shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat Experts - Feral Cat?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'll start by saying I do not currently have this animal, I'm just feeling out the situation to see if it's something I'd even want to undertake.

About a week ago we discovered an adult, intact male cat living in the engine room of one our company's boats. The boat was in the yard for maintenance more than three weeks ago, so we're guessing the animal has been in there since at least Sept. 12th (shocking!) with no access to food or clean water (but I think it's been drinking dirty engine water or it wouldn't have made it this long). Since discovering it we have been able to get it clean water and some food occasionally, but the area where this animal is living is not easily accessible and there are lots of hiding spots that we can't get to. Animal control has come twice and set a trap but no success yet. We are still waiting.

My question specifically is if captured and he checks out medically, could he potentially be a pet? The AC officer said that they can take the animal, check him out, and then if he was okay, I could have him, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Has anyone dealt with a truly feral cat? Behaviorally I'd be concerned that the cat would always be hiding or skittish, and I also have concerns about litterbox training an adult cat that's never used one. I used to work as an animal trainer until recently so I have a good understanding of how to address those issues and make progress, but only if it's truly attainable. I lost my cat of 11 years two weeks ago, so as far as a good serendipitous story, this sure fits the bill, but I want more information as to whether or not it's a good idea.

Thanks!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Is there no way in or out of the engine room? There's no way an animal could survive that long without food or water, so is it possible that it can come and go?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1412621856|3763067 said:
Is there no way in or out of the engine room? There's no way an animal could survive that long without food or water, so is it possible that it can come and go?

No way in or out. However, this is a fishing vessel so we are assuming that maybe some fish bits and scales might be getting down there for it to eat. The animal is definitely thin but doesn't look "3 weeks" thin. As far as water that's where I feel really terrible. All that's down there is salt water or a BIT of a freshwater that's mixed with engine oil.

The more I research the more it's looking like feral adult cats can't ever be made to be pets. If that's so then I am just hopefully they can humanely get the cat out so it doesn't suffer :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonnyjane, I rescued a feral cat and found him a home on a horse rescue farm. He is now (over 2 years later) a happy and healthy barn cat with another cat for company with whom he has made fast friends and he loves the horses too. Please see about getting him safely out of there into a situation where he can thrive and have a happy life . I can give you the contact info of the horse rescue farm. It's in upstate New York so not sure what resources you might have by you but just a thought. Farms like those are great for feral cats because cats and horses get along famously.

Sending you lots of good luck dust for the sweet kitty's rescue!

ETA: He may not be truly feral and in that case might make a great companion to you and your family. You won't know till he is rescued and socialized a bit so you can tell for sure.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
It's my understanding that a feral cat will never truly be a pet. I think he could become a "hangs around the yard, eats food left out for him" kind of pet, but not a "comes indoors and cuddles" kind of animal.

I would call a cat rescue in your area and talk to somebody. You can find the shelters/rescues in your area by searching cat, in your zip code, on petfinder.com.

I saw the most amazing cat at a multi-acre cat sanctuary once. (Your story reminded me of him, so I wanted to share) All the cats lived in giant roofed screen enclosures that held 75-100 cats each, the sanctuary covered 20 acres, and it was in the thick of the woods. It was no kill, so they lived their lives there, hundreds and hundreds of them. But there was one cat that would come to the visitor's center, and he would walk with the people (who were looking to adopt) through all the buildings. No other cat had issues with him, he's trot along, greeting some cats, ignoring others, just like he was in charge of the whole sanctuary and the adoption process. The workers explained that cats are usually very territorial, but that this cat was able to walk through all the territories with no problems. I knew I couldn't adopt him, because he had found his place in the world and he was happy with his life there. He was an awesome little guy, living in a beautiful, safe home.

Good luck with your search for a new companion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will he let you touch him at all? If he does let you pet him, he may not be truly feral.

If he is truly feral.
I would at least try to trap him and get him fixed. Then if he really is very wild, I'd probably arrange to have one these : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049WPZX2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2F10FSKBEKZ8V&coliid=I2XQY100M38I07 Put out for him and just make sure he has food and water regularly.

Or this one if it gets really cold there: http://www.amazon.com/The-Kitty-Tube-Outdoor-Insulated/dp/B00JAUGXC0/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1M8XESWCN1D6VJYG3WDY

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aunt has taken in several truly feral cats. She leaves them outside if they are healthy. But usually when they get injured she brings them in and keeps them.

They do warm up a bit. Usually to ONE person, who they trust. But they don't bond the way domesticated ones do. And they hide a lot and really take a lot of time and care to get to the point where they will trust.

Would I do it? Yes, if the animal was injured. But if the animal is healthy, I spay/neuter, then once they can go back I would return them outside, just give them shelter (links above) and food and water.

Wild animals belong in the wild.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1412624736|3763096 said:
Will he let you touch him at all? If he does let you pet him, he may not be truly feral.

No but we haven't really tried. When we go into the room he hides under the flooring. The boat is still in operation so this kitty has gone on at least 11 overnight fishing trips that we know of. The trap can't sit there while the boat is moving because it would get thrashed around, so our only attempts to trap will have to be when a trip isn't scheduled. There isn't one today so we were going to set the trap again tonight.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1412625027|3763102 said:
My aunt has taken in several truly feral cats. She leaves them outside if they are healthy. But usually when they get injured she brings them in and keeps them.

They do warm up a bit. Usually to ONE person, who they trust. But they don't bond the way domesticated ones do. And they hide a lot and really take a lot of time and care to get to the point where they will trust.

Would I do it? Yes, if the animal was injured. But if the animal is healthy, I spay/neuter, then once they can go back I would return them outside, just give them shelter (links above) and food and water.

I understand what you are saying Gypsy but if a home like one on a horse rescue farm can be found for a feral cat he/she will have a much better and longer life. Blu would not be alive today if not for being rescued and taken in by the horse farm. Feral cats don't live very long in the wild and their quality of life is not all that good. I know every feral cat cannot be rescued and found a suitable home but it is worth a try at least IMO.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I hope LAJennifer weighs in on this. Her cat Wellington was a feral that is now a house cat.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband used to own a hangar out at an airport in a rural town where people seem to dump their cats. It depends if it was born feral or if someone has dumped it or it has run away and been lost. You probably need to either catch it and try and gain it's trust or feed it and see if you can get increasingly close to it to see how tame it is. I've seen both feral cats that never ever really like people but will live outside and just come for food and others that want and like human company that were probably dumped by people and were not true feral cats to begin with. And youngish feral cats that end up liking humans as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1412626317|3763129 said:
Gypsy|1412625027|3763102 said:

I understand what you are saying Gypsy but if a home like one on a horse rescue farm can be found for a feral cat he/she will have a much better and longer life. Blu would not be alive today if not for being rescued and taken in by the horse farm. Feral cats don't live very long in the wild and their quality of life is not all that good. I know every feral cat cannot be rescued and found a suitable home but it is worth a try at least IMO.

Oh totally agree. I'm in an urban area and I never think of solutions like that. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't.

ABSOLUTELY if you can relocate the animal to a safe place and have it STAY there (neutering will help with that) outdoors and be happy, then DO THAT!

BUT keep in mind some cats have amazing GPS. If that cat doesn't want to stay at the new place, it won't and may end up back "home".

But if it's not an option to do that. Or if you do it, and the cat doesn't stay... then something like the shelter I linked to is a good alternative.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1412638237|3763317 said:
My husband used to own a hangar out at an airport in a rural town where people seem to dump their cats. It depends if it was born feral or if someone has dumped it or it has run away and been lost. You probably need to either catch it and try and gain it's trust or feed it and see if you can get increasingly close to it to see how tame it is. I've seen both feral cats that never ever really like people but will live outside and just come for food and others that want and like human company that were probably dumped by people and were not true feral cats to begin with. And youngish feral cats that end up liking humans as well.

Yep, totally agree - this has been my experience as well.

I hope you're able to trap your guest, and sorry for your loss sonnyjane.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Maria D|1412639899|3763336 said:
arkieb1|1412638237|3763317 said:

Yep, totally agree - this has been my experience as well.

I hope you're able to trap your guest, and sorry for your loss sonnyjane.

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I just saw that you lost kitty! I'm so very sorry. Much love and ((HUGS)). Losing a pet is so hard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1412641761|3763354 said:
Oh, I just saw that you lost kitty! I'm so very sorry. Much love and ((HUGS)). Losing a pet is so hard.

I missed that too Sonny. I am so sorry.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I have taken in and raised a couple of ferals, but the oldest was about 18 months old when I took her in. They were all great cats. This cat may not be truly feral-he may have been dumped by his people.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably wouldn't ever be an indoor pet.

With that said, my parents have "adopted" a feral cat (who has adopted them right back). He stays almost exclusively in their yard and around the house, particularly near the front door and the carport. They feed him every morning and night. He's MUCH friendlier than he was two years ago now - now he will let humans within ten feet of him before running, and will even nap with you that close. In order to trap the cat to get it fixed, people say you should feed it on a regular schedule, leave the trap out for a while so the cat gets used to it, skip a day of feeding, and then put the food in the trap the next day. You have to contain the cat prior to surgery and afterwards and then you can let it out again.

My childhood cat had been feral up until he wandered into my elementary school in search of food and got grabbed and taken home by tiny me. But he was less than a year old at the time. He always liked me and my dad but was pretty wild toward other people. He was definitely a cat's cat, you know? I loved him like crazy but I'm unsure of how domesticated he really was...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Ugh...

Still waiting for an update. I didn't work today and the person that was supposed to be meeting with Animal Control hasn't responded to any of my questions which makes me wonder if the outcome wasn't very good (i.e. the cat is no longer alive) and therefore no reply. I'll keep you guys posted for sure. Thank you for your suggestions. To be very frank and honest, I work with some non-animal loving jerks that just want the cat gone through *any means necessary* so I'm already outnumbered in wanting to have it humanely trapped as opposed to their choice - poison.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, poison is an incredibly painful and cruel death.

I'm sending buckets of *dust* to you and this kitty. Poor thing.

As mentioned earlier, I do have a feral named Wellington. We met when he was about a year old. I knew where his shelter was, so I had an advantage as far as the taming process goes. I just took food out there and sat about 20 feet away. I didn't look at him, I didn't interact, I just sat. I spent about 2-3 hours every day doing this. Every day the food bowl would be moved a few inches in my direction. By 3 months in, the food bowl was on my lap and he would put his hands on me to eat (I still couldn't touch him or look him in the eye though). Soon after he touched me with his tale and I was able to pet him after that.

I still had to trap him to get him inside. We have had him 4 years now and he wouldn't go back outside for millions of dollars. Some cats really struggle as a feral (daily fights - having to hunt - cars - mean people). He is living the good life now, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Others that I know with ferals report similar stories.

Having Wellington is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done. The bond between the two of us is the strongest I've ever felt with any other creature (humans included). But he was hard work in the beginning. I nearly lost my mind those first few months. He, however has exceeded all expectations I had of him being a house cat and still continues to surprise me after all this time. He is amazing!

He understands where I took him from and what I've done for him. Because of that he wants to please me. He always does what I ask him to, he is unselfish and follows rules. He is the best house cat I've ever had.

I hope you can get this kitty out of there. If so, take him immediately to the vet to be neutered and vaccinated. And then take it from there.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1412655423|3763452 said:
Oh no, poison is an incredibly painful and cruel death.

I'm sending buckets of *dust* to you and this kitty. Poor thing.

As mentioned earlier, I do have a feral named Wellington. We met when he was about a year old. I knew where his shelter was, so I had an advantage as far as the taming process goes. I just took food out there and sat about 20 feet away. I didn't look at him, I didn't interact, I just sat. I spent about 2-3 hours every day doing this. Every day the food bowl would be moved a few inches in my direction. By 3 months in, the food bowl was on my lap and he would put his hands on me to eat (I still couldn't touch him or look him in the eye though). Soon after he touched me with his tale and I was able to pet him after that.

I still had to trap him to get him inside. We have had him 4 years now and he wouldn't go back outside for millions of dollars. Some cats really struggle as a feral (daily fights - having to hunt - cars - mean people). He is living the good life now, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Others that I know with ferals report similar stories.

Having Wellington is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done. The bond between the two of us is the strongest I've ever felt with any other creature (humans included). But he was hard work in the beginning. I nearly lost my mind those first few months. He, however has exceeded all expectations I had of him being a house cat and still continues to surprise me after all this time. He is amazing!

He understands where I took him from and what I've done for him. Because of that he wants to please me. He always does what I ask him to, he is unselfish and follows rules. He is the best house cat I've ever had.

I hope you can get this kitty out of there. If so, take him immediately to the vet to be neutered and vaccinated. And then take it from there.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have trained birds similarly, sounds like your hard work paid off!

At minimum I'm just hoping we can get it trapped before my idiot associates do something horrible. I'd at least rather he be put down humanely than their plan. I'm the "tree-hugger" in their eyes so they don't take me or my concerns seriously. They were already mad that food and water were provided for him. I told them it was the animal control officer (even though it was really me) so that they would leave it there. I don't work on that particular boat so I don't have very much say :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree poison is terrible cruel way to die. We used to trap the ones at the hangar and try and re-home as many as we could and there was also an airport cat called the airport cat that was a ginger tom who everyone fed who lived between all the hangars and belonged to everyone....

You should ask them what they are using as bait, some things smell so much more attractive to cats that others, we used to experiment with a range of things to see which one the airport cats liked the best.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer, it's been 4 years already? Wow, time flies! i remember reading your thread about Wellington. I'm happy it's worked out so well.

Sonnyjane, I don't have advice but I hope the cat is safe and treated well if he is eventually caught. Good luck!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this cat was not poisoned. There was a stray cat who used to come around our old house in the winter and look for food, feral but harmless. Someone poisoned it with antifreeze which had to have been horrible for the poor cat. Thank you for caring and making an effort on behalf of a being that can't defend itself.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm happy to report that the cat has been trapped. They posted a Facebook video. Based on his behavior in the crate I'm fairly positive he is a completely wild cat. Unfortunately I don't know any other details. At least it was trapped and can be dealt with in a humane fashion.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
woohoo! Great news sonnyjane!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope they don't put it down. I hope they just run some tests, neuter it, and release it into a feral colony somewhere safe.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1412739108|3764066 said:
I hope they don't put it down. I hope they just run some tests, neuter it, and release it into a feral colony somewhere safe.

This.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1412739108|3764066 said:

Unfortunately when I asked the officer last week when she dropped off the trap, she told me that if the animal was completely feral they would have to put it down. I think I'll call tomorrow to see if I can get an update with them directly and tell them that if the animal has any chance I'd be willing to take it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know any farmers? Feral cats can make great farm cats ie they get rid of snakes rats and mice and come for food but don't have to be really close to humans all the time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results