shape
carat
color
clarity

ruby pendant help and Angara.com

tonyalmeida

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. Just want to say thanks for the diamond education I recieved reading all the threads when I bought an engagement ring a year ago. Now, I'm getting married soon and want to give my soon to be wife a ruby necklace. Oddly, I've found this more difficult to assess the value of the jewelry I'm purchasing than ring shopping. I've looked at each of the vendor sites that are in the stickied post but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I came across Angara.com and can't find real reviews anywhere! Anyone have experience? I've been in contact with the rep. He says their rubies are heated but not glass filled. They give a certificate of authenticity and also offer an appraisal from a GIA certified gemologist for $65. They do offer free returns within 30 days so I was thinking of getting it appraised locally if I am to purchase it and not spend $65. Also i am open to jeweler and vendor recommendations! This is the design I like in which I want to maximize my value.

The rep explained their business model as just in time so I'm thinking that's why he does not have a real pic of the stone.

For Angara.com there's a 15% off coupon
The "heirloom" quality AAAA grade 1 ct ruby is about $3,000
The "best" quality AAA Grade 1 ct is about $1,700

http://www.angara.com/p/round-ruby-and-diamond-v-bale-pendant-sp0155r.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tonyalmeida|1412567034|3762748 said:
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here. Just want to say thanks for the diamond education I recieved reading all the threads when I bought an engagement ring a year ago. Now, I'm getting married soon and want to give my soon to be wife a ruby necklace. Oddly, I've found this more difficult to assess the value of the jewelry I'm purchasing than ring shopping. I've looked at each of the vendor sites that are in the stickied post but I couldn't really find what I was looking for. I came across Angara.com and can't find real reviews anywhere! Anyone have experience? I've been in contact with the rep. He says their rubies are heated but not glass filled. They give a certificate of authenticity and also offer an appraisal from a GIA certified gemologist for $65. They do offer free returns within 30 days so I was thinking of getting it appraised locally if I am to purchase it and not spend $65. Also i am open to jeweler and vendor recommendations! This is the design I like in which I want to maximize my value.

The rep explained their business model as just in time so I'm thinking that's why he does not have a real pic of the stone.

For Angara.com there's a 15% off coupon
The "heirloom" quality AAAA grade 1 ct ruby is about $3,000
The "best" quality AAA Grade 1 ct is about $1,700

An in house appraisal and using their own "gemologist" is a major conflict of interest. Lab reports should be from a neutral third party reputable lab, and appraisals done "in house" are usually highly inflated.

These AAA grades are also meaningless. It's funny because their "best" quality looks better than their "heirloom" which looks riddled with extinction.

The description of each quality grade is ridiculous. For example, their heirloom is described as
"Quality Grade - Heirloom (AAAA): Top 1% of rubies, in terms of quality. Truly exceptional deep rich red, very slightly included and exhibits high brilliance. This quality can be found only at the top boutiques in the world."

Sorry, but the top rubies in the world are much nicer than what they're depicting, are unheated/untreated, and cost around $20K for a one carat stone. Their heirloom quality looks like an extinct Thai ruby.

Instead of purchasing a ruby at Angara, what is your budget, and we can find you something with more realistic and truthful expectations. If you don't mind treatment, that will keep the price down.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Don't like these rubies.

What about red spinel from Burma or Mahenge spinel or hotpink sapphire from Sri Lanka or Madagascar....

They are eyeclean and full of sparkles. "New" Burmese Ruby is not allowed in USA ( to my knowledge) and african ruby is very nice but for $1000 pct in a 1+ct stone is not not a top quality.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You also need to make the distinction between appraisal and lab report (often referred to as a certificate).

A lab report - AGL for coloured stones in the US - tells you what it is and whether the stone has been treated and sometimes the type of treatment and origin depending on the level of report you are ordering.

An appraisal tells you it's value, usually for insurance purposes, and a lab report will help the appraiser do a better job.

Take a look at the rubies here http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html and see if anything appeals.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tony,
You are absolutely correct that coloured stone is more complicated and assessing its quality and value can be mind boggling. My beef with websites like Angara and GemsNY are as follows:

1. Most pictures are stock photos so who knows what the stone will look like in person. Grading such as A, AA, AAA and etc is not standardized so it will vary from store to store. $3K for a heirloom quality 1 carat ruby doesn't sound right. Such a stone is more likely to be around $10K.

2. Heated can run the gamut from beryllium diffusion (permanent dye) and major flux healing (melt the ruby inclusions close so that it doesn't fall apart). I would want to know the level of heat treatment.

3. I would not want an in-house appraisal (which is what their GIA certified gemmologist is) because there is a strong conflict of interest. I would want an independent 3rd party verification by a well known lab such as AGL and GIA. I trust these two labs, with AGL as my strongly preferred lab, due to their exhaustive experience and access to many high tech equipment to catch the latest treatments. Many local gemmologist do not have the funds to purchase such expensive testing equipment. I would only get the stone appraised after it is set for insurance purposes.

If you'd like assistance, please share your requirements:
1. Pictures of the colour you like
2. Budget
3. Treatment level that is acceptable.
4. Hopefully, shape isn't an issue.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Remember, a heavily treated, beryllium diffused ruby will cost you all of $5 on ebay. For $20 you can get a really big one.

They are "natural" rubies, but they came out of the ground full of fractures, a hideous color (maybe not even red), and loaded with specks and debris. A few years ago, miners would have thrown them away, and they did, by the ton.

But technology has enabled sellers to turn them red, melt the specks inside, and fill the cracks with glass or epoxy.

And no, you can't tell with the naked eye. Only AGL is advanced enough to detect these treatments.

tonyalmeida

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I know she has her heart set on a ruby so have to go with that gemstone. Here's my reply to the list of questions:

1) the color i would like is anything from bright to dark res. As long as theres no pink or very minimal pink tones. 3rd row pic in middle and right --> http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html#thumb

2) my budget is $2k but would push to $2500 if the value is there

3) as for treatment ive learned that filler is a no no. For heat, i guess im ok with any level as long as it doesnt make the ruby look artificial. The lack of real pictures or 3rd party cert were big red flags for me with angara.com glad you all agree.

4) shape would ideally be round. I want to get her a minimalistic style pendant like the one i linked in my firat post. Just a round ruby with a small diamond accent.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mind listing Stock/order number for the Gemfix Ruby? I looked but was quite confused because depending on the monitor setup, your 3rd row could be my 4th row. You mentioned being particular about having little pink. How about an orange modifier? I think what you are looking for (very pure strongly saturated red) could be well outside your budget. What is the mm size you hope to get?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results