shape
carat
color
clarity

Same EXACT diamond -Two Different Colors GIA???

eiger

Rough_Rock
I was checking out a diamond using pricescope and found a stone I was interested in. It is listed as 3.15 with I color and Si1 clarity. If you do a search for it, it shows up twice - once from Solomon Brothers and once from B2C. It is the SAME EXACT DIAMOND. This doesn't surprise me since they are pulling from the same inventory. But when I went to look at the GIA cert on both sites - just to be sure it was the same stone - the stone was listed as I color on the B2C version of the GIA cert and J color on the Solomon Brothers GIA cert!

I spoke to a fellow at the B2C who was very nice, insisted it is an I color stone, and said he would look into it.

What do you think? Here are the links to the certs. Note they both have the same cert number!

http://images.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//6273846.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rap.certs/gia/Certificates/2014/6/9/5176469177.pdf

I was interested in finding out what people thought of this stone - but now I'm not sure whether or not to trust what I am seeing. Has anyone heard of anything like this in the past?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was sent in for grading came back J the owner didn't like the grade sent it back for a recheck and it came back I.
Happens a lot.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eiger|1413560673|3768582 said:
I was checking out a diamond using pricescope and found a stone I was interested in. It is listed as 3.15 with I color and Si1 clarity. If you do a search for it, it shows up twice - once from Solomon Brothers and once from B2C. It is the SAME EXACT DIAMOND. This doesn't surprise me since they are pulling from the same inventory. But when I went to look at the GIA cert on both sites - just to be sure it was the same stone - the stone was listed as I color on the B2C version of the GIA cert and J color on the Solomon Brothers GIA cert!

I spoke to a fellow at the B2C who was very nice, insisted it is an I color stone, and said he would look into it.

What do you think? Here are the links to the certs. Note they both have the same cert number!

http://images.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//6273846.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rap.certs/gia/Certificates/2014/6/9/5176469177.pdf

I was interested in finding out what people thought of this stone - but now I'm not sure whether or not to trust what I am seeing. Has anyone heard of anything like this in the past?
This is certainly a bit unusual. It could be a clerical mistake on one of them. On the other hand, there is always a potential one grade +/- differential between the best labs, and even within each lab, so this could be such a case. The GIA report check shows it as an I color. You could call the lab and verify. The reports have different dates but in the same time period. Strange.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1413561297|3768587 said:
It was sent in for grading came back J the owner didn't like the grade sent it back for a recheck and it came back I.
Happens a lot.
Yes, this is likely what happened. But doesn't GIA require that the original cert be returned in such a case?

eiger

Rough_Rock
The stone has the same report number dated 1 day apart. Is that how it happens? It gets regraded the next day?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eiger|1413562404|3768599 said:
The stone has the same report number dated 1 day apart. Is that how it happens? It gets regraded the next day?
Actually they are about a month apart. The owner may have kept looking at the stone in relation to other I colors and finally decided that it should get a re-check. Or the diamond could have changed hands and the new owner requested the recheck. Hard to say.

nukezero

Rough_Rock
Wow, that's interesting.

Somebody should do a test and send in a stone to all the GIA offices in the world. Then aggregate the data and take the average of the gradings. :naughty:

eiger

Rough_Rock
I see - so the stone keeps the same cert number even after regrading. Ok- Would you suggest passing on this stone since its probably on the low end of an I color?
Thanks for the response and for pointing out that the certs are a month and a day apart.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
eiger|1413563788|3768617 said:
I see - so the stone keeps the same cert number even after regrading. Ok- Would you suggest passing on this stone since its probably on the low end of an I color?
Thanks for the response and for pointing out that the certs are a month and a day apart.
Not necessary to pass on the stone if you like it. But you are in a position to use the knowledge to your advantage in terms of negotiation.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool find!!!
According to the GIA site, the diamond is an I color.
I don't know that you'd be able to use this to change the price, as the cutter who submitted it twice was quite sure it's an I color- and he or she happens to be correct at this point.....but it's worth a try!

Based on my experience, I would say that re-checks that result in no change are far more common than re-checks where GIA does change the grade.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413561917|3768597 said:
Happens a lot.
Yes, this is likely what happened. But doesn't GIA require that the original cert be returned in such a case?

Yes, that is what GIA told me when I asked to keep the old report for one of my diamonds when it got resubmitted for a new report.

I think if you attempted to buy it from whomever is selling it with the J report you'll find they uploaded the old report before it got the new report a month later.
IOW if you try to buy it as a J they'll obtain the diamond but when it comes in it will be with the newer I report, and they'll almost certainly have to pay a higher price than they had in mind when they priced as a J, and so will you.

I often see this fine print on diamond vendor websites, "Pricing errors are subject to correction".

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1413561917|3768597 said:
Happens a lot.
yes you have to send the original report back but at that point it was already scanned and in the cutters system which is why it is still floating around.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WhiteRock|1413567634|3768652 said:
You make a preliminary certificate also called a trade certificate and then the buyer if the thinks he has scored an I at the price of a J can send the stone in again for a recheck and may come a grade higher. Very common. But its amazing how its listed at two places because the stocks should have been updated to reflect the change.
In this case a full report was printed then the cutter decided at a later date on a recheck, hence 2 full reports a bit apart with the same number. In a lot of cases the disagreement is caught before the full report is printed and there will only be one report even if there is a recheck.
Only the original submitter can get a recheck.
Everyone else has to get a new report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results