shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I get 4mmx2mm marquise sapphires?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I found 2 beautiful rings on ps that I want to combine and have DK make an eternity for me. I need a size 7 and have asked him to figure out how many 2.5mm round diamonds and 4mmx2mm marquise sapphires I would need. Sourcing the sapphires may be difficult, does anyone have suggestions? I probably will need at least 8, maybe more. I want the band to be no more than 3mm wide with thin bezels. Kismit's band is what I'm going for but with the stones reversed like SB's but without the milgrain. It looks like SB's has small round sapphires that are tightly set to look like marquise sapphires.
Ideally, I want platinum but I am trying to keep the cost down. I've read that there is a palladium alloy that can be added to 14k white gold so there is no need for dipping. Does anyone know if that would have the same patina as platinum. My other platinum rings are not buffed and I prefer the non shiny surface. I'm also considering lowering the diamonds to H/I SI to cut costs.

_439.png

bez_diam_saph.jpg

sb_saph_diamond.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there a specific reason you want to source these yourself? For this kind of melee, it may be better to have whoever is making the ring source them. Small stones are usually sold in trade parcels.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK should be able to order a parcel of 4 x 2 mm (or whatever size and quantity) marquise blue sapphires from Stuller.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The thing about buying the parcel yourself is that they may not be coloured matched, whereas a jeweller will either have several on hand and can match them, or can request x number of colour matched stones in a specific size from his source.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking on my own because at first DK gave me the impression that he would have a problem finding them so I thought I would do the leg work. I also wanted to be sure I liked the color in person. I did see the lots at Gem Select.
The depth seems to vary quite a bit. What would the ideal depth be on such a small stone? I'm seeing 1.19mm, 1.04mm and 1.62mm.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finding marquise sapphires in a uniform colour and a uniform depth will not be easy and honestly, you're better off not worrying about depth. I would contact the vendor and ask them to select a parcel for you and then have a look at it. If you don't like it you can always return

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK is in the trade and honestly, any trade person can order from Stuller. The benefits of this for you:
1. DK selects what matches and you aren't stuck with the remaining stones (if off colour and off size)
2. If anything goes wrong during the setting process, DK bears the risk and responsibility

At this point, I would not presume. Ask DK to source the sapphires and go from there. As the customer, you have the right to approve or disapprove of the selection. As the bench, it is his responsibility to make sure the colours and sizes (and depths) match. With coloured stones, there is no ideal depth.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you just have ID Jewelry make these for you? :confused:

On SMTB I've seen a few of these, over the years, that were made by IDJ. Everyone seemed quite happy with them. I think you should at least get a quote. I suspect BG and IDJ use the same company/source to get these stackers made up for their customers. I really don't think either of them is handcrafting these, I think they're using a company.

Just email Tami at IDJ and she'll get back to you with a price in a couple of days.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1411474211|3755662 said:
DK is in the trade and honestly, any trade person can order from Stuller. The benefits of this for you:
1. DK selects what matches and you aren't stuck with the remaining stones (if off colour and off size)
2. If anything goes wrong during the setting process, DK bears the risk and responsibility

At this point, I would not presume. Ask DK to source the sapphires and go from there. As the customer, you have the right to approve or disapprove of the selection. As the bench, it is his responsibility to make sure the colours and sizes (and depths) match. With coloured stones, there is no ideal depth.

Thanks for the info about depth. I am overthinking everything. I'll email DK and see if he can source the sapphires. I found several lots at Gem Select but it is hard to see the facets and the shapes do seem to be different in each lot. I am on a budget and it is tempting to purchase 20 stones for $100 or less and then pick out the ones that work. When I added a very small sapphire to the sizing bar of my eternity, a local jeweler looked in a book and said it was over $225! I sourced a Montana sapphire for $60. If I need 8 or 9 4x2 sapphires, I am worried that the cost of ordering them through Stuller would add over $1000. I'll ask DK to break down the price for me. Here is the link to the Gem Select lots

http://www.gemselect.com/tools/compare-wishlist.php

iLander I've worked with IDJ before and would again but I have a credit with DK that I want to use. He has made many pieces for me and I do find working with him very easy.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I have the CAD and it looks like I need 7 sapphires. I debated on ordering a lot from Gem Select and just picking out the best. The lot is less than $100 but the facets look a bit funky. I talked to Marc at AfricaGems and ended up ordering their AAA because I wanted a Royal Blue not Navy. I was able to get a discount but the price was still 4x that of Gem Select. I am hoping that the sapphire's cut will look like the marquise diamonds from BGD. If not, they have a great return. I have not heard back if DK can source the sapphires. I am having a hard time getting some info and a price breakdown from DK. I just sent a detailed message and hope I get a clearer answer then the last one.
Searching images I found a ring offered by JBG and sent the link on to DK. I want to change the round sapphires to marquises. I was on the fence about milgrain but love it on this ring.

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Bands/Diamond-and-Sapphire-Navette/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note that once bezeled, sapphires have this knack of darkening up more than when loose.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1411701345|3757165 said:
Note that once bezeled, sapphires have this knack of darkening up more than when loose.

That is what I was worried about. DK is sending me the sapphires he sourced so I can take a peek at them. I also ordered from AfricaGems so I can compare the 2 lots. The AfricaGems sapphires are way, way more expensive but if they are cut better they may be worth it. My little yogo sapphire that I added to my eternity is round and cut so perfectly that I can see all arrows. The problem is that I have to make sure it stays clean because the bezel traps dirt and oil.
My fear is that once they are set, they will look flat and dark. I was hoping if the facets are sharp and the cut great I would be happier with their performance.
Once we start the process I will start a new thread. I may need help with the milgrain and DK said to stay away from platinum because the ring is "dainty" and the 14k would hold up better. Because I want to avoid rhodium plating, especially with the milgrain. He suggested 14k wg, unplated and polished before adding the milgrain. I have no idea what that would look like so I will need imput from PS experts.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I received the sapphires from Marc at AfricaGems. Wow, they are beautiful but the small credit I would get for using them would put me way over my budget so I had to return the little beauties. Marc was great and I highly recommend him. Darn my budget!
They were lighter and full of sparkle IRL.

4x2_royal_blue_sapphires.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noni,
Sorry that the AfricaGems sapphires couldn't be worked into your project. What are you going to do now?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
NonieMarie|1411755352|3757458 said:
Once we start the process I will start a new thread. I may need help with the milgrain and DK said to stay away from platinum because the ring is "dainty" and the 14k would hold up better. Because I want to avoid rhodium plating, especially with the milgrain. He suggested 14k wg, unplated and polished before adding the milgrain. I have no idea what that would look like so I will need imput from PS experts.

DK uses a 14k palladium alloy that is very white and bright. My e-ring is made in it and unplated.

2014-10-07_13.jpg

With a platinum ring for comparison.

How are the sapphires that DK sourced for you comparing to the Africa gem ones?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1412684856|3763546 said:
Noni,
Sorry that the AfricaGems sapphires couldn't be worked into your project. What are you going to do now?

I just sent everything back. Buying from Marc was so easy. He quickly sent a return label so there were no out of pocket expenses unlike Gemselect where there would have been costs if I ordered and returned. David's sapphires were smaller, "dusty" looking and dark when I placed them in the casting but they were 10x less expensive. I talked to him and he is going to look for some that are a bit larger and will try to find a higher grade. I left it up to him to find ones that, once set, would have the color of the AfricaGems stones. I hope it works out. I don't want marquise shaped dark blah stones next to the diamonds.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
EvangelineG|1412708071|3763759 said:
NonieMarie|1411755352|3757458 said:

DK uses a 14k palladium alloy that is very white and bright. My e-ring is made in it and unplated.

2014-10-07_13.jpg

With a platinum ring for comparison.

How are the sapphires that DK sourced for you comparing to the Africa gem ones?

Thanks for the photo. I did see your ring and in my original email asked about the palladium alloy. When he sent the casting, I think it was just the regular unplated wg. I will send him another message referencing your ring and make sure he uses the same. Here is the casting next to the plat bands he made me.

casting_with_bands.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the report and pic of the stones from Africagems. I'm glad they're easy to work with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results