shape
carat
color
clarity

What To Do With Your Opals

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't mind taking these home. When's my birthday?

Beads 16.52 to 7.22 mm. Diamond rondelles set in white gold. 18 3/4 inches. AGL report stating origin as Ethiopia. No evidence of enhancements or treatments present. Tested at random. Sale estimate $100K - $150K. Christies Important Jewels auction in November.

_23104.jpg

_23105.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely. Would wearing opals next to the skin like that make it difficult to care for them as in keeping them clean? I cannot remember ever cleaning my opal ring really. I am scared I would damage it. I keep it in a baggie with a moist cotton square so it doesn't dry out and crack but that's all I do. I am sure I am not keeping it at its full potential and I wonder about wearing a necklace such as that in terms of longevity of the opals.

Lovely necklace Laurie. When is your birthday? I think your dh needs a wish list of what you would like with this on the top of the list. :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer opals with a dark base but I'd gladly bring these home should I ever be fortunate to own it (only in my dreams though, I'm sure :lol: ).

Missy,
Since opals are not everyday wear, it should be fine to wear an opal necklace occasionally. Just a gentle moist dab is all you need to keep them clean. It's not as though one is going to spray on perfume after putting on the necklace. A bit of natural body oil isn't going to harm your opal.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just happen to have an October birthday. Hint hint

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono! I also prefer opals with a darker base. The contrast of the black background vs the colors can be spectacular.

Happy October Birthday Lady Disdain! Libra or Scorpio?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I really like black opals best but this necklace is so unusual -- looks better in Christies photo; PS shrank it so the contrast between opal & diamonds isn't as dramatic. I'd manage to find something to wear this with, I'm sure!

Lady D -- I expect to see pics of you wearing it right after your birthday!

--- Laurie

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1412941635|3765325 said:
Thanks Chrono! I also prefer opals with a darker base. The contrast of the black background vs the colors can be spectacular.

Happy October Birthday Lady Disdain! Libra or Scorpio?

Scorpio - Oct 31st :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just say I really hanker after an opal bead necklace? I'm not greedy though, one strand would do me fine :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results