shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for seafoam tourmaline

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am tossing around the idea of an emerald cut seafoam tourmaline. Along the lines color wise as Uppy's cushion. Have contacted a couple cutters and it's kind of sparse pickings. Any directions where to look or someone to contact?

Barry had nothing, Gary has a small one, a bit too small tho.

If anyone has ideas, it would be muchly appreciated!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Might be helpful to add the picture eh?

_457.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advise would be to search out "Afghan tourmaline" rather than "seafoam." You might find something that way, as Afghan tourmaline is often that minty blue green color. Be careful to look at the stone in various lighting because it can often lose saturation in some.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will change my wording w/the cutters, thanks TL!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator. please only post for sale information in Preloved**

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1412626601|3763133 said:
I will change my wording w/the cutters, thanks TL!

You can use seafoam with the lapidaries, but if you do an internet search, it helps using the terms "Afghan tourmaline"

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
When I Google seafoam tourmaline, it throws up nothing substantial and a real mix of pictures.

is there a specific criteria to be classed as seafoam. I'm not sure the tourm I'm waiting on from brad counts but it does to me. Mind you I think our UK seafoam might look drastically different b from yours lol

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that ring-thanks for posting the picture. Good luck on your search.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I'm not real sure on size, actually. It doesn't need to be overly large, 5x7 or a little bigger would probably be ok. Do you have pics by any chance, marymm? I think I have a listing still up on LT too, the leaf ring.

I hadn't even bothered w/a google search yet, just went to a few cutters is all and then started looking at the websites of the usual suspects.

I have a seafoam round Barry...just looking for a more seafoamy seafoam.

Isn't it gorgeous, lambskin?? such a great color!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if the OP has contacted Jeff White or not, however, he had a few Seaform Tourmalines in his sold Tourmalines gallery, perhaps he may still have some roughs in his inventory that may suit:

http://www.whitesgems.com/tourmalinegallery.html

DK :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It does look like slim pickings right now, Packrat, but will keep you in mind as I roam around. We're heading toward holiday season so lapidaries may be cutting & putting up more beauties.

--- Laurie

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks dk-was just looking in there actually! I remember this ring being on DB a long while back...shoulda gotten it! I think it was LTP's? Granted, it's not an ec but dang it's gorgeous!

Thanks jewelfreak!

dscn0100.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy search packrat!
I love the inspiration pics you posted. Hope you find a gorgeous stone soon.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1412632086|3763223 said:
Happy search packrat!
I love the inspiration pics you posted. Hope you find a gorgeous stone soon.

Second that! I sure wish I had something for you, Packie, I'd make sure to send it along. But all I have is more saturated teal colored tourms. Good luck though, it will be gorgeous!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to add: just the name "seafoam;" I wanna say it over and over.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact Jerry Newman too.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1412629729|3763181 said:
You know, I'm not real sure on size, actually. It doesn't need to be overly large, 5x7 or a little bigger would probably be ok. Do you have pics by any chance, marymm? I think I have a listing still up on LT too, the leaf ring.

I hadn't even bothered w/a google search yet, just went to a few cutters is all and then started looking at the websites of the usual suspects.

I have a seafoam round Barry...just looking for a more seafoamy seafoam.

Isn't it gorgeous, lambskin?? such a great color!

packrat, fyi: I just emailed you via your LT listing - I know there's been some glitches with LT email so if you don't get it, maybe you could reach me thru DB and I can get the info to you that way?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I messaged you back marymm!

I've not seen those before, thanks guys!

Jerry doesn't have rough that will cut the shapes I'm looking for. Might need to rethink my list.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff has rough, so waiting to see what sizes/shapes he might be able to get.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are pretty TL, thanks for the link!

I've been looking on here at pictures of seafoam stones and I see such a range of colors. It makes me wonder if I need to look at the pictures on the other computer too, and try to figure out what color is the right color that I'm seeing, if that makes sense? My computer here shows Uppy's stone different than my work computer. Work computer shows it w/more blue, mine at home shows it w/more green w/gray. Even some look mint-ish to me, rather than seafoam-ish.

EEEK!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, my own avatar looks different on my home and work computers. I chose it because it's true to color on my home computer, but on my work computer, it looks darker.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, look at the pictures using different electronic devices due to calibration differences and PS does weird things to uploaded pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1413201069|3766374 said:
Yup, look at the pictures using different electronic devices due to calibration differences and PS does weird things to uploaded pictures.

I notice if a picture is too huge in size, PS will auto shrink the size, and that also kills the saturation. When I upload my pics, I first crop them and then I shrink them on paintbrush to 20% of their original size. That helps.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been doing the reverse and found the picture highly desaturated once posted. I will try the method you suggested. Thanks!

S

SparkliesLuver

packrat said:
Jeff has rough, so waiting to see what sizes/shapes he might be able to get.

Any updates? Can't wait to hear/see. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you also might want to do is post a "WTB" (Want to buy) thread in the pre-loved section. You can also get some options there.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1412984266|3765638 said:
I've been looking on here at pictures of seafoam stones and I see such a range of colors. It makes me wonder if I need to look at the pictures on the other computer too, and try to figure out what color is the right color that I'm seeing, if that makes sense? My computer here shows Uppy's stone different than my work computer. Work computer shows it w/more blue, mine at home shows it w/more green w/gray. Even some look mint-ish to me, rather than seafoam-ish.

EEEK!
Not only is there a difference in color displays between my iMac and my Windows laptop, but I finally realized that I tend to work on my laptop with the screen tilted back a bit in a position that's bad for seeing colors. Don't know if you have ever re-calibrated your work and home monitors, but maybe that would make a helpful difference for you. Even without investing in the appropriate software-hardware (which I have yet to do), you can do at least some measure of re-calibration via the tweaking pointers offered, e.g., here:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

On top of the differences in displays, it seems that we all don't share the same idea of what is "seafoam." I returned a couple tourmalines that I would call mint, but which the vender characterized as seafoam. So I think Andrew Gulij's references to Pantone color guide numbers in his Gemfix descriptions is a good idea, altho' it seems unlikely that many of his prospective customers have the Pantone cards at hand.

Good luck in your search!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results