shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think? Should I or not buy this 'ol cushion?

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, its true vintage circa 1900's old cushion and european cuts are very popular and reasonable. I love the chunky feel and flashy of bold lighting. So I am a new PS'er but have been doing research and need opinions on this ring. Should I purchase or wait? There's no GIA cert or ASET report, but they do have an in house GIA expert and does come with 'their' appraisal.

I found this through a private seller and wanted to ask for your opinions on this ring. I am thinking of having it reset in a custom setting at a later time. Here's my must haves and so I think this ring meets most of them:
Cut: Cushion or European cut
Color: J-L
Carat: 1.6-1.8
Cost: $4-$5K

What the seller describe the ring:
This is a true cushion cut diamond measuring 6.9 MM by 6.2 MM in diameter by 5.55 MM deep.
Weighing exactly 1.71CTS.
This single large diamond is almost flawless, of VVS1 clarity
The diamond is clear and brilliant, of K to L color with no chips, abrasions or problems. Set in a yellow gold 14k mirror back setting.
There is a 14 day money back guarantee, but it has to be appraised for less that what is describe. Also they are open to negotiating.
I think this stone looks very clear and cut looks great, but it just could be the pictures! They are asking $5k.

Opinions please! (Thank you all in advance!)

cushion_cut_4.jpg

_23059.jpg

_23060.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I recognize that seller's pictures. They charge a restocking fee, right? If I'm not mistaken, they usually inflate their grading. I'm personally not a fan of the facet pattern.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure that depth is right? That is way too deep.....
89% depth...I've never seen a diamond that deep before.
The faceting looks pretty good but faces up small because of the depth.
I wonder how that will affect the performance of the stone being that deep....I'm not seeing nail head though,
which usually comes with the deep old cuts.

For that weight you should be able to come close to a 7 x 7mm stone. What is your budget?

You could offer them 1/2 if you really like it. For your budget it might be worth it. Maybe someone else will chime in on that depth.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Looks and sounds sketchy.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your comments. I'm not feeling it either and I think it's best just to keep looking. I too much of a newbie and need to spend more time thinking about what I really want in a center stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Do not like it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No... Not an attractive stone.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all...Fortekitty,Arie144,JulieN,lknvrb4,gypsy,&tyty333! I'm still educating myself and realize after reading old threads that I will need to be very patient with myself and really think about what I want. So thank you all for putting up with a newbie and more posting with better questions coming soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results