carat
color
clarity

14K WG vs Palladium 500 setting?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any opinions? Pros and cons?

14K WG is $2520 and in Palladium 500 is $1750.

Thanks

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Personal preference WG......

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1413485898|3768072 said:

Thanks

I'd call GA directly and ask them which alloy is stronger, and has the best properties for a tension setting.
I'm sure every alloy meets their specs and is "fine", but the engineer in me knows that different alloys will have different metallurgical properties.
Some will be 'more fine' than others.

A dealer is not likely to know as much technical stuff as GA itself.

I did speak directly with them once and IIRC they said 14K gold is stronger than 18K because it is the other metals that give the alloy the properties that make it good for tension settings, not the gold ... but I didn't ask about palladium.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a reason I would not be satisfied with whatever answers experts on PS give you regarding palladium.
What you need to know is not about palladium vs. 14K gold ... you need to know which alloy is superior for the unique mechanical demands of a tension setting.
That is not common knowledge.
It gets into proprietary knowledge the manufacturers protect from discloser.

I'd only be satisfied by answers directly from Niessing, Steven Kretchmer or Gelin Abaci.

That said, I'm sure any alloy offered by the big 3 are 'fine'.
If 'fine' is not good enough and you simply must have the best, of the best, of the best to protect your precious diamond I'd ask the companies.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Kenny's post. Since you are considering tension set, I would ask the manufacturer the pros and cons with regards to that particular design.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like Kenny's advice about going to the top. The people who are actually working with the metals and making the decisions about which alloys to use in their work are the ones with the in-depth knowledge. Someone lower down may have only a rudimentary knowledge. Metals and alloys and their various properties and applications is not what you would call "common knowledge" even among people that have been in the jewelry business for a long time.

Case in point - what exactly is palladium 500? I assume that means 50% palladium. What are the other metals in the mixture?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413488412|3768105 said:
I like Kenny's advice about going to the top. The people who are actually working with the metals and making the decisions about which alloys to use in their work are the ones with the in-depth knowledge. Someone lower down may have only a rudimentary knowledge. Metals and alloys and their various properties and applications is not what you would call "common knowledge" even among people that have been in the jewelry business for a long time.

Case in point - what exactly is palladium 500? I assume that means 50% palladium. What are the other metals in the mixture?
TL...AFAIK it is 50% palladium + 25% silver + 25% copper.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1413498534|3768202 said:
Texas Leaguer|1413488412|3768105 said:

TL...AFAIK it is 50% palladium + 25% silver + 25% copper.
Interesting. Does the copper affect the color? In gold alloys it creates the rose color.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1413486305|3768080 said:
Dancing Fire|1413485898|3768072 said:

Thanks

I'd call GA directly and ask them which alloy is stronger, and has the best properties for a tension setting.
I'm sure every alloy meets their specs and is "fine", but the engineer in me knows that different alloys will have different metallurgical properties.
Some will be 'more fine' than others.

A dealer is not likely to know as much technical stuff as GA itself.

I did speak directly with them once and IIRC they said 14K gold is stronger than 18K because it is the other metals that give the alloy the properties that make it good for tension settings, not the gold ... but I didn't ask about palladium.
This is the reply I received from GA about their Palladium 500 setting...

Thank you for your interest in the GelinAbaci Tension Collection.

Please note our Palladium500 metal is very durable and falls into the 65 to 95 pounds of pressure securing the center stone just like our 14 karat, 18 karat, and platinum.

Style TR-005 can be made with a more comfort fit and rounded edges.

In regards to the height of the diamond we can have it set as low as possible while taking into consideration of the culet of the diamond not touching the finger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results