carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this 1.1 carat "champagne" diamond

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cbird|1413559399|3768573 said:
Just for reference, I am no longer considering the stone I posted in the OP. Here is a link to the stone that I am currently considering. Of course I'm open to other options!

http://www.leibish.com/champagne-diamond/125ct-light-brown-round-vs2-95290-16528
Looks nice! I bet you could do things with the mounting that would help achieve that peachy look you are after, such as using rose gold in the head. A two-toned yellow/pink gold design could be lovely with this diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413559995|3768578 said:
cbird|1413559399|3768573 said:
Just for reference, I am no longer considering the stone I posted in the OP. Here is a link to the stone that I am currently considering. Of course I'm open to other options!

http://www.leibish.com/champagne-diamond/125ct-light-brown-round-vs2-95290-16528
Looks nice! I bet you could do things with the mounting that would help achieve that peachy look you are after, such as using rose gold in the head. A two-toned yellow/pink gold design could be lovely with this diamond.

I know she needs it to be white metal shank but I totally agree a rose gold head would be great. and honestly with a colored center stone its not odd to have a different color shank. It looks normal, doesn't stand out or really have much of an issue with skin tones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn't uncommon to have mixed metals when it comes to coloured stones and diamonds. I truly do not think that a white gold basket will do this diamond any justice; probably 18K rose gold, which is a softer blush colour, might be a better choice.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hi TL,

Any picture examples? Sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did mine in platinum, 18K rose and 18K yellow gold. Let me see if I can find one that was done in PT + rose gold. There was one such e-ring on PS recently.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1413563134|3768610 said:

That's a great example of a rose/white two tone using the pink gold to enhance the diamond. With the darker color I would want the pink to be as rich as possible. I think a rich pink head with rich 18k yellow gold would be ideal with this particular stone and help to give that peachy overall impact.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interestingly we've found that sometimes 14kt pink, or rose gold will give a pinker color than 18kt due to the fact you have a higher percentage of alloys, therby allowing more pink.
But it's also true that the actual color of pink gold will vary greatly from on manufacturer to another regardless of karatage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to know for sure is to place the FCD against the actual metal the jeweller plans to use.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1413563947|3768618 said:
Interestingly we've found that sometimes 14kt pink, or rose gold will give a pinker color than 18kt due to the fact you have a higher percentage of alloys, therby allowing more pink.
But it's also true that the actual color of pink gold will vary greatly from on manufacturer to another regardless of karatage.
Good point. 14K pink could contain more copper which would give it a richer pink. Also agree, color does vary regardless of karat.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps it depends on what you consider pink. To me, 14K rose gold looks brassy/coppery rather than pink. Then again, perhaps it is that particular alloy only.

colourful.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1413564042|3768620 said:
The only way to know for sure is to place the FCD against the actual metal the jeweller plans to use.
That makes good sense Chrono- and in fact a lot of folks ask for pictures like that.
Unfortunately, in reality, there's a lot of difference between placing a diamond on an unfinished head, and looking at the same diamond, same ring, after the work has been done.

The ring you made is lovely- and the pink diamonds look very pink......

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just a small update. Leibish have returned from holiday and I was able to negotiate a price I feel comfortable with. I have to say, it has been a real pleasure to deal with them. Very polite and prompt to return my emails.

I did make sure to ask about my "eye clean" requirement, but is there anything else I should be asking? I'm obviously new to this process so I would appreciate any advice you folks might have.

Thank you for all the input and advice so far!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413725903|3769387 said:
Hi all,

Just a small update. Leibish have returned from holiday and I was able to negotiate a price I feel comfortable with. I have to say, it has been a real pleasure to deal with them. Very polite and prompt to return my emails.

I did make sure to ask about my "eye clean" requirement, but is there anything else I should be asking? I'm obviously new to this process so I would appreciate any advice you folks might have.

The clarity was your number one concern, so that's what you want to ask about. Seems like you did though so that's good. Other than that, I mean, from what I've heard on here their photos are very accurate. I think some people have asked and gotten photos of it on the hand, but you may or may not find that helpful.

Did you decide on some things about the setting? Are you going to set the actual stone in rose gold in a white gold shank? Any ideas on settings?

cbird

Rough_Rock
Niel|1413726664|3769391 said:
Hi all,

The clarity was your number one concern, so that's what you want to ask about. Seems like you did though so that's good. Other than that, I mean, from what I've heard on here their photos are very accurate. I think some people have asked and gotten photos of it on the hand, but you may or may not find that helpful.

Did you decide on some things about the setting? Are you going to set the actual stone in rose gold in a white gold shank? Any ideas on settings?

Hi Niel,

I actually discussed the setting a bit with my gf. She gives me guidelines so its up to me to interpret it. She is definitely open to rose gold prongs but she wants the actual ring part to be white gold. I'm not familiar with the terms I need to go read up about all the parts of a setting. Anyway, my thought was something like a 6 prong with the diamonds on the side and the prongs in rose gold. I've been browsing but I haven't found anything yet. Thoughts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413727075|3769394 said:
Niel|1413726664|3769391 said:
Hi all,

Hi Niel,

I actually discussed the setting a bit with my gf. She gives me guidelines so its up to me to interpret it. She is definitely open to rose gold prongs but she wants the actual ring part to be white gold. I'm not familiar with the terms I need to go read up about all the parts of a setting. Anyway, my thought was something like a 6 prong with the diamonds on the side and the prongs in rose gold. I've been browsing but I haven't found anything yet. Thoughts?

Yeah I remember you said it has to be white metal in the shank. That would be the band part that wraps around the finger. Then the prongs or head in rose gold. Pave in the shank is the diamonds on the band. That's really the onlyonly terminology you need.

I'm inclined to think sense the shank has to be white metal, you do it all pave so not a lot of metal is showing, it just looks like a band of sparkly white diamonds. how mmuch do you have left for the setting?

cbird

Rough_Rock
Honestly, at this point I just want it to be the right setting. I would like it to be no more than $1200 because that will end up going a bit over budget. If it goes over, oh well :angel:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413728179|3769402 said:
Honestly, at this point I just want it to be the right setting. I would like it to be no more than $1200 because that will end up going a bit over budget. If it goes over, oh well :angel:
Oh OK! That's a lot to work with.

Let me sit and think a moment.

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
I'm excited to see the finished product, which will be beautiful!

Don't want to hijack the discussion, but ... what is the definition of a champagne diamond? Is it specifically a fancy color/(light) brown one? How does that compare to an M or O/P (or darker) "white" diamond? And what makes a champagne diamond have a peach or pink undertone?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the 'jewel of the week' off to the right of this- a beautiful champagne stone in a rose gold setting, it's lovely!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lizabeth|1413731119|3769411 said:
I'm excited to see the finished product, which will be beautiful!

Don't want to hijack the discussion, but ... what is the definition of a champagne diamond? Is it specifically a fancy color/(light) brown one? How does that compare to an M or O/P (or darker) "white" diamond? And what makes a champagne diamond have a peach or pink undertone?
"Champagne" is not a gemological term. It is a marketing term for diamonds in the yellow/brown range. There is a wide range of hues, tones and saturations in this area -some that have an orange component giving them a slightly peachy look. When color strength gets past Z on the color scale the color call is designated by the word "fancy" - fancy light, fancy, fancy intense,fancy intense, etc. For a little more on the basics of fancy color diamonds you might find this article helpful.
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/fancy-color-diamonds-1451.htm

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP you picked a very pretty stone. Yes, I am in love with the ring posted as Jewel of the Week. I love the rose gold setting and a very delicate white diamond halo and pave on the shank but I also think that white gold shank with rose gold setting will be beautiful as well. I would definitely do rose gold for the center stone. Keep us posted.

cbird

Rough_Rock
I've seen references to Victor Canera in several other posts. I went to the site and found a setting I really love. Is this a high end type of thing or is it something in my budget?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413818213|3769771 said:
I've seen references to Victor Canera in several other posts. I went to the site and found a setting I really love. Is this a high end type of thing or is it something in my budget?

High End, hand forged, out of your budget :((

However, David Klass would be in your budget check out his thread in show me the ring... He's very reasonable.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/[/URL]

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Texas Leaguer. Very helpful info.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Well the day has come. I verified with Leibish it is eye clean. I've never done something like this before but I've read enough positive reviews to feel comfortable wiring money to a company I've never done business with. Any advice on the buying process?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone with a great price ...not to mention the size!

We have had several PSers buy from Leibish with no issue. It's always nerve racking when its that kind of money.

Can you give us links to some settings that you think your GF will like? What is she into? Clean lines, art deco,
engraving???

I'm excited to see how this one comes out!

Edit - you can do a google on "brown diamond engagement rings" and see lots of images. A lot of them are halos and some of them do
have mixed metals.

cbird

Rough_Rock
I will definitely do that when I get home from work. I'm trying to imagine a 4 or 6 prong rose gold head, pave, white gold shank (hope I'm getting those terms right!).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
cbird|1413818213|3769771 said:

I researched VC and ended up choosing ERD for my halo - couldn't be happier with my halo (the ring turned out exactly as I had asked and their customer service was outstanding). Here it is pictured with my pink and yellow diamond bands:

img_5828.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413833375|3769912 said:
I will definitely do that when I get home from work. I'm trying to imagine a 4 or 6 prong rose gold head, pave, white gold shank (hope I'm getting those terms right!).
Yes totally!

Vc will be out of your budget. He rounds many thousands.

II have something in mind but I'm having the worst time finding one in budget. I'm thinking David klass

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results