shape
carat
color
clarity

FCD CAD assistance request

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Chrono - just saw the pics of the finished ring - the Art Nouveau-esque yet original design is gorgeous, impeccably proportioned and the finish work looks ideal - certainly a setting worthy of your FCDs - I so look forward to your in-person reaction and on-hand pics!

(And, I completely understand and agree with your take on the JuliaB setting)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1412506125|3762390 said:
Freke,
It's obviously not a direct copy as she herself wrote that it was inspired. I, myself, said I am also probably being unreasonable in feeling this way. However, I admit to feeling out of sorts at seeing a very strong resemblance to my original L design. Even though the L design was eventually scrapped, it's the principal of it to me.

There is one CAD design very VERY close to this; It's the last design done by Ryan before Bonnie took over. Moreover, Starzin and several other PSers spent weeks mulling over this to now have a vendor benefit financially from their hard work? It doesn't feel right to me. That's all I was trying to say. Whether it is truly right or wrong is not my call. I wonder how Joseph Jewellers will feel to see JuliaB's ring and their opinion.

And Freke, I'm not feeling indignant. I don't feel that upset or insulted; mostly stunned by her audacity. The gist of my post is to advise others not to post their ideas, especially very unique ideas that they spent weeks perfecting, openly on PS or they might just be surprised to see vendors create such a ring and make a profit off it.
You and I are going to have to disagree on this.

You discarded the idea wholly and completely. Your ring as an asymmetrical Russian Romanov ring only exists in CAD imagery. You got the original idea from an antique Russian ring. Julia's ring follows the lines of the original ring almost exactly, but in reality has a lot of differences as well.

The pave, the buttercup settings, the lines, the amount of metal, the number of stones, the layout of the stones, the colors, the carving are all different from the original and both imitations.

You aren't the original designer of the original ring, and as far as I can tell, you own no intellectual rights to an abstract idea that did not come into fruition. You were ripping off the design of the original. How, exactly, is that different from Julia ripping off the same design of the original ring? Her ring bears far more resemblance in the curves of the leaves and stone placement to that ring than anything you and your CAD designers produced.

I spent a lot of time trying to help you with this idea, including lots of sketches, some that I didn't even bother posting because I knew you'd shoot them down. All of the 7 months that this thread has been posted, I've been around. Not to mention the many threads that came before it. And I've read every single word even if I haven't posted that much. So it's not like it's just you and the CAD designers and Starzin. I see nothing wrong with what Julia has done. She was inspired by the Russian antique - just as you were.

in·dig·nant
inˈdiɡnənt/
adjective
feeling or showing anger or annoyance at what is perceived as unfair treatment.

Again, agree to disagree.

chrono_compare2.jpg

chrono_compare.jpg

chrono_compare3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interestingly, I just uncovered this. These are sketches I did and posted on page 11 (July 18), only flipped upside down. Strong resemblance to your finished ring, isn't it? They were posted before you even started working with the new CAD designer (first tiara CADs posted July 28) on the tiara ring. Move the white diamond to the top, spread out the pink pair a little bit and add more metal.

It's just interesting to me how there are very few original ideas are out there in jewelry design.

My point is, I wouldn't accuse you of ripping off my idea/sketch. What's the point? I'm pretty sure your CAD artist never laid eyes on it - I highly doubt you sent it to her. Yet, she and I had similar ideas based on working with you.

chrono_tiara.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(If I were to label someone in this thread as being indignant, it would not be Chrono)

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1412434022|3761961 said:
Consumer ripoff - I'm okay with that.
The original vendor wants to make copies - that's within their rights.
Vendor ripoff - feels strangely wrong but it not something anyone has the right to enforce. Although it's perfect as an L monogramme ring. I tried very hard to unsee it but failed. I'm sorry but I've lost some respect for JuliaB by her doing this. Perhaps it isn't reasonable for me to feel this way but it is what I feel. It's okay if a customer requests this but to me, it's different when it's a potential standard design offering.

Hi, Chrono:
First, let me say that your ring turned out beautifully and I have enjoyed following your creative journey.
Second, I wanted to address your "vendor ripoff" comment. My family has Russian roots and I have been collecting photos of vintage Russian jewelry and working on Russian-inspired designs for a very long time, way before you started your thread. The inspiration for my ring came from these two Russian rings, one was for the shape of the leafs, and the other for the three buttercup diamonds. I respect your opinion that you don't like what I came up with. However, I feel that claiming that I somehow "ripped off" your ideas seems unfair to me. Both of us were using vintage designs for inspirations, neither you nor your jeweler have any claim to them. And the inspiration I am getting from this and other Russian vintage pieces in whatever designs I am working on really have nothing to do with this thread. I am sorry if I upset you though.
Best wishes and enjoy your beautiful ring!
-Julia

russian-vintage-rings.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julia,
Thank you for coming here to explain the situation from your perspective. Just to be clear, I am not in indignant, angry or annoyed in any shape, form or fashion. :)) Let's just the say the timing of the ring being presented for sale raised my eyebrows, that's all. All is well and no hard feelings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joseph Jeweller sent this picture to me because they used this as the base of inspiration for my ring.

img_5720.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Today's the day you get your riii-iiing!!! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin,
You are a day late. JJ shipped the ring last week and I picked it up yesterday. You'll find a thread on it in SMTB.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaa... WHAT????!!!????

How could you not post a pointer here - I NEVER go to SMTB unless I'm told to, it's all diamonds for heaven's sake!

*running*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results