shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help, is this Zales engagement ring a good buy??????

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help, is this Zales engagement ring a good buy???

Steve708|1413751840|3769503 said:
Thanks for all your help guys. I think we've got it finalized on a princess cut now. Since the ring she likes is for a princess cut diamond, that's the route we'll go. So I'm a little confused, the one I sent solo by itself, even tho its a k, since it's a princess cut do we think that will look fine?

What we are saying is that I would not buy a K princess cut unless she sees one in person. Do you think she might be able to see an AGS or GIA graded K in person?

And of the K's we liked, we liked the K in that group of links you posted. The .9 ct

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413753432|3769517 said:
Sorry to keep asking questions. Theres two Ks that are .90 carats.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.90-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-313586
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.90-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-308994

The first is $500 cheaper so if theyre close Id go that route. But if the other is a lot better than I would rather spend $500 if I am getting a significantly better stone

the VS1 is significantly better.

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Also, the goodoldgold.com ring that you said was a long shot isnt coming up when i click on the link. Is there an item number or something I can use to search to find that ring. That ring is beautiful

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413753826|3769522 said:
Also, the goodoldgold.com ring that you said was a long shot isnt coming up when i click on the link. Is there an item number or something I can use to search to find that ring. That ring is beautiful

I know right. I cant say as to why it wont show up in the link, but if you contact them, just reference the ring, and im certain they could either provide more photos or other info.....

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ContactUs/

here is there contact page, i would just reference it as "the ritani endless love .7 princess cut ring" you have for sale, or something, theyll know.

in the meantime, here are some other examples of that type of ring
these are probably closer to 1ct vs .7 cts but itll give you an idea of the setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_evqTcGLkA

c97cf6c3c3199b952c517b5a05396de9.jpg

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Thanks again. One last quesion for you and Im done. Think I got this all figured out now. My last question is if I do get this band

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-split-shank-princess-shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477

where can I get a wedding band for it at? I clicked on matching wedding bands on the site and it said that they dont have any matching bands. Go figure, I finally figure out what I want and now cant find a wedding band

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413754664|3769527 said:
Thanks again. One last quesion for you and Im done. Think I got this all figured out now. My last question is if I do get this band

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-split-shank-princess-shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477

where can I get a wedding band for it at? I clicked on matching wedding bands on the site and it said that they dont have any matching bands. Go figure, I finally figure out what I want and now cant find a wedding band
Haha you can't be done! You have to come back and tell us how you did, with lots of pictures!

As for wedding bands, you don't have to get them in the same place, they don't even have to be matching! I wouldnt worry about it now. Buy an engagement ring she likes and when you are ready to buy wedding bands, walk into a store and have her try on as many as she wants, she will see which look good with her ring and which don't.

Then, she can either but it from them, or shop online to fine a better quality/cheaper one if she so chooses.

Also, if you really are content buying that k princess without seeing them in person that's fine, just propose before the return period and if she doesn't like it James Allen is great with returns.

I'd ask someone at James Allen to hold that diamond for you so no one else buys it while you wait to hear from good old gold- if you are contacting them

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Sounds good, thanks again! I thought that I had to have a wedding band that specifically followed the bends and curves of the engagement ring. I will definitely keep you posted after I pull the trigger and post pics. Thanks again

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413753826|3769522 said:

3rd row down here:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/GOGstealsanddeals/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A K colored princess cut is going to appear yellowish next to a halo. I recently helped my son-in-law's brother get a similar ring and the princess cut stone was I color. That is honestly as low as I would go in a princess cut.

I think this is the setting he chose (because it is what she wanted, also a princess halo):

Note that it can be as low as $1300+ to $2000+ based on the size stone in the center and size of the setting.

https://bridal.gabrielny.com/product/ER9255W44JJ

If it were me, I'd go with the Gabriel setting to allow more money for the diamond. The family member got a stone from Good Old Gold in I color under a carat and the ring looked great. GOG sells Gabriel settings which is why he bought both there. His total budget was $4000 and he was able to do it. They can find you an excellent cut princess stone to meet your budget.

One more note. Gabriel does have a band shown with the ring which has a slight curve, but I think the vast majority of people here choose a straight band in case they ever want to wear the band alone or with another band or two. Gabriel has the same band in straight style as well.

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Thank you diamondseeker, that band is beautiful. I think that's our new favorite. Is prices on goodoldgold negotiable?

Steve708

Rough_Rock

And thank you ecf8503

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413764666|3769574 said:
Thank you diamondseeker, that band is beautiful. I think that's our new favorite. Is prices on goodoldgold negotiable?
No not typically. And on overage their stones are usually priced higher than other vendors. If you like that setting, I'd suggest idjewelry. They also sell that brand and typically their stones are very reasonable

Steve708

Rough_Rock

I like the band from good old gold. But their diamonds are a lot more than James Allen. Is there any way I can buy the band from one place and Diamond from another? Also what other good sites are there to find diamonds at a good price?

LUNAJEWELS

Rough_Rock

Steve708

Rough_Rock

Niel that idjewelry site is great! Thank you. They have the band I like and good deals on stones. What's the lowest clarity you would recommend?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I cannot offer any more than others have so far ... BUT, while the wedding band might be a later thought & process, your lady might want to consider that by going with a halo, she may not find a band that sits flush to the ring if the halo design is wider underneath. Some ladies don't mind a gap between their ering & band; others don't like that look. It's purely a personal preference. Just some food for thought as you consider ering setting options. Best wishes in your ering journey and congratulations on your upcoming engagement! :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413766051|3769586 said:
Niel that idjewelry site is great! Thank you. They have the band I like and good deals on stones. What's the lowest clarity you would recommend?

Remember, you cant pick fancies by numbers. I would email them and ask them to find you one. Say something about being a pricescope member, and you want a Pricescope quality GIA or AGS quality princess. You want it eye clean, you want it I or better, or you want it whatever ctw you are comfortable with.... like .75 maybe?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know you weren't looking at Ks however I wanted to show you this, as this has strong blue fluro that will probably face up much whiter than "normal" ks without blue fluro.

Although you may see some inclusions, princess are very good at hiding them due to their facet pattern, and even though this has extremely thin girdle in some sections. once bezel, I would suspect no problems (you may have to ask them for modification on the below settings) or keep as is, because of the halo, it will protect it pretty nicely.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-k-color-si1-clarity-sku-313685

Get an ASET cuz this is not "IDEAL" parameters, but better quality than the zales you posted, and it is upgradeable in the future.

and this setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-split-shank-princess-shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477 puts you about $500 over

or this setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-and-shank-diamond-engagement-ring-princess-center-item-17433

puts you under the $4k budget.

Forgive me if I've repeated someone else....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve708|1413765194|3769580 said:
I like the band from good old gold. But their diamonds are a lot more than James Allen. Is there any way I can buy the band from one place and Diamond from another? Also what other good sites are there to find diamonds at a good price?

Their diamonds are not a lot more than other vendors when you compare apples to apples. They have called in a stone for me before that was also on the James Allen site and they would price match with no further information but I wanted them to run light performance testing and send me a video, and that cost a few hundred extra. In addition they have a 100% amount paid upgrade policy if she ever decides she wants something different or you want to upgrade for an anniversary. I think it is extremely important to buy a well cut stone, and GOG does the work for you finding one. As I said, my family member just bought that same setting THIS year and put an I color diamond in it (can't remember the exact size but around .75 cts) for $4000 total.

If you buy setting and diamond from different places, you are going to end up paying more for a setting fee and I don't think you'll come out better in the end.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just don't think that a K color stone is going to look a lot whiter because of fluorescence because one isn't in UV lighting all that much, and a K princess in a halo is going to show the tint. Plus, to be honest, that last stone posted has black globs in it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1413770333|3769600 said:
Steve708|1413765194|3769580 said:

Their diamonds are not a lot more than other vendors when you compare apples to apples. They have called in a stone for me before that was also on the James Allen site and they would price match with no further information but I wanted them to run light performance testing and send me a video, and that cost a few hundred extra. In addition they have a 100% amount paid upgrade policy if she ever decides she wants something different or you want to upgrade for an anniversary. I think it is extremely important to buy a well cut stone, and GOG does the work for you finding one. As I said, my family member just bought that same setting THIS year and put an I color diamond in it (can't remember the exact size but around .75 cts) for $4000 total.

If you buy setting and diamond from different places, you are going to end up paying more for a setting fee and I don't think you'll come out better in the end.
Their diamonds typically are more expensive. Its not a complaint so much as a fact. The services they provide cost money. The services are great, but not really realistic when on a tight budget. If your budget is 10k, gog is great! If your budget is 4, there are other places that provide "less" services, that you don't necessarily need, and thus pass less of the overhead to the customer.

That's great to hear someone got a great some in their budget from them. I'm not saying it absolutely always going to cost more or they can't find good stones in a budget, just that from my experience people have better success with other vendors when on a lower budget.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1413770626|3769601 said:
I just don't think that a K color stone is going to look a lot whiter because of fluorescence because one isn't in UV lighting all that much, and a K princess in a halo is going to show the tint. Plus, to be honest, that last stone posted has black globs in it.

Some people aren't too bothered by some inclusion and not sure if he is or isn't showing biggest I could find in his budget. Once haloed I doubt he can see the entire pavilion if any.
I beleive strong fluro helps even a tiny bit.

Just giving alternative as some people don't need the super ideal tight cuts or I color or above in a smaller size. Much better cut size and better than zales at least.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DandT|1413771910|3769609 said:
diamondseeker2006|1413770626|3769601 said:

Some people aren't too bothered by some inclusion and not sure if he is or isn't showing biggest I could find in his budget. Once haloed I doubt he can see the entire pavilion if any.
I beleive strong fluro helps even a tiny bit.

Just giving alternative as some people don't need the super ideal tight cuts or I color or above in a smaller size. Much better cut size and better than zales at least.
I agree. I'm not against that nice .9 k he was considering. I mean, shoot, if she was looking at Is at Zales, good chance a few of those were ks anyways. If he's completely content ordering it with the chance he may want to return it, that's fine. Or even better, go see some in person. A k isn't a bad thing, lord knows I love mine. But it's just a matter of taste, and if she likes the color and size.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

last post, and I just want to applaud him for even considering K colors. Majority of people coming on here, all they consider is I color and above and anything lower is consider a "negative" in most books, at least he is opened minded to K color.

In any case, anything you choose here from the posters recommending the diamonds you will surely get a better quality cut diamond than the listing you showed us from zales

Though when/if you are handling loose stones, yourself as new as you are to the diamond scene, you may think everything will appear too tinted from the side... but it will not show this tint readily when it is mounted or even set in a semi mount, not just the faux tension mount that comes with the loose stone.

Anyways, Good luck with your search! Many have recommend some beautiful stones, though I sense you want a larger center. After many diamond purchases from D Color down to GIA fancy colors fancy shapes, ACAs, Expert Selection, Brian Gavin. GoG James Allen etc... Hey I don't discriminate against anyone of these vendors or colors anymore, its just really a matter of taste, although Cut is key, I am a bit laxed on those as well in some areas. Enjoy your time on PS. You are doing the right thing by being here. :wavey:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

What about buying some pre loved? This isn't exactly what you are looking for but still beautiful and on sale this week!! personally I like some of the options Neil offered but I'm also into size so I would waiver on other things to get a bigger size. You can always upgrade to a setting you like more. Or ask Erica if she would sell you the diamond only.

Antique cushion:
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-15ct-est-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-ring-i-j-si1/

OEC:
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/0-95ct-old-european-cut-diamond-ring-i-j-si1/

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I think that you have received many great options and help so far OP. I think the Good Old Gold would be optimal because I consider that the best value and no I do not think it is much more expensive because the center stone has a much better cut. This is the most important factor and then pair that with much better color, a G VS2 would be ideal for an engagement ring center stone. Some people like the creamy look a K can offer but many do not especially for engagement rings. In a princess and with a halo the tint will show quite a bit. While I generally prefer high whites or fancy colors and some very low on the letter scale, I have nothing against some gorgeous K-s, they can really vary though, some are more attractive than others. The tint could be yellow or brown, etc., she may not like them all equally. I think a princess is not the case when I would recommend a K, for a very large stone or for a vintage cut it would could be a stunning color but in an under 1 ct engagement ring princess center I would highly recommend that you remain more conservative with the color. If you go with a K and she really does like this color IRL, the VS was far better.

Secondly, the quality of the setting of the GOG is very high and there you have it in one package. Do make sure you see some K princesses IRL before you commit to one. If you were in the market for an over 3 carat OEC I would say a K would be a wonderful choice, not here.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a cushion but a nice square one. They have returns, and an OBO. I'd probably offer 3k. IF her finger is close to a 5.5
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181544734813&alt=web

I'm still afan of that gog ritani sense she likes squares and we know its a nice stone but I just don't know if they would consider an offer.

uploadfromtaptalk1413805064865.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results