carat
color
clarity

Simple Pleasures

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1412641233|3763348 said:
Getting a What's App from my daughter with a funny picture of my grand daughter Ellie Lou.

nice-hairw.jpg

Captioned: Mom! I can't believe you're sharing these photos!!! Might as well start saving for my therapy now.

Wink

This picture truly is priceless!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, Thank you posting this wonderful thread. It's been so much fun reading everyone's responses.

Monnie, I can't believe I've found another person who loves to deadhead their flowers!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love seeing butterflies flitting about flowers

I love getting in and driving my trusty little 11-year old car

I love the lilt in my DH's voice at the end of the day when he calls and tells me "I'm coming home!"

I love finding a new-to-me author

I love comfy, stylish shoes that make me feel long-legged and want to keep walking

I love rootbeer lollipops and chocolate-marshmallow pumpkins (shout-out to See's)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1412647827|3763409 said:
Gypsy, Thank you posting this wonderful thread. It's been so much fun reading everyone's responses.

Monnie, I can't believe I've found another person who loves to deadhead their flowers!

Oh good! I don't feel like such a weirdo now! :wavey:

AutumnNovember, hopefully you'll have nice neighbors when you move and you can develop friendships with them. It is really great to have people close by to share things with and help out in times of need.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smell of bread baking in the oven.
Seeing my freshly-cleaned Octavia in a new location with surprise bling light.

The doggies sitting on my lap watching a film on Netflix.
That first sip of morning coffee.

Using my chain saw. YEAH!
Sitting in my silent hybrid car at a red light when the engine has shut itself off.

Playing piano, or guitar.
Hearing my student improve.

A freshly-cleaned aquarium.
Swimming laps outside at sunrise.

Finishing the laundry.
Sleeping in.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reading this wonderful thread and enjoying the realization of simple pleasures that I too enjoy but have not thought of in ages.

You guys are definitely cool about the simple pleasures you enjoy!

Wink

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412656159|3763454 said:
The smell of bread baking in the oven.
Seeing my freshly-cleaned Octavia in a new location with surprise bling light.

The doggies sitting on my lap watching a film on Netflix.
That first sip of morning coffee.

Using my chain saw. YEAH!
Sitting in my silent hybrid car at a red light when the engine has shut itself off.

Playing piano, or guitar.
Hearing my student improve.

A freshly-cleaned aquarium.
Swimming laps outside at sunrise.

Finishing the laundry.
Sleeping in.

Can you sculpt??? :naughty:

chainsawsculptor.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've see a sculptor who uses a chain saw.
VERY cool!

I'd never consider it, though.
Chain saws are very dangerous.
I got all the safety gear and spent forever studying before powering it up.
I use mine only as much as necessary, but I LOVE to use it.

Notice his chaps.
They contain strands of light tyvek-like material.
If the moving blade touches the chaps strands get pulled in and jam the blade before it can cut into your skin.
The chaps were $100! :knockout:
Watch them work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWIwyfkmlNs

Wearing these is one of my simple pleasures, so this is not a threadjack. :D

screen_shot_2014-10-07_at_11.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those chaps are cool! I didn't realize they were THAT functional, awesome.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like to sit on my bench in my butterfly garden, on a sunny day it's alive with flying beauties. We have a couple of territorial species, so they fly around and around the yard all day, slowly pointing out all the flowers I wouldn't have noticed without them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Monnie & Calliecake -- I love to deadhead flowers too! It feels so gooood.

I starch & iron my sheets -- the best feeling to slide into new clean sweet-smelling ones after a long day.

My dog Charlie woo-wooing at me to play with her -- and her innocent trusting smiley face.

A hot shower on a cold morning. Cold shower on a hot day after gardening.

The smell of grass in summer, the sound of cicadas.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Picture this:

Husband and sons are gone away for the weekend to visit the MIL...

I just visited the bead store and picked up a pair of earrings that were mistakenly put on the sale rack. They have 6 rough diamond briolettes and I've gotten them for a song. I will of course be ripping them apart and using the briolettes in a necklace I've been compiling with RD briolettes.

The house is empty, there is a good movie on the telly, I have some leftovers, my bead tray is all set up, and lo! I've just picked up not one, but three great paperbacks from the library as well.

Put the the kettle on...

life is good.

It did happen once.

anners11

Rough_Rock
I love this thread!

- The smell of a bonfire.

- Biting into a perfectly prepared s'more cooked over said bonfire.

- A glass of chardonnay after a particularly stressful day.

- Discovering some new detail in my favorite book which I've read 100 times or so.

- My dog snoring.

- When a patient says "Thank you for helping me."

- The way my dog won't let a new toy out of her site the first day she gets it.

annie_and_toy.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1412710066|3763792 said:

I starch & iron my sheets -- the best feeling to slide into new clean sweet-smelling ones after a long day.

My dog Charlie woo-wooing at me to play with her -- and her innocent trusting smiley face.

Jewel Freak, And here I thought Monnie and I were the only crazy ones!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1412787413|3764336 said:
JewelFreak|1412710066|3763792 said:

Jewel Freak, And here I thought Monnie and I were the only crazy ones!

OK so I have no clue as to what this is but I can guess. Sounds very punk rock if you kwim lol. Off to look it up you deadheaders you. :cheeky:

Anners, is that a boxer? What a beautiful baby! So sweet and LOL with the toy. Precious! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deadhead flower = Cutting off the dead flower buds. I like to do this to my roses too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412788222|3764343 said:
Cutting off the dead flower buds. I like to do this to my roses too.

Thanks Chrono! So sad but necessary. I love flowers but it's so sad when they die and when the seasons pass and winter changes the whole landscape. I mean, don't get me wrong, I find beauty in all the seasons and I just love the snow and the bare trees in winter against the grey sky. So stark and for me somehow romantic (I know I know I'm weird 8-) ) but I always get sad when flowers lose their bloom and die.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1412788404|3764344 said:
Chrono|1412788222|3764343 said:
Cutting off the dead flower buds. I like to do this to my roses too.

Thanks Chrono! So sad but necessary. I love flowers but it's so sad when they die and when the seasons pass and winter changes the whole landscape. I mean, don't get me wrong, I find beauty in all the seasons and I just love the snow and the bare trees in winter against the grey sky. So stark and for me somehow romantic (I know I know I'm weird 8-) ) but I always get sad when flowers lose their bloom and die.

The positive thing about deadheading (other than the satisfaction of the physical act of doing so) is that it helps the plant put its energy into new growth and promotes new blooms.

Some people leave the dead blooms of certain plants on the plant for winter interest/wildlife. I do this with a few things in my garden, and other dead blooms I leave on and harvest to save the seeds from them later (like zinnias.)

I've been deadheading my mums relentlessly the past couple weeks in order to get another round of blooms out of them. Then, when they're finished, I bring them in the garage to overwinter so they'll bloom again next year. Not sad when I know they'll be back again next year! :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point Monnie! I just hate when anything (except scary bugs like roaches that is) dies but YAY for your mums being brought back next year. :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several rose knock out bushes that are having their last bloom of the year. I also have 15 potted plants of geranium with ivy plants. They look beautiful now but I know as soon the frost comes they will all be gone. How I wish I had a greenhouse. I say this about 20 times per day this time of year! So glad you also love deadheading Chrono. I seriously have never met anyone else who enjoys this.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
holding hands, with anybody

hugs from my son

the smell of fresh cut grass

getting phone calls/texts from my daughter

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomatos picked at the peak of ripeness from my garden. Gorgeously red, juicy, sweet and tender. :lickout:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Catching "Inner Light" or "Lessons" on TV totally at random (Star Trek TNG Episodes)

First bite of ribs just out of the smoker.

The smile my FI gets when she thinks I don't notice.

That moment when you realize that the book has you and you know you should be doing something else, but you have to know what happens next.

That moment of accomplishment right after finishing a good book.

Calling the right play at the right time and getting a sack or pick (football)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread Gypsy!

Stopping in to my favorite consignment furnishings store.

Rearranging furniture in a room.

A great cup of coffee.

The scent of my kids skin and freshly washed hair.

Burying my face in my kitty's neck and enjoying the softness and sweet scent of his fur.

Having someone play with my hair or scratch my back.

A great movie.

A great read.

Rain. Love rain!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more… the sound of the first peepers in spring!

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
When I don't feel good and my little doggie knows it and she comes to sit and comfort me

Watching people eat and enjoy food I've made

The feeling of warm fall wind swirling around me

Going out to lunch

Warm pool skinny dipping

These are a few of my simple pleasures

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this thread! :appl:

Some of mine are:
1. Autumn in New England, NSW - crisp days and changing leaves are so pretty. Warm fires and hot chocolate!
2. Fresh crisp cotton sheets on your bed - then getting into them on a hot summers night. Ooooooooooh baby........
3. My husband being just being silly and overhearing him singing in the shower how much he loves me. :love:
5. My two dogs rushing into the house to see me when I get home from work. Covering me in loving licks and squeaking with joy.
6. Falling asleep to the sound of rain on a tin roof. As someone who grew up in a 6yr drought this is the best sound ever.
7. Hugs from Mum & Dad - this never gets old.
8. The smell of fresh cut lawn and feel of it (minus bindis!) on your bare feet.
9. The complete and utter silence that only snow brings.
10. Closing my eyes and surrendering to the sound of a favourite classical piece of music - feeling the emotion with it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
"touring" our yards. JD thinks it's hilarious that when Spring finally rolls around and we start daily tours to see what's coming up, the first hosta poking thru causes me to jump up and down and squeal excitedly. Can't help it. I love to be out in the yard. Just sitting there is enough for me, but I like when we do a "spruce up" and deadhead/weed/hose off the decks and get everything "just so" rather than the lick and a promise we usually do. We tour and point out the same things to each other daily, just marveling at how things come together. We've got tons of hummingbirds now, bees, butterflies, moths, it's just unreal to sit out there and decompress.

Hugs and attention from the kids at school. I love when we're walking down the hall and one of them will come up and slip their hand into mine. Or they'll crawl up in my lap at snack and tell me they love me. Or ask me to go down the slide w/them. Working there showed me I can love other people's kids like my own.

My kitties. Watching them play and stretch out like yoga kitties, having them try so hard to curl up into the tiniest little ball and get as close as utterly possible to you.

When JD does something or says something that shows how much he gets me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, snow-silence! Isn't that incredible? There's no other "sound" like that. That's the best part of winter. I like when there's no breeze, it's that "just right" temp for winter where your nostrils aren't freezing shut, and the snow comes straight down so gently. love it. Especially when it's those huge flakes!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the upper MW I'm dreading the cold & snow of winter that is on the way, 'snow silence' ( what a great word!) just made me think, oh yeah, that is kinda cool....now that you mention it, I do like the snow-silence.... :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results