shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I missing something? I don't get the fascination...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1412805566|3764493 said:
Re: gemstones, what I meant is that they don't sparkle the way that diamonds do. Emeralds don't really sparkle. They're gorgeous, and they pop and have tons of presence on the hand - but do they sparkle? Maybe they flash, or twinkle. But they don't SPARKLE. They're beautiful in a different kind of way.

Rose cuts are quietly pretty. They're serene. I understand the appeal.
Erica! You need to spend some quality time with some gemstones! No, emeralds don't really sparkle, and most sapphires/rubies aren't exactly sparkle bombs, but there are some spinels and garnets out there that put up some strong competition, especially some precision cut ones.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1412891381|3765051 said:
ericad|1412805566|3764493 said:
Re: gemstones, what I meant is that they don't sparkle the way that diamonds do. Emeralds don't really sparkle. They're gorgeous, and they pop and have tons of presence on the hand - but do they sparkle? Maybe they flash, or twinkle. But they don't SPARKLE. They're beautiful in a different kind of way.

Rose cuts are quietly pretty. They're serene. I understand the appeal.
Erica! You need to spend some quality time with some gemstones! No, emeralds don't really sparkle, and most sapphires/rubies aren't exactly sparkle bombs, but there are some spinels and garnets out there that put up some strong competition, especially some precision cut ones.
With the right tone and cutting ruby and sapphire can sparkle like crazy not as well as a diamond but most people would be shocked.
The vast majority are of too dark a tone to really sparkle much.

My wifey has a concave cut topaz I got her that in spot lighting puts many poorly cut diamonds to shame.
When she is singing in church you can see it flashing bright blue sparks from the back of the church.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
To follow-up on my earlier post, here's an extraordinary pink rose cut I saw this summer... Even better in person!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericad|1412892142|3765060 said:
Girl, I had a Tsav once that gave me seizures every time I looked at it! :love:
Why is that in past tense?!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say they glimmer. I like them. As someone said it is the way the light passes over the surface of the facets, and no one has said but one of the main things I like is that the facets are all triangles. I saw a scarf last year with diamond like fire colors done the same way in triangles and bought it because it reminded me of the rose cuts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about coloured stones; most that are sold out there are inky black or way to dark, and with horrible cuts which when combined just makes for a dead or boring looking stone. Emeralds CAN sparkle - it's just that most are too included and so we've come to expect to see dull emeralds too.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Apparently, I missed some of these posts, totally agree with Gypsy the opaque ones can be very nice but I guess I consider them entirely different as they have no brilliance. I think black diamonds are way cool and jewelry with them can be stunning and unique combined with well-cut whites or colored stones. Still, I think I prefer them with a pavilion, just the shape.

Erica, of course watches can sparkle, mine does.:))) I understand you too but it depends, mine is an Art Deco diamond watch. It really is a bracelet, the movement needs restorations like every six months anyhow.

I also see the point about solitaires, though I have one that is pretty unique, many of them look very similar, I guess I prefer a more intricate design most the time but then we are not created equal.:))) Then if you think this is the point about solitaires, would we say all black dresses look the same too?

I wish I could post a pic of my Deco bracelet but I am not allowed even though all my antique jewelry comes from my pre-jewelry making days.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OVincze|1413006863|3765735 said:
Apparently, I missed some of these posts, totally agree with Gypsy the opaque ones can be very nice but I guess I consider them entirely different as they have no brilliance. I think black diamonds are way cool and jewelry with them can be stunning and unique combined with well-cut whites or colored stones. Still, I think I prefer them with a pavilion, just the shape.

Erica, of course watches can sparkle, mine does.:))) I understand you too but it depends, mine is an Art Deco diamond watch. It really is a bracelet, the movement needs restorations like every six months anyhow.

I also see the point about solitaires, though I have one that is pretty unique, many of them look very similar, I guess I prefer a more intricate design most the time but then we are not created equal.:))) Then if you think this is the point about solitaires, would we say all black dresses look the same too?

I wish I could post a pic of my Deco bracelet but I am not allowed even though all my antique jewelry comes from my pre-jewelry making days.

if all little black dresses were the size of solitaire diamond rings than yes id say they all looked the same

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results