shape
carat
color
clarity

LONG, SOOOOO upset ...need REAL jewelers opinion PIC HEAVY

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
If you don't know what happen to MY engagement ring, please see this thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unhappy-about-the-way-a-side-stone-was-fixed-opinions.204732/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unhappy-about-the-way-a-side-stone-was-fixed-opinions.204732/[/URL]

First of all...this is what my ring looked like from the side:
2011-12-05_14-36-24_2_0.jpg

and the top
2011-12-05_14-31-48_631_0.jpg

It took them 5 weeks, to get in my ""new"" setting. My husband took in mine last thursday, and said, the new one has to look exactly like this. It has to appear to be the same ring. Take the head out of hers, and put it in the new one so she has at least a piece of her ring left.

This is what it looked like when he picked it up the next day.
20141016_180442.jpg

I'm sure the difference is obvious to everyone here, but it clearly wasn't to them. I was appalled that they would try to pass this off as a duplicate of my ring. We took it back the very same night, pointed out how the channels on the "new" ring where made MUCH wider than the channels on mine and it causes large gaps in the ring. from the top, you can see down in to the channels, it totally changes the look of the setting. They basically first told us they didn't see a difference (must be blind) then told us it was no problem, they would fix it. I told them good, luck to you, you've told me that 3 times now in the last 10 weeks and you have yet to get it right. My husband picked it up again on Tuesday.

This is what they tried to pass off this time.
20141014_175344.jpg

I took it out of the box and said this is the sloppiest thing I have every seen, clearly what they did was chop the top of the ring and push it all together, the head is rammed into the setting, there was a glob of I don't know what stuck to one side, and when the diamond was flat on the horizon, the sets of side diamonds were different heights. The first one made me cry, this one made me furious. I called the store and demanded to speak to the store manager. She basically said I will do whatever we need to to make you happy. I said ok, I will be there in a half hour. When I got there, I made her take my setting out of their case (yes, they had one in the case the whole time). It looked identical to mine. I mean, a perfect match. I said I want you to use this one, see how the channels are like my picture?! and set my head in it. My concern now, is how are you going to get my head out?! you attached it to the channel wall?!??!?!?! she insisted that it was not attached to the channel wall and they would be able to use it.

I went after work today, because she was not going to be in yesterday for me to come and pick it up. This is what I picked up today.

20141016_180442.jpg .

Yes, that's right, it looks just like the one from last week. AND, the minute she handed to me, I said, THIS IS NOT MY HEAD?! she said, well I told them to use your head? So I pulled up the picture of mine, yet again, and pointed out how mine was smooth and rounded and shiny, this one was flat, sharp, and dull. We went round and round and round and round. I made her go get my originally setting out of their safe, which I told them nothing better happen to until I'm happy, and showed with them next to each other how they are once again, not even close. I then had her go ask what happened to my head. She claims that it has been worked on so many times (uh...3?...not 10!) that it fell apart when they tried to work on it. Um. no. I'm not stupid, they attached it to the channel wall like I said, and they couldn't get it out. So here, is my dilemma. My head is now gone. The only thing I have left now, is the original setting, with the uneven side stones that they are holding in the safe.
Oh and just to add some perspective to my expectations, this is how the setting is pictured on their website. 20141016_180604.jpg

Just like mine.

Also, just the states because I know diamond size makes a difference. The setting was made to hold a .2 to a .68 stone. My stone is .75. My husband was concerned when he purchased them seperately and had it built, that my stone would be to big for the setting, so there no way, the reason for the gaps is related to diamond size. I'm also sure this is my diamond because it has a slight laser cut kind of...I guess it's like a ridge, that i can feel with my finger, I've been feeling it since the day I got my ring 3 years ago, and it is still there, although the stone has been reset and the ridge is now on a different side then I'm used to.

So...my questions for the REAL jewelers here are
1) how is it that tuesday when she pulled it out of the case the channels were right, and now they are angled incorrectly? I mean, really how does that happen? can you stretch them like that?

2) Given the current ring with the gaps, if it were you, do you think it would be possible to make it look like my original ring? I mean...can you re-angle the channels to look right?

3) Assuming none of the above is possible, do you think there is any hope, minus that I have a new head I didn't want, for my old setting? Would a REAL jeweler be able to even out the side stones?

I have never been so distraught over a piece of jewelry in my entire life. This whole experience has been awful, and I am done dealing with this horrible store, and I would like to know, realistically, what I can do about it.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: LONG, SOOOOO upset ...need REAL jewelers opinion PIC HEA

My suggestion would be to give up on your original setting, and the whole design, and get a new ring made ELSEWHERE. You have the same husband and the same diamond. All is not lost.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Well that is not going to happen. I didn't say all was lost, but if you had found the perfect setting, and you absolutely loved it, seriously, it's like the design was made knowing someday I would get it, it is that perfect for me, and it was still made, and marketed to be the same, and you hadn't been the one to damage it in the first place, would you just give up on it? I would have no problem going somehwere else, if they can fix it, but I will keep the same design.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ooeemusic|1413506189|3768270 said:
Well that is not going to happen. I didn't say all was lost, but if you had found the perfect setting, and you absolutely loved it, seriously, it's like the design was made knowing someday I would get it, it is that perfect for me, and it was still made, and marketed to be the same, and you hadn't been the one to damage it in the first place, would you just give up on it? I would have no problem going somehwere else, if they can fix it, but I will keep the same design.

yes, honestly, I probably would give up on THAT ring. if its that important to have the exact same setting go a custom route. or look around, there very well may be a setting quite similar without all the drama and disappointing end result.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1413506449|3768272 said:

yes, honestly, I probably would give up on THAT ring. if its that important to have the exact same setting go a custom route. or look around, there very well may be a setting quite similar without all the drama and disappointing end result.

I'm sure it's true that the custom route could make a ring from scratch that looks almost identical...for a lot more money, which is not an option.

My question is, if you had the setting I picked up today, is it possible for it to be modified to look like my original.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tourmaline|1413505979|3768268 said:
My suggestion would be to give up on your original setting, and the whole design, and get a new ring made ELSEWHERE. You have the same husband and the same diamond. All is not lost.
This. Your original ring, any part of it, is beyond salvage.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

ooeemusic|1413506787|3768273 said:
Niel|1413506449|3768272 said:

I'm sure it's true that the custom route could make a ring from scratch that looks almost identical...for a lot more money, which is not an option.

My question is, if you had the setting I picked up today, is it possible for it to be modified to look like my original.
Probably not satisfactorily and definitely not by them since they can't see the issues.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would find another setting somewhere else or get one custom made. This jeweler clearly isn't going to be able to fix it. If you have it custom made with an integrated head, you can view the CAD before the ring is cast and ensure the proportions are as you like them.

They tried fixing the sidestones of your original ring and couldn't do it. They have already set it in THREE new settings. I'm not sure what more they can do to prove to you that they can't get it right.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could it be done, conceptually? With some difficulty, sure ... anything's possible.

Do I think there's a snowball's chance of THEM doing it? Nope.

I know where you're coming from. Two years ago I dropped my lovely vintage anniversary ring off to have a prong fixed. To quote "Pretty Woman," "Big mistake. HUGE." They messed it up, then they messed it up again, then they messed it up a third time, in the process chipping and faceting my original bruted girdle (without telling me, mind you; they just kept hoping I wouldn't notice). Some very wise women on here gave me advice I SO wish I had taken: they said, if they could have done it right the first time, they would have.

RUN. Take your stone, get your money back, have David Klass make you a replica. I am willing to wager it will run you less then whatever these guys are charging you.

P.S. - I never did get my sentimental setting fixed. Had to have it remade entirely (by, it goes unsaid, another jeweler). I only wish I'd done it before they damaged the stone.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock

I feel really sorry for you. It's a sentimental ring and they screwed up multiple times and convinced you to get a repair with them which they couldn't follow through.

I think you are really attached to the setting as well and rightly so, your husband picked it out and you looked after it for many years even rhodium plating it yearly.

You still have the diamond, is it an option to get your husband to pick out another setting from somewhere else and surprise you with it?

He knows the type of setting you like (don't go back here though!) and by him picking out something similar it may help you re attach emotionally to the new ring and associate another romantic gesture with it. You mentioned this history with the ring and it may help with that?

Particularly as this experience is upsetting you as well.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing repeatedly expecting a different outcome. Don't keep driving yourself nuts with this incompetence. There are too many capable and qualified vendors PSers can suggest who can remake this ring right for you, which will allow you to wear & love it vs it spending half its life at the bench. I will never deal with a box/chain store again, as I have had far more superior, personalized service by people found via this forum whom I have never met in person than I ever received dealing in person with a chain store. I wish you a positive outcome, but being a realist, I have zero confidence you will find it with your current store. I would cut my losses and frustration. Good luck, OP!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When a mistake is made the first time, I might give someone a second chance (but usually I take it as a sign that they can't do it right). But if it comes out wrong the second time, I'd get my money back and start over elsewhere (because then I am certain they cannot do it right). Seriously, you are wasting time with this chain jeweler at this point. They likely don't even have an in-house bench.

But if you insist on getting the same setting there, they need to order one that is the right size for your stone and put your stone in the head that comes on the ring. The replacing of the head caused all these problems.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

At this point I'd demand a refund, citing their incompetence.
If they say no go up their chain of command.

Take your money and start over at a reputable vendor.

You've already admitted it was a mistake to go to a chain jeweler.

I'd also stay away from settings with such tall unsupported structures (the head holding the diamond) sticking that high up in the air.
That is an invitation for bending problems ... that is, IF those separate side wall thingies were not soldered to your head/prongs for added strength and support for that tall head.
If there was any originally air gap between them I'd consider that a risky design.
It is hard to tell from your pics since it was taken a little offset from a straight-on side view - which would have revealed any air gap.
The taller something is (in this case the head) the less force is needed at the top to bend it where it meets the ring at the bottom ... just a law of physics.
An additional challenge this setting has is those in-betwen walls also have to accommodate those side diamonds.
I can see how this design is a nightmare for the poor bench guy or gal.
None of this is your fault, but it is a mechanically-challenged design that is just asking for trouble.
You just liked the look.

Keep in mind that just because they make something does not mean it is as safe as every other ring in the case.
They also make 2-mm wide rings with melee diamonds on three sides, and even some under 2 mm. :-o
When they bend the gals get really upset ... but part of the blame rests on people wanting/buying extreme designs that are less-safe than other designs.

Get your refund and move on.
Sorry about the sentimental value of the original ring. :blackeye:
I know it meant a lot to you.
Hugs to you.

screen_shot_2014-10-16_at_9.png

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

distracts|1413512621|3768307 said:
I would find another setting somewhere else or get one custom made. This jeweler clearly isn't going to be able to fix it. If you have it custom made with an integrated head, you can view the CAD before the ring is cast and ensure the proportions are as you like them.

They tried fixing the sidestones of your original ring and couldn't do it. They have already set it in THREE new settings. I'm not sure what more they can do to prove to you that they can't get it right.

Maybe I haven't made my intentions clear enough. I have no intention of letting them try again, but they have tried with only two new rings. The first when it was given to me full of gaps, then they just "cut down" and rammed it altogether. The 2nd is the one that I picked up yesterday.

I would love, love, love to have a custom made, because I am 100% sure, with the right person doing it, it could be identical to MY rignt, but the problem is, I can't afford a custom, no chance, we couldn't afford a custom when my husband had this one made, or we would have had it done, and we still can't now. It's just not an option. And that is why I'm so upset.

Kenny,

I understand you can't tell details from this picture, but, the head is not nearly as unsupported as it looks. This is a very thick, sturdy ring, while the channels aren't actually attached to the head, they are practically touching it, that is what I find so appealing about it, it almost gives you a free standing look, without actually being free standing. The head itself is very sturdy.

Someone, also I can't remember who, said order another ring and have my stone set with the original head that comes with it, that that is the real problem here. This is not the case. This is a setting that you buy separate from the head. The first time I looked at it in the store, 3 years ago, there was absolutely no head in it. There isn't a head that it is specifically made to hold, the one on the website is just the cheapest head they offer, so they show it as the example. My head is the step up and what my husband and I both agreed we wanted because it offers more protection to the diamond itself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they cannot get it done right after 2 tries, I am doubtful they will ever get it right, especially if they say they cannot see/tell the difference.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

JoCoJenn|1413514739|3768327 said:
The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing repeatedly expecting a different outcome. Don't keep driving yourself nuts with this incompetence. There are too many capable and qualified vendors PSers can suggest who can remake this ring right for you, which will allow you to wear & love it vs it spending half its life at the bench. I will never deal with a box/chain store again, as I have had far more superior, personalized service by people found via this forum whom I have never met in person than I ever received dealing in person with a chain store. I wish you a positive outcome, but being a realist, I have zero confidence you will find it with your current store. I would cut my losses and frustration. Good luck, OP!

Again, I realize they aren't capable of fixing it. I've known this since I picked up the one last week where they just smashed it all together, I said right there and then, this is horrible, you people will never get this right. But, by then it was to late, because they HAD, despite telling me I was seeing things, soldered the head to the channel, and then it was to late. I full intend to have them remove the head off this ugly thing, give me my original back, and deal with it from there, oh and insist upon some type of compensation since I will now have to spend more money to, at the very least, have the head reset in my, still damaged setting. I don't even trust them at this point, to pull the head off of this one and set it back in my setting.

And again, at this point, considering no one seems to think the side stone issue can even be fixed...what I would love, is to have this ring remade custom. Maybe even have the gold from my setting used to remake it, if that's even possible, but, I can't afford to have a custom ring made. plain and simple.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry you're upset by this. I also think our suggestions are making you more upset.

What would you like to do at this point?

Are you going to return this and demand a refund?
What amount ARE you able to spend on a new setting?
Are you going to try and replicate this or just change it completely so you aren't always comparing?
Are you just looking to vent?

Were happy to help, but what will help?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very few jewellers are open to melting the gold for reuse due to potential contamination. If they do so, the added cost can be quite high in order to cover the additional work required to purify the gold (and the alloys). Given that the ring has been worked on numerous times as well, it may not be feasible to have it fixed, but to start from scratch.

I am sorry about your situation but it sounds like you are stuck. You want it fixed but the store cannot seem to do it right. You would love a re-make but there are budget concerns. I'm not sure what else you would like us to help with since we are going in circles.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1413550540|3768480 said:
I'm so sorry you're upset by this. I also think our suggestions are making you more upset.

What would you like to do at this point?

Are you going to return this and demand a refund?
What amount ARE you able to spend on a new setting?
Are you going to try and replicate this or just change it completely so you aren't always comparing?
Are you just looking to vent?

Were happy to help, but what will help?

Hi Neil,

It's not that your suggestions are upsetting me more, it's just that I've already said, I'm not letting them touch it again, and everyone keeps saying don't let them fix it. I know that. I've said that. honestly, I think I've gotten my answers, What I wanted to know was if I brought the "new" setting in it's current condition, which is new, but wrong, to a professional, would they be able to make it look like mine. The answer seems to be no. If I took my setting, that really is fine except for the uneven side stone, to a professional, would they be able to fix it. The answer also seems to be no.

I think at this point, I am going to return what they have given me take my head and stone and setting, in pieces and go up the chain until they compensate me somehow for destroying my ring.
Honestly, I don't know what we can spend on a new setting, this ring was not cheap to begin with, but the expense was planned for, this is not, so it would definitely take some budgeting magic to make it work regardless
If, we do end up going the custom route, somehow, we will try to replicate it. I really do not want a totally different looking setting. I understand nothing is going to be 100% identical to mine, but I'm quite sure someone could get a lot closer to what has been given to me so far.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as ungrateful for the suggestions, I really am thankful to hear from all of you, it's just that it has basically confirmed my worst fear that there is no saving MY ring, and that is incredibly hard to swallow, considering I've been dealing with this for almost 3 months now, and every time I hear the claim "we'll keep going until we get it right" I now have to accept that they are incapable of living up to that claim and figure out how to deal with that.

I guess if that means living with a ring in pieces in a box until I can figure out how to get what will make me happy. That is what I will do. :((

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is a possibility that if the store gives you a brand new setting and brand new basket head (both unset in 2 separate pieces), a competent bench can put it together correctly. Just don't bring it to any ol' bench, and definitely not to a place where they outsource their benchwork.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1413551524|3768487 said:
There is a possibility that if the store gives you a brand new setting and brand new basket head (both unset in 2 separate pieces), a competent bench can put it together correctly. Just don't bring it to any ol' bench, and definitely not to a place where they outsource their benchwork.

Thank you Chrono,

We have a couple of very competent jewelers in our area, my husband actually talked to a couple when he was shopping for my ring, it was just the price that prevented us from using them. Perhaps I will have my husband take in the ring we have now and the pictures and see what they think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please do NOT bring it to a mall or chain-store type bench!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1413551948|3768491 said:
Please do NOT bring it to a mall or chain-store type bench!

No, no, we have a local jeweler that my husband actually talked to some at work about last night. He has 25 years of experience in custom and repairs. The lady my husband spoke to had taken her ER and wedding wrap to a chain to have them soldered together, they had totally botched it, she told him it looks like so bad they might as well have used superglue on it, she took it to the local jeweler and he said it looks flawless now, you would never know it had started out as a disaster. We will only deal with people who do their own work.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We are all deeply sympathetic - it's every jewelry lover's fear when we drop stuff off. I think the general suggestion to go custom has been based on the thought that you could get a refund for the current setting, and apply that to a custom piece (seriously, Klass? cheaper than any mall store I've seen, with much better work: same could be said for a number of small independent artisans). If you get the new head and shank and take them to a local jeweler, he could probably do a better job of putting them together than the original place ... but since the channels are also bothering you, I think this route has the potential to go wrong, too, because it looks like part of the problem is shoddy workmanship from the ground up. And once you take the step of having an outside vendor work on it, I'm not sure what kind of recourse you'll have.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Circe|1413557931|3768557 said:
We are all deeply sympathetic - it's every jewelry lover's fear when we drop stuff off. I think the general suggestion to go custom has been based on the thought that you could get a refund for the current setting, and apply that to a custom piece (seriously, Klass? cheaper than any mall store I've seen, with much better work: same could be said for a number of small independent artisans). If you get the new head and shank and take them to a local jeweler, he could probably do a better job of putting them together than the original place ... but since the channels are also bothering you, I think this route has the potential to go wrong, too, because it looks like part of the problem is shoddy workmanship from the ground up. And once you take the step of having an outside vendor work on it, I'm not sure what kind of recourse you'll have.

The last you mentioned is my fear too, Circe, and why I don't think I want to go that route. If the chain messes it up, I can say, no. wrong. try again, if I buy it from the chain and then take it somewhere else and it gets messed up, I basically have no recourse because I've voided the warranty, and while I really will never step foot in this place again after we figure this out, I also don't want to risk then also being stuck with a ring I'm not happy with AND no recourse.

I really think the best option at this point is just getting all my original pieces, well the one that's left back, and getting the head of this one, and going from there.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If you want a smaller gap, maybe you can order one meant for smaller size diamond. You mentioned when the 2nd new setting was taken out of the case, the gap opening was the same as your original. If so, there shouldn't be such a big gap in your latest photo. Maybe another setting was used? How many such settings do they have in the case?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

thecat|1413559053|3768567 said:
If you want a smaller gap, maybe you can order one meant for smaller size diamond. You mentioned when the 2nd new setting was taken out of the case, the gap opening was the same as your original. If so, there shouldn't be such a big gap in your latest photo. Maybe another setting was used? How many such settings do they have in the case?

They only have one, and they weren't even aware that they had it until I pointed it out to them. That's why the whole thing is so confusing to me. I know that they started with a setting that was right. I held it in my hand myself. And yet, it comes back looking like this again. :wall:

I don't honestly think they make a smaller one? This one is only meant to hold .2-.6. I could understand the gaps if my stone was in that range, but it's not. It's a .75, it should totally fill the setting. The first one they ordered in was custom made because my hands are so small, it was made to the specification that it would hold a .2-.6. and then end product was still huge gaps.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Perhaps it might have been intended for a round ... princesses face up smaller, which might account for the gap.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Circe|1413560263|3768580 said:
Perhaps it might have been intended for a round ... princesses face up smaller, which might account for the gap.

It's actually shown online with many different stones sizes, I can see what you are saying that a different shape would cause different gaps, but again, I would think that would apply if my stone was smaller? Maybe I'm wrong, but a larger princess I would think would be comparable in size to a small round?

And the special order one was made for my stone...which is princess, so I don't know why they would allow room for a larger round?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ooeemusic|1413549334|3768472 said:
... the head is not nearly as unsupported as it looks. This is a very thick, sturdy ring, while the channels aren't actually attached to the head, they are practically touching it, that is what I find so appealing about it, it almost gives you a free standing look, without actually being free standing. The head itself is very sturdy.

I'm sorry but now that you've stated, " the channels aren't actually attached to the head" that means head is as unsupported as it looks, and "the head itself being very sturdy" actually contributed to what happened to your ring.

The bending is happening at the solder joint where the head is soldered to the ring.
The head itself being very sturdy does not make that solder joint any stronger, in fact the more rigid the head is the more it just transfers ALL of the bending force down to the solder joint.
There is an old saying that illustrates this, "bend like a willow or you'll break like an oak."

It is too bad the channels were not attached/soldered to the head.
That would have provided additional support for the head, which you have proven is needed, and you may not have been in this predicament.

It is not personal so please don't be offended but physics trumps aesthetics here.
How much you like it does not suspend the laws of physics and mechanics.
A tall rigid beefy head like that is a solder joint disaster waiting to happen.
If you get it remade please consider designs with better mechanical integrity.
With many products, cars, tools, toys the onus is on us to select the more-safe examples.

You have already stated going to a chain jewelry store is a mistake.
I suspect a more reputable jeweler would be less likely to carry such a mechanically-risky design.
Nobody likes repairs or rework.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results