially speaking, probably, but I'm the kind of girl to wear my fabulous bling with jeans and a flannel button up shirt. ;-) You only live once, wear what makes you happy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely necklace!

It is versatile: wear it as a necklace alone or layered with pearls or gold or leather and add charms. Same on your wrist, doubled as a bracelet alone or with bangles, or charms/beads. Mix it up, dress it up or down.

cheers--Sharon

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would be perfect at a wedding or cocktail party, with a pretty dress. Go for it!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I love the extra detailing on your riviera. They look like pears!

I have a riviera as well - just a single line of diamonds. It was also a family gift. Frankly though, I feel if you've got it, flaunt it!

I wear it to more dressy work events, weddings, cocktail parties, and more expensive dinner dates with my husband. Pretty much any occasion that's slightly fancier than ordinary. I'm about your age too, and I initially thought maybe it was too much to wear out, but leaving it to rot in my jewellery box is not my style either. Usually no one really notices, I think. On rare occasion, I'll get a comment like, hey - is that real? haha. Most people don't pay attention to what you have on, and yes - they may assume it's fake, which is fine by me because it makes me feel like a million bucks! ;-) Enjoy it. It's beautiful.

karaboyd

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies. Now I feel like it was silly to even have a complex about it [emoji5]. I have a friend's wedding coming up so it will make its debut!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful necklace and I understand your issue but I think layering it with a few other delicate necklaces, minus earrings would "tone it down" a little in formality. I'd rock it with a tshirt, jeans and high heels!

Scandalous1

Rough_Rock
Another vote to wear it all the time! Gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results