shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Peeve: Tabloid e-ring guestimates

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Does it drive you mad when a tabloid writer clearly doesn't know anything about diamonds? They throw out random numbers, gets the shape wrong, or the most frustrating thing is not know the difference between carats and karat.

Here is any example of Lauren Conrad's "3-carat honker".

1395770299_lauren-conrad-zoom.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either she has really big fingers or that's not three carats... unless it's rather deep.

I always love the Diana/Kate "18 carat" ring when really that was apparently originally referring to the gold and people got confused... I suppose there's no tactful way to backtrack that once it's out there, especially if you're royalty.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously not 3 carats. Unless her hand is huge! BTW-Who is this Lauran Conrad? All those Hollywood starlets look the same to me!
I have also wondered where they come up with 18 carats in the Diana/Kate sapphire.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1412809985|3764533 said:
BTW-Who is this Lauran Conrad? All those Hollywood starlets look the same to me!

She was on the reality tv show "Laguna Beach" and then starred in its spinoff "The Hills." Since then, she has done typical post-reality tv stuff like "write" some books, etc. I only know about her because my college roommate freshman year was OBSESSED with The Hills. Which wasn't even a good show. But whatever.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh YES this is a massive pet peeve of mine! Seriously just a 2 min Goggle about different diamond cuts would even assist them to get it right - pure laziness...:angryfire:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't have a word karat in the United Kingdom, we use carat for both gold content and for diamond weight.
Diamond and gemstone carat weight is not often mentioned here, especially when the Late Lady Di got engaged, so it would have been
used for 18 carat gold, if the mention of it came from over here.

I have seen 14k in some rings that were imported, and I believe the word 'karat' may be used in other parts of Europe like
Italy, but it is not recognised as a word in the UK.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1412810761|3764546 said:
stracci2000|1412809985|3764533 said:
BTW-Who is this Lauran Conrad? All those Hollywood starlets look the same to me!

She was on the reality tv show "Laguna Beach" and then starred in its spinoff "The Hills." Since then, she has done typical post-reality tv stuff like "write" some books, etc. I only know about her because my college roommate freshman year was OBSESSED with The Hills. Which wasn't even a good show. But whatever.
She has also created a successful lifestyle "brand" that has the feeling of being a perfect Pinterester. http://laurenconrad.com/

She also has a line of accessories, clothes, shoes and home goods with Kohls. http://www.kohls.com/sale-event/lc-lauren-conrad.jsp

She also recently started a fair trade marketplace with a friend. http://www.thelittlemarket.com/

I used to watch Laguna Beach and The Hills, and she was always my favorite character, so I pay attention when stuff about her pops up. I'm glad to see that she has actually done something with herself, and seems really successful, unlike Heidi Montag....

My reality tv addiction is showing.

I'd bet that it's 1.5-2cts, but no way it's three. She seems to stick to more classic/understated stuff rather than going over the top like most other reality show starlets (coughKimKardashiancough).

Tabloids ALWAYS GET CELEB RINGS WRONG. I think it's like, a law of the universe or something.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tabloids publish what people want to read, whether or not it conforms to reality. And tabloid readers don't want to hear how she got a perfectly nice and perfectly affordable ring - they want something big and splashy and worthy of !!!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results