carat
color
clarity

Good Combination? Need advice!

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
Good evening all,

My GF has hinted that she strongly likes the following:

http://www.annasheffield.com/collections/engagement/products/hazeline-round-champagne-3?variant=216631378

I talked to them, and they said if I bring in my own diamond, they can set it for me...I have been looking online for days now, and think I found a good combination:

I-VS2
1.20 ct
Excellent Cut

This is one I've found so far:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-314444

So the questions I have are the following:

1: The reason I went with I-VS2 is I was told with the gold setting, I through F wouldn't really matter...is this correct? Do you think I should drop ct down and upgrade to a H or G?
2: The ring shown is with a Champagne Diamond Center. Do you all think it would look good with the White Diamond I posted?
3: I made sure to find a ring with No Florescence...was this necessary?

I've been going aboslutely nuts switching back and forth between I and G, 1.2 ct and 1.0, etc etc etc! I'm looking to keep the diamond under $8,000, so if there is any other option you can think of I would love to see!

Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it!

Best

Lost_Buyer

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need_Help_Now|1413670389|3769200 said:
Update: I also just found out about "HCA", so I have updated a Diamond that I think is a solid pick to go with the above setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-302359

I think it gave an HCA score of 1.2 or 1.3...Can someone put these in terms I could understand. Or with an I-VS2, does HCA even matter?

Size wise, I noticed a difference from 1.0 to 1.2 and I color is very colorless still, no one who sees this will question the color. People will see the sparkle of a well cut stone, and size over color unless you really wanted to buy an intended colored stone.

I like this diamond. you can check it out in person, and I think you will be pleased.

Are you putting in yellow gold? if so, then I would stick with I color. Just remember some of the gold will reflect a bit off the diamond from the prong but it will still be white.

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
DandT|1413671229|3769206 said:
Need_Help_Now|1413670389|3769200 said:
Update: I also just found out about "HCA", so I have updated a Diamond that I think is a solid pick to go with the above setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-302359

I think it gave an HCA score of 1.2 or 1.3...Can someone put these in terms I could understand. Or with an I-VS2, does HCA even matter?

Size wise, I noticed a difference from 1.0 to 1.2 and I color is very colorless still, no one who sees this will question the color. People will see the sparkle of a well cut stone, and size over color unless you really wanted to buy an intended colored stone.

I like this diamond. you can check it out in person, and I think you will be pleased.

Are you putting in yellow gold? if so, then I would stick with I color. Just remember some of the gold will reflect a bit off the diamond from the prong but it will still be white.

This would be put in the exact setting above (14 kt Yellow Gold). From the HCA score, I think this would sparkle very nicely. It's also a little bigger then I originally thought I would be getting, at 1.13 ct. Do you think it would look good in Yellow Gold?

I think the one we're talking about here has everything!

Cut - Excellent
HCA Score: 1.3
Caret: 1.13
Color: I
Clarity: VS2

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to make sure she likes yellow gold? and not just the design?

JA has a similar feel/look of the design you are interested in... the basket feels the similar to me, without the diamonds on the shank...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/designer-engagement-rings/18k-yellow-gold-spring-blossom-six-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7225

I love both yellow gold and white metal, in fact for 5-7 years I wore only yellow gold and I've set I and J colored Round diamonds in yellow gold, I love the look, bright bold white color against buttery yellow its a lovely combination.

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
DandT|1413672063|3769212 said:
I just want to make sure she likes yellow gold? and not just the design?

JA has a similar feel/look of the design you are interested in... the basket feels the similar to me, without the diamonds on the shank...

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/designer-engagement-rings/18k-yellow-gold-spring-blossom-six-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7225

I love both yellow gold and white metal, in fact for 5-7 years I wore only yellow gold and I've set I and J colored Round diamonds in yellow gold, I love the look, bright bold white color against buttery yellow its a lovely combination.

So I asked for some suggestions (they all came from the same place), and 8/10 had yellow gold as the setting (all price ranges). I was nervous about changing the champagne middle to a while middle. I want to stick with the setting since she has her heart set on AnnaSheffield (2 blocks from our apt, has that local feel, etc), but wanted to surprise her with a bigger ct, more sparkle!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww gotcha!... I'm all for supporting local business as well, the heart wants what the heart wants, and you are a good man to give her a bright well cut sparkly rock to put that in. Make sure its custom created to fit your stone though, and not a stock setting.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
table is bigger than the depth. the crown is a bit shallow. its a not a bad stone and heck I would by it myself, because I don't need the exact ideal dimension since these difference will be so marginal for the everyday consumer.

Some items to consider is the shallow the crown- more chip hazard it can be.. although diamonds are pretty strong

this stone may exhibit more "white light" brilliance return, vs your first choice with possibly more scintillation and fire balance than this stone. The face up size is nice and would be noticeable, very close to 7mm.

Some people may prefer the brilliance and to fire balance. If its between two stone you like is there any possibility to see them in person? or buy both and return one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-314874
Are you a cut nut guy? that needs the precise ideal numbers? if so then this stone may not be the right one for you

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
DandT|1413673616|3769220 said:
table is bigger than the depth. the crown is a bit shallow. its a not a bad stone and heck I would by it myself, because I don't need the exact ideal dimension since these difference will be so marginal for the everyday consumer.

Some items to consider is the shallow the crown- more chip hazard it can be.. although diamonds are pretty strong

this stone may exhibit more "white light" brilliance return, vs your first choice with possibly more scintillation and fire balance than this stone. The face up size is nice and would be noticeable, very close to 7mm.

Some people may prefer the brilliance and to fire balance. If its between two stone you like is there any possibility to see them in person? or buy both and return one.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-314874
Are you a cut nut guy? that needs the precise ideal numbers? if so then this stone may not be the right one for you

Honestly, the only reason I filtered on Ideal Cut was because I was told that would be the most important aspect for a diamond. I just want a nice size diamond (1.13 and 1.21 both are good for me) that sparkles on the GF's hand...Neither of us are diamond experts by any means! That's why I've gone back and forth for days now, since I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

I can't buy both, but I could get the 1.21 ct and then return it within 60 days if I don't like it. Or I could buy the other one and do the same thing!

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
Now I see the Polish is only Very Good on the second one (bigger/cheaper) one!

Maybe that's part of the reason

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your help by the way! I'll be sure to send you a picture when it's done. So I've compiled the stats here between the two choices...All I'm looking for is a good sized, sparkly diamond!

Option 1:

1.21 Ct
I-VS2
Excellent Cut (GIA)
HCA: 1.8 (Scintillation: Very Good)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Price: $7,140

Option 2:

1.13 Ct
I-VS2
Excellent Cut (GIA)
HCA: 1.3 (Scintillation: Excellent)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Price: $7,980

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly... I would go with the 1.13 as that has overall balance of fire and brilliance. If it was just another ring, anniversary ring, or just because I want another diamond and I already have a great looking diamond or two in my jewelry box, then I'd buy the larger... but this is for you and its an Engagement ring ::)

As for the polish, its usually last on my priority list and Very Good polish is still worth considering, but with all other factors, such as the table, and shallow depth and crown, I would go with the 1.13... But it is your choice, and if you would like to do the buy/return and then choose the one? its up to you.

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
DandT|1413674955|3769233 said:
honestly... I would go with the 1.13 as that has overall balance of fire and brilliance. If it was just another ring, anniversary ring, or just because I want another diamond and I already have a great looking diamond or two in my jewelry box, then I'd buy the larger... but this is for you and its an Engagement ring ::)

As for the polish, its usually last on my priority list and Very Good polish is still worth considering, but with all other factors, such as the table, and shallow depth and crown, I would go with the 1.13... But it is your choice, and if you would like to do the buy/return and then choose the one? its up to you.

That's all I was looking for. Thanks a million for your opinion and all of your help. I was leaning towards the 1.13 due to the brilliance/fire, good to know someone agrees

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the crown angle on the 1.13 is just a bit steeper, but my honest opinion since I've had both 32 degree and 35.5 crown angle diamonds before, I like the steeper crown angle the best with the right combo and gives just a bit more fire than the shallow crown. I think you will be pleased with the diamond when you see it. Enjoy and if it doesn't do it for you, JA is awesome to work with easy return. There is nothing better than seeing a diamond in real life and enjoying seeing in your environment and how it behaves.

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
DandT|1413676700|3769241 said:
Dancing Fire|1413670446|3769201 said:

This is a very nice option too...

This is prime example of IDEAL

Haha even more diamonds to look at...in addition to that one, I found a bigger one on JA that had Excellent on all Light/Fire/Scintillation, and unless you all can find something wrong with it, might have jumped up to number 1...either this one or the 1.13 we decided upon earlier! :shock:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.17-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-299608

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh boy, the size difference is very neglible. between the two, I would ask for an Idealscope and maybe their input. the depth is slightly deeper too at which point I would start to ask for more images just to confirm leakage issue but I do like this new stone too.

Need_Help_Now

Rough_Rock
Made the purchase, no more second guessing now!

Again, thanks for all of the help!

Best,

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results