shape
carat
color
clarity

Change in price of a daimond

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed that there is a diamond on Whiteflash site which has come down in price by $5000 dollars. As the price charts here show no change in that carat weight, does this mean the changes are to do with clarity, thing or color perhaps. Just wondering how all the pricing works, I suppose anyone can charge anything they want. Not looking to buy just interested to know. If it the 2.07 F VVS2 ACA.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess would be a pricing error either the old or new price is incorrect.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MollyMalone|1413047258|3765843 said:
Perhaps the various factors described last year, when explaining the changes in prices of a different WF stone, are also in play for this stone:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash.192997/
Molly, Thanks for referencing that thread. Yes, it could be that an overdue price adjustment was made and that results in a pretty dramatic $ change. Especially on a stone of this size and quality.

Pyramid, I am not sure exactly what diamond you are referring to. I do see a 2.07 ACA round F VVS1. Is that the one that has undergone a price change?

If so, it does appear to be more or less in line with other similar stones:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3227681,3208302,2681950

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I had written about this before. Yes it is the VVS1 diamond not VVS2. So since last year this diamond has gone from
$60,000 to $70,00 then back down to $60.000, now to $55,000 between Sep 2013 and Oct 2014 and prior it was listed at $78,000 (2011). Shows how prices
change in the higher grades. This is the same diamond I wrote about last year.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would really like to know how pricing works, as my diamond instead of going down $5000 (although sold ofcourse) has a comparable diamond shown on the whiteflash site which is $8000 more than mine. Mine was listed along with this diamond so I know how much the price difference was from this one. However this one is now minus $5000 and mine is plus $8000, how can that be?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1413057399|3765878 said:
I forgot I had written about this before. Yes it is the VVS1 diamond not VVS2. So since last year this diamond has gone from
$60,000 to $70,00 then back down to $60.000, now to $55,000 between Sep 2013 and Oct 2014 and prior it was listed at $78,000 (2011). Shows how prices
wait another 10 yrs and this diamond will be free... :wink2:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1413065640|3765905 said:
Pyramid|1413057399|3765878 said:
wait another 10 yrs and this diamond will be free... :wink2:
I certainly hope not. That would mean bad things for my career!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid|1413065508|3765904 said:
I would really like to know how pricing works, as my diamond instead of going down $5000 (although sold ofcourse) has a comparable diamond shown on the whiteflash site which is $8000 more than mine. Mine was listed along with this diamond so I know how much the price difference was from this one. However this one is now minus $5000 and mine is plus $8000, how can that be?
Pyramid, I am not sure at this moment that I can give you an explanation that you would think makes sense. Perhaps Monday I will have more insight on this particular stone. But if you read that explanation in the previous thread it describes some of the vagueries of pricing. There are alot of factors that go into these decisions and some of them pertain to the individual business independent of the broader market. But you might want to correlate the pricing history of the stone that you own and this stone with market graph here on pricescope and see how well they track. The swings do seem alot more dramatic on the high dollar stones.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pricescope market graph is just for carat weight unless I am looking at the wrong chart.

I just looked and the 3 carat stone which is comparable to mine is actually $13,000 more expensive. The 3.083 G VS1. Just noticed the word on the whiteflash site is 'alternative' not comparable.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pyramid, I think once your diamond sold, its price shouldn't adjust but remained as sold price. Since it was sold at a high price, it would appear to be $8k more than comparable stone.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The comparable stone is the 3.08 and it is 13k more than my sold price. My stone was more than the 2.07 but now seems even more. don't know if alternative means the same price.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking now it doesn't really matter as was written before by someone in this thread, the diamond price stops at what you buy it.

I just wonder if I was to upgrade to this other comparable diamond though would I be paying more for it, when the ring I own is really worth the same amount now since it is an 'alternative' diamond on the list to mine. I know prices go up with time and I cant expect to get more than I paid but just wondering why this diamond at $16000 more is an alternative, should there not be a limit to the amount unless mine really is worth that amount now which I doubt going by the stats that are on pricescope each month; although they are an average for size of all the color grades.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Pyramid,
The alternative diamond feature just looks for in-stock diamonds of the most similar size and quality. They may or may not be comparable diamonds from an overall value perpesptive, although they tend to be in those areas where inventory is deep. In the bigger, higher quality stones the diamonds offered as alternatives may be quite different.

With regard to trade-up, our policy is very simple. You will get 100% of the price paid toward any other single diamond. It does not have to be bigger, higher quality or any other stipulation. I think of it as kind as cash value for store credit. This is a guarantee, no matter what the market does. Therefore, if there is a diamond that you prefer to the one you bought, you can trade it at any time. When the market goes down or in the case where a diamond is repriced to a very favorable level, this can be an opportunity to improve your position. Conversely, if the market moves up, it is not as advantageous for the customer, although there are other reasons that make it worth doing.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bryan for clarifying that for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results