shape
carat
color
clarity

My indecisiveness is driving me mental! Two dilemmas. Help.

umbrella

Rough_Rock
Ok. My engagement ring shopping indecisiveness is driving me (and my boyfriend) mad and I'm in desperate need of opinions. I have 2 dilemmas which I need help with.

Firstly, the only things that I am 100% certain of are:
a) the ring must be platinum and art deco inspired
b) the diamond must be an AVR. I may consider an antique OEC if I can be assured it will be a showstopper.

First dilemma. Halo or Solitaire. I have tried on so, so many ring styles and my heart has skipped a beat with two particular settings - one halo and one solitaire. The halo featured a .40ct J colour transitional cut centre stone. It is dainty and darling, but the small size of the diamond makes it impossible to appreciate the beautiful chunky facets. And I know I'd get DSS in like one week, lol. If I were to decide the halo option, I would have it custom made with about a .70 to .80ct AVR. I am worried I will not get exactly what I envision if I went the custom route- I know it can be risky sometimes. The solitaire features a 1.15ct H colour antique OEC. I think this is a bit too big for my liking, I would probably get a .80ct to 1.0ct but in K to M colour. The H was beautiful, but it's out of my budget and I think I would prefer a bit more warmth to the stone, however perhaps going down to an M is too yellow? Should I stick to K/L? The band is also very thin at 1.3mm, I'd have it custom made at 1.8 or 2mm.

The shop owners generously allowed me to photograph the rings so I will include them here (they all look better in person, I promise):

photo_3_0.png
Halo.

handshothalo2.jpg
Halo mirror hand shot.

photo_1_132.jpg
Solitaire. Disregard the halo on the pinky, that is not the one I am considering.

solitairehandshot.jpg
Solitaire mirror hand shot. This is the moment when my heart skipped a beat for the solitaire.

I like the halo because to me it screams art deco and it's a bit different. No one in my social circle has a ring similar, and I doubt they ever will. I like that the bezeled halo offers the centre diamond protection, and the halo obviously offers more finger coverage however I am not too bothered about that. What worries me about the halo is if the custom make won't turn out delicate and exactly like the inspiration (it will be a different jeweller) and I might outgrow the halo, wishing I chose something a bit plainer with better focus on the diamond. I like the solitaire because all of my attention goes to the diamond, the beautiful OEC. The band has stunning engraving and the 6 prongs have delightful pierced details in the basket. Solitaires have proven that they are truly timeless, and this one is just that little bit different than the classic Tiffany setting. I am after something slightly different, but not totally out there. What worries me about the solitaire is I'm not sure it suits my biggish hand (size 6.5) and I may need more finger coverage from the halo as better balance. The setting on this solitaire also seemed quite high, but that's hopefully something which can be lowered slightly if custom made.

What are your personal opinions on the two options? FWIW I think the halo will allow my budget better "finger coverage value", with a budget of 4.5-5k in total. However finger coverage is not my highest concern.

My second dilemma is choosing the AVR. I'm particularly hoping you can help me with the different types of cuts available. To me, some AVR facets are broad and petal like, with almost no space between the facets under the table. Those appeal the most to me online. Whereas other AVRs seem to have narrower facets under the table with some 'gaps' on the outer corners of them. Would these differences be obviously visible in person for a .80ct to 1.0ct diamond? Will one have more obvious OEC features than another?

Examples of the different AVR cuts (neither of these diamonds I am considering):
Broad, petal like facet examples: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12280/
076eavr.jpg

Narrower facet like example: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12314/
101kavr.jpg

Sorry this post is so long! I hope some of you can help me finally make a decision. I look forward to hearing anyone's opinon! You are welcome to share your personal experiences too :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: My indecisiveness is driving me mental! Two dilemmas. He

I LOVE that halo...its sweet, dainty and very feminine! I think Bev-k makes one very similar and is also well constructed and
reasonable priced (IMO). That would be my first choice.

While the solitaire is lovely, it does not look art-deco to me. It just seems like a beautiful solitaire in a pave setting.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/192PP1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/173PP1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/101PP1/

They have more art deco inspired.

So...if you havent figured it out, the halo version would be my choice!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am a solitaire man.. :))

umbrella

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1413653403|3769085 said:
I LOVE that halo...its sweet, dainty and very feminine!

While the solitaire is lovely, it does not look art-deco to me. It just seems like a beautiful solitaire in a pave setting.

Thank you for your input! The photos didn't come out that clear of the solitaire, I should have taken a closer photograph. The solitaire does not have pave on the band, it looks a lot like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-77-Carat-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Crown-Head-18K-White-Gold-/271575178962?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item3f3b245ed2&_uhb=1 With that lovely crown head. But I think I agree with you, the solitaire doesn't look as art deco as the halo. Thanks for posting the Beverley K settings! I have seen those ones before but I couldn't find any side which showed a profile view, but now I've seen it, yay!

Dancing Fire - Thank you! I'm trying to figure out myself if I am a solitaire or halo lady ;-)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1413653827|3769090 said:

Thats not true! You have multiples of everything...diamonds, watches, girlfriends... :-o

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1413654754|3769094 said:

Thats not true! You have multiples of everything...diamonds, watches, girlfriends... :-o
I am diamondLESS.. ;(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="umbrella|

Dancing Fire - Thank you! I'm trying to figure out myself if I am a solitaire or halo lady ;-)[/quote]

Nowadays halos are in style but a classic solitaire will never go out of style.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a solitaire woman :)

I like the diamond to be the center of attraction.
Now my pear does have some melee down the sides, but no halo.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Both rings are lovely. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but the solitaire is stunning!

Remember that you can always get a vintage art deco vibe with your wedding band or some stacking bands. Ebay, Etsy and Rubylane also have vintage rings that would look great with a solitaire.

Let us know what you decide.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

As a owner of a halo, I say solitaire. I have wear halo a year now and I miss the look of solitaire....I had bezel setting and six prong solitaire before halo and I seriously consider solitaire, again :shock:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I reset my OEC into a vintage style halo recently and I really love it - I think solitaires are very pretty, but I like the added visual interest of a halo, a solitaire is a little too plain for me. I actually do see the validity of the argument about halos possibly going out of style in the future, but I think having a vintage style might give the ring a little more staying power. I'm an older woman, and at the risk of sounding morbid I don't have as many years left as you do to wear jewelry, so I'm not really too concerned about my ring going out of style - and I don't really care if it does, I'll wear it anyway! :cheeky: But if you have any concerns at all about your ring eventually being out of fashion, maybe a solitaire is the safer bet. You can't go wrong with either choice in terms of beauty, both styles look lovely on you!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

really like the solitaire look. You can get an art deco inspired type band to pair with the solitaire. When you wear a halo, Sometimes it limits your band choices. Just a thought.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Solitaire

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

My vote would be for a solitaire. Timeless and elegant and you can change up the look with different bands.

However you might want to buy your AVR first, and then decide which setting you feel would suit it best after you have seen it. I had ideas for what kind of setting I wanted, but they changed after I saw my particular diamond.

italy121210

Rough_Rock

First off, i say don't let it drive you mad, enjoy the experience!

It all comes down to what YOU want.

Regarding the different cut AVRs, have you looked at some of gog's vids?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLORYo9uoGs
I had that particular video made for me and my eyes went for the broader facets, both look outstanding though in the video!

Wishing you the best on your decision...

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If my choice were one vs the other, I would go with the solitaire any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Reason being, you have more choice & flexibility to play up the Art Deco love with AD stacking bands while always keeping the ring he proposed with (assuming some sentimentality is desired). But more importantly, a solitaire with a gorgeous stone will allow for changes in taste as you grow/change in life, and I would think it stands a better chance of being enhanced by your changing style vs being replaced. I can emphatically say that what I wanted at 20, 30, and today at 40 are starkly different from each other. One simple solitaire then would have stood the test of time (and change in taste) whereas something with a unique quality that I liked then probably would have gotten "old" for me in time.

Just some perspective from "down the road. ;-)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm in the same category as junebug, being "older". I've hade solitaires, 3- stone, 5-stone and halo.
Go to the solitaire to halo before and after thread. See what you think then. I think DSS with hit down the road with a solitaire. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy this fun journey! :wavey: let us see what you settle on.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire|1413678562|3769254 said:
I'm in the same category as junebug, being "older". I've hade solitaires, 3- stone, 5-stone and halo.
Go to the solitaire to halo before and after thread. See what you think then. I think DSS with hit down the road with a solitaire. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy this fun journey! :wavy: let us see what you settle on.

Bonfire, that's what convinced me to go with a halo! ;)) Halos do provide nice finger coverage, and getting one cured my DSS. :cheeky:

umbrella

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your replies! Those suggested threads were really helpful, particularly the solitaire to halo thread. I'm actually quite surprised by how much I loved most of the transformations to halos. I do love the classic elegance of a solitaire, but trying it on didn't help my confidence issues with my large-ish hands. I felt like the solitaire setting exaggerated my large hands, but maybe that was mainly because the band was super thin. I did feel more confident with the halo, the size looked more balanced on my finger, and it helped create daintiness which just left me in awe. I also love some of the intricacies of the halo, such as the pierced undergallery and very fine milgrain :love:

Like some of you have mentioned, I also have concerns that a halo might be 'trendy' and not stand the test of time how a solitaire has. But honestly I think I'll embrace that. The time that I became engaged is reflected in the ring trend at the time, which I think is a lovely thing. I am a very sentimental person and I am planning to never change the diamond or setting. Stacking art deco bands with the solitaire is a great idea, but for me personally I am not planning on having any more rings than the engagement and wedding band and I never plan to swap out the wedding band to change things up.

Junebug I found your halo engagement ring and it is lovely! Not too dissimilar from the one I tried on. It's great to see some hand shots of it :) I'm like you, I really like the added visual interest of the halo, and good quality filigree/pierced work just mesmerises me.

Evangeline - that's a really great idea to have the AVR sent to me first. It's a little bit more time consuming and pricey for me as I'm in Australia and will be paying extra for international shipping there and back, but at the end of the day it's probably worth it. I noticed your stunning ring is made by David Klass - I am planning on having my engagement ring made by him too!

italy121210 - For the most part I'm loving the experience but every now and then I have my bad days. I think I have watched all of the GOG youtube videos haha. They are really helpful, but mostly only show the diamond very very close up. I wonder if there's much difference between the different cuts from everyday viewing distance.

JoCoJenn - that's very sensible and I think that's the main reason why I'm considering a solitaire, even though for most of my life I was never overly attracted to them. I think they are a safe option and will last a lifetime, whereas there's a chance I may outgrow a halo and wish I chose a solitaire. But then another part of me thinks that solitaires are a bit too plain for my liking and I may get bored, for lack of a better word, of it from the beginning. Recently I have noticed that whenever I see other ladies' rings in person, I am drawn to the halos more than the solitaires, the solitaires just don't jump out as much.

Bonfire - You've convinced me of a halo I think! ;-)

Now to choose an AVR... :wall:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

umbrella|1413688998|3769307 said:
Thanks for your replies! Those suggested threads were really helpful, particularly the solitaire to halo thread. I'm actually quite surprised by how much I loved most of the transformations to halos. I do love the classic elegance of a solitaire, but trying it on didn't help my confidence issues with my large-ish hands. I felt like the solitaire setting exaggerated my large hands, but maybe that was mainly because the band was super thin. I did feel more confident with the halo, the size looked more balanced on my finger, and it helped create daintiness which just left me in awe. I also love some of the intricacies of the halo, such as the pierced undergallery and very fine milgrain :love:

Like some of you have mentioned, I also have concerns that a halo might be 'trendy' and not stand the test of time how a solitaire has. But honestly I think I'll embrace that. The time that I became engaged is reflected in the ring trend at the time, which I think is a lovely thing. I am a very sentimental person and I am planning to never change the diamond or setting. Stacking art deco bands with the solitaire is a great idea, but for me personally I am not planning on having any more rings than the engagement and wedding band and I never plan to swap out the wedding band to change things up.

Junebug I found your halo engagement ring and it is lovely! Not too dissimilar from the one I tried on. It's great to see some hand shots of it :) I'm like you, I really like the added visual interest of the halo, and good quality filigree/pierced work just mesmerises me.

Evangeline - that's a really great idea to have the AVR sent to me first. It's a little bit more time consuming and pricey for me as I'm in Australia and will be paying extra for international shipping there and back, but at the end of the day it's probably worth it. I noticed your stunning ring is made by David Klass - I am planning on having my engagement ring made by him too!

italy121210 - For the most part I'm loving the experience but every now and then I have my bad days. I think I have watched all of the GOG youtube videos haha. They are really helpful, but mostly only show the diamond very very close up. I wonder if there's much difference between the different cuts from everyday viewing distance.

JoCoJenn - that's very sensible and I think that's the main reason why I'm considering a solitaire, even though for most of my life I was never overly attracted to them. I think they are a safe option and will last a lifetime, whereas there's a chance I may outgrow a halo and wish I chose a solitaire. But then another part of me thinks that solitaires are a bit too plain for my liking and I may get bored, for lack of a better word, of it from the beginning. Recently I have noticed that whenever I see other ladies' rings in person, I am drawn to the halos more than the solitaires, the solitaires just don't jump out as much.

Yay!! I'm so glad you've decided on a halo -- to me, a halo (esp the octagonal Bev K type with airline) screams art deco! Also, I wouldn't worry about "trends" -- well, not with a halo anyway... -- as long as YOU love it, then it's "in". ;))

Just a warning... halos have ruined me. I'd have to get one helluva solitaire to have the same finger coverage, and I'd probably miss the added sparkle, even with a huge solitaire... and then I'd halo that bad boy!! :halo: ;))

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1413755614|3769533 said:
umbrella|1413688998|3769307 said:

Yay!! I'm so glad you've decided on a halo -- to me, a halo (esp the octagonal Bev K type with airline) screams art deco! Also, I wouldn't worry about "trends" -- well, not with a halo anyway... -- as long as YOU love it, then it's "in". ;))

Just a warning... halos have ruined me. I'd have to get one helluva solitaire to have the same finger coverage, and I'd probably miss the added sparkle, even with a huge solitaire... and then I'd halo that bad boy!! :halo: ;))

Yep!! Once you "halo" you never go back! Lol
I have a rather large graduated 5- stone which has been bumped over to my right hand. My halo stays on my left hand. As much wall to wall bling that 5-stone gives, I'll take my halo over that ring any day of the week! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results