shape
carat
color
clarity

Health Premiums - 2015 Edition

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We just got our info on our health premiums. They aren't going up too much, just under 10% (to almost $300 PER PAYCHECK)...but our deductibles are doubling (from $250 individual/500 family to $500/1000). Plus, our drug coverage is changing, to where we have to pay 20% of name brand (generics are still $5).

How is everyone else doing?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Our policy is being cancelled as of Jan 1. I have briefly looked around and I am now facing a $800 monthly premium, and $6000 individual/$12000family deductible. Going to seriously start making some calls tomorrow.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ponder said:
Our policy is being cancelled as of Jan 1. I have briefly looked around and I am now facing a $800 monthly premium, and $6000 individual/$12000family deductible. Going to seriously start making some calls tomorrow.

Oh, super.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I don't know exactly what we are paying since it comes out of my dh's paycheck. I do know that our premium was raised in July and in January they are switching us to a different company and there will be another raise in our premiums. Yay Obamacare. :angryfire:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry about the rising fee's etc, it is not easy. This is only the beginning of insurance woes I'm afraid.

Remember in the run up to the 2012 election? The employer mandate was suspended to mitigate political collateral damage? (Which would've been tremendous.) It was delayed until 2015 for employers with 100 or more full-time equivalent employees, & until 2016 for companies with 50 to 99 full-time equivalent employees. It will eventually hurt us all in some form or fashion.

Certain employers, depending on size--will have to pay tax penalties under the employer shared responsibility rules if they do not offer coverage to full time employees. This cost will generally be passed on & not absorbed by an employer, having tremendous implications downwind to the economy. Example: My sister has already had her hours reduced to under 30 hours, as anything above 30 would've qualified her as full time under the ACA. She is in the hospitality industry in FL. Her company choose this method to escape to paying the penalties for non-coverage to 'full-time' employees.

In respect to employers, employee's & the effect on our economy, this is ONLY the beginning.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch that is rough. I'm in Canada, and although we pay taxes, I don't have any additional costs for my employer group benefits. I don't think I'd be able to afford what you guys are getting charged, that's crazy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to read this. I thought the purpose of universal insurance/healthcare is to make healthcare affordable for everyone. :nono:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, it's getting worse and only going to continue.

We can't afford coverage for me this year. Through my husband's employer, it would be a huge expense to add me. The policies offered on the marketplace are not good products and are not worth the premiums, even if they WERE affordable (they aren't, especially when you see what you'd get for what you'd pay.) Purchasing a private policy would not be any better or more affordable.

I'm glad for those the ACA is helping. I know it has been great for a certain portion of the population. I just happen to be in the "fall through the cracks" category. I could divorce my husband and get assistance and subsidies and let the rest of the population pay for my life. I could go back to work 55-60 hours a week/6 days a week and never see my child or family, let someone else raise our child while we work to pay for all this "health care" and hope I got good coverage through my company. I mean, hey, there are options! :cheeky:

Now that so many more Americans have HAD to purchase insurance, boy I bet the insurance companies are laughing all the way to the banks! Really worked out well for those giant corporations, didn't it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's why I like the concept of universal healthcare but I don't like to be forced by the government to line the pocket of for-profit companies.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412965929|3765513 said:
That's why I like the concept of universal healthcare but I don't like to be forced by the government to line the pocket of for-profit companies.

You sound like you're too intelligent for your own good, Chrono. :shhh:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Single payer.

Like every developed country in the world with an excellent standard of living.

France, best healthcare in the world.

Belgium, Holland, Ireland for example also.

Yes, your taxes will be high (and while I'm on that subject, flat tax please, its the only fair way) but you can't be bankrupted by an illness. You can't be turned down for treatment. You can negotiate your salary at work without having health insurance in the mix.

I just wrapped up 10 years working at Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic Hospital. Almost 100% of the admin costs related to healthcare come from satisfying the insurance company demands for more information from your doctor and for your doctor having to fight your insurance company's decision to deny you treatment.

For those of you who believe that single payer rewards lazy people who won't work, I would like to remind you that YOU are paying for their treatment and care at the most expensive venue possible: The Emergency Department.

All those years Walmart had windfall profts from 'smart' corporate decisionmaking including not insuring employees, YOU were insuring those Walmart employees via the Emergency Department. Last night's news, Walmart stopping insurance coverage for part time employees.

If the strength and quality of a country or society is in the strength and quality of its people, what good does it do the US to have chronically ill people, poorly educated people, malnourished and neglected children and the elderly, a crumbling and dangerous infrastructure (roads, bridges, buildings, water/sewer/gas), and a huge gulf between the Haves and the Have Nots?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1412968332|3765536 said:
Single payer.

Yes, your taxes will be high (and while I'm on that subject, flat tax please, its the only fair way) but you can't be bankrupted by an illness. You can't be turned down for treatment. You can negotiate your salary at work without having health insurance in the mix.

I just wrapped up 10 years working at Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic Hospital. Almost 100% of the admin costs related to healthcare come from satisfying the insurance company demands for more information from your doctor and for your doctor having to fight your insurance company's decision to deny you treatment.

For those of you who believe that single payer rewards lazy people who won't work, I would like to remind you that YOU are paying for their treatment and care at the most expensive venue possible: The Emergency Department.

All those years Walmart had windfall profts from 'smart' corporate decisionmaking including not insuring employees, YOU were insuring those Walmart employees via the Emergency Department. Last night's news, Walmart stopping insurance coverage for part time employees.

If the strength and quality of a country or society is in the strength and quality of its people, what good does it do the US to have chronically ill people, poorly educated people, malnourished and neglected children and the elderly, a crumbling and dangerous infrastructure (roads, bridges, buildings, water/sewer/gas), and a huge gulf between the Haves and the Have Nots?

Yeah we really do need to bite the bullet and go to single payer. Unfortunately the health insurance company lobbies are so powerful, politicians feel it is political/monetary suicide to push for this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/06/25/busted-health-insurers-secretly-spent-huge-to-defeat-health-care-reform-while-pretending-to-support-obamacare/

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Single payer.

Yeah we really do need to bite the bullet and go to single payer. Unfortunately the health insurance and big Pharma lobbyists money make or break elections, politicians feel it is political/monetary suicide to push for this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/06/25/busted-health-insurers-secretly-spent-huge-to-defeat-health-care-reform-while-pretending-to-support-obamacare/

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine went up about $40 a month. Not horrible.

Eta: what I think is interesting is my employer, a large hospital system, offers insurance single, single +1, or family. So you don't have to pay more if you have more than one kid. Also age and sex is not a factor. When I have a private policy they take that into consideration.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Mine went up about $40 a month. Not horrible. Eta: what I think is interesting is my employer, a large hospital system, offers insurance single, single +1, or family. So you don't have to pay more if you have more than one kid. Also age and sex is not a factor. When I have a private policy they take that into consideration.

That's how it's been for every company I've worked for- same price whether you have 1 kid or

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work for a large medical insurance company, I do not have their insurance, its horrible coverage and expensive, I do have my hubby's and his only offers family or single coverage nothing in between. We pay very little only $70 a month with a $250.00 deductible per person, $540 max and 80/20 after that..100% on labs...I know that what I have is amazing..so with me working in the healthcare industry I also know this has to change, 2014 seen no changes other than a increase of the premium from $50 to $70...this year I am scared..I have not heard yet what the changes will be, my hubby is out on disability so he has not received any of that information yet and probably won't till he goes back to work. I know with the new laws out there it must change...I am spoiled I have had it good for so long that it will be very hard for me to financial adjust to what I am sure will be hugh changes.

As I read the previous post, it utterly terrifies me, some of you pay alot of money for very high deductibles..I am so sorry about that. Middle class America is the one's that are going to be really hurt by all the changes...I am considered "poor" by the governments definition of middle class, but I consider myself middle of the road middle class and these changes will effect my life style greatly and at my age (closing in on retirement) I don't need it, but I can't do anything about it but accept the inevitable :(sad

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
interesting thread!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I work for the government. My insurance was cancelled because it was a Cadillac plan. We now have a $500 deductible where we had none. My coverage is free, so I cannot complain too much.

I suspicion that the Affordable Care Act was designed to fail and push us to single payer.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Single payer.

Azstonie...will you marry me? :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results