shape
carat
color
clarity

next steps beyond the HCA tool for 2.8 to 3.0 stone

eiger

Rough_Rock
I am new, so please let me know if I have posted this in the wrong place. There is sooo much info on this site that I am overwhelmed, but I did fill out a request describing the type of diamond I am looking for and I also used the pricescope lookup tool to find some stones as well. So far, the only tool I understand is the HCA - and I understand that it is an elimination tool - so I am not really sure where to go after I have eliminated poor performing stones and isolated ones that have potential. Take this stone for example:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3215928.htm?source=pricescope

It SOUNDS like a good stone - but can I tell for sure without seeing it? (Not that I can tell by seeing without comparing two potential stones side by side).

a couple of vendors, James Allen and Ritani also sent me some suggestions. In each case, I ran the HCA and eliminated the "bad" stones.

So now, what do I do? If the stones are in the NYC area, I can arrange a trip to see them in person. But should I ask for more info or more images before making the trek? Are there other calculations I should run?

I own an ideal scope, but when I've used it, I was never sure if I understood what I was seeing. The "arrows" in my one of the diamonds I already own look silvery and transparent rather than solid black, so I could never tell if that meant there was light leakage or not. I suppose that is a separate question.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA is really nice.

The next step is to ask for an Ideal Scope picture or ASET picture, a regular picture may suffice if IS photo is not available.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Idealscope.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the images are there *now* and it is a very nice stone. Everything looks good. Excellent stone!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, the HCA is 1.6 (under 2, good to evaluate further) and the images (ASET, IS, hearts and arrows) are available to view with the certificate from AGS. It also has AGS0 for cut grade and light performance. It's an eye clean ACA which is WF highest cut standard and a branded cut. I think you are good to go if it meets your desired set of clarity and color preferences and in budget. What's your hesitation or concern?

eiger

Rough_Rock
I am not sure about buying a stone sight unseen. Our local jeweler, who is very reputable, can get in stones for us to see. I can use the HCA toolto eliminate the poor performers, but I don't know what to do after that. I have an ideal scope but I'm not sure I know how to use it well. When I use the ideal scope the arrows in my current diamond all look silvery and clear. I'm not sure if they're supposed to look this way or if I'm just not looking at them the right way. So I'm wondering how or if I will be able to evaluate a stone on my own.
Another reason for not buying the stone online is the cost of shipping to return the stone if we don't like it. The stone I referenced above will cost $250 to return if we decide we don't want to keep it. My husband really wants a 3 carat stone so I don't know that we are actually serious about considering this one.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, a few thoughts come to mind...
1) As far as reading IS goes, they are red and either black or white arrows. You just want to see a distinct arrow pattern with excellent symmetry. The more crisp and distinct the arrow pattern and symmetry, the higher the cut quality. Don't fret if your IS for your diamond isn't as crisp and distinct as the WF ACA you linked, there can be some variance and still have a wonderfully, performaning diamond.
2) I think you are still in the search and research phase of diamond shopping and looking at real stones to nail down specs and cut differences, which is awesome and you should take your time during this phase. We don't have a vested interested in where or who you buy from or how long is takes you to decide. We just want you to know what you are buying, understand the vendor policies, and enjoy your selection for years to come.
3) There was a recent post where a poster was looking at 3 ct. stones from BN and she found an I color for $27k (which I thought was quite a find).
4) There is a 3 ct preloved stone for $26k J/Si1, maybe its still available.
5) In older cuts, like OEC and OMC, you can go to lower colors like L/M or O/P and get your dream size for a nice price at places like Love Affair Diamonds or Jewels by Grace and others. They have a big flash charm, but still very sparkly. GOG has made a modern version with their AVR (August vintage round).

Hope this helps and let us know more about your search process, we love this kind of thing and that's why we hang around, lol.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eiger|1413171048|3766276 said:
I am not sure about buying a stone sight unseen. Our local jeweler, who is very reputable, can get in stones for us to see. I can use the HCA toolto eliminate the poor performers, but I don't know what to do after that. I have an ideal scope but I'm not sure I know how to use it well. When I use the ideal scope the arrows in my current diamond all look silvery and clear. I'm not sure if they're supposed to look this way or if I'm just not looking at them the right way. So I'm wondering how or if I will be able to evaluate a stone on my own.
Another reason for not buying the stone online is the cost of shipping to return the stone if we don't like it. The stone I referenced above will cost $250 to return if we decide we don't want to keep it. My husband really wants a 3 carat stone so I don't know that we are actually serious about considering this one.

You have picked the best of the best and I am betting your jeweler can't compete on quality. I can't see why you would not like this stone and need to return but to each his own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results