shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good opal?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about opals, but the seller claims that this is natural. It is surrounded by single cut stones, which I love, but I have no idea if the stone is natural and if that is why is is very lackluster and almost too opaque. image_2353.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a regular white opal to me, and it's hard to judge the fire in your photo.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TL and Elvis - that it looks like a white opal with (potentially) good colour but the photo isn't taken to show off the opal.

Are you able to take a photo concentrating on showing the colour of the opal and not worry if the diamonds are sparkling or not?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe the seller could make a video for you?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a video and the pic is very accurate who his why I'm puzzled. It looks Iike a very dull stone when compared to a synthetic opal. I don't know if that is what natural opals look like. Opaque and dull whiteness with flashes of color that are very subtle and subdued.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be that you would prefer black opals? They are more vibrant and lively IMO than white opals with red/orange being very desired colors and blue/green being pretty. The dark background makes them more fiery and more full of life with color flashes than white opals and their muted colors. Of course it is personal preference.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1412423546|3761928 said:
I got a video and the pic is very accurate who his why I'm puzzled. It looks Iike a very dull stone when compared to a synthetic opal. I don't know if that is what natural opals look like. Opaque and dull whiteness with flashes of color that are very subtle and subdued.

No, THAT is NOT a good opal, even for a white opal. I've seen white opals with lovely flashes of color.

There are good and bad opals in all the various kinds, black included.

Colorplay, and the intensity of that colorplay, as well as varying colors, and the pattern, are part of the aspects to what defines a good opal.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Also look at the depth of color. Very fine opals have flashes of color all the way to the top of the stone, no mask. Play of color at all angles and all lighting situations is also good.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few things you need to now about opal:

1. The extent of colour-play is a determining factor in value (and in looking good).
2. White opals are typically the cheapest of them all.
3. A "natural" opal can still be a doublet or triplet (which devalues them immensely). You need to make sure you ask the question.
4. It can be very difficult to determine a synthetic from a natural opal especially if it's set in jewellery.
5. Opals with distinct patterns (rolling flashes, harlequin, honeycomb) etc are more valuable
6. Generally speaking opals that mostly show blues and greens are the cheaper opals. Most sought after colours are purple and reds.
7. A good opal will show colourplay in all lighting conditions.

It's a pretty ring but in terms of value, it shouldn't be expensive. Have a search for Mintabie Jelly Opals - if you like the look of the white opal you will probably love the Mintabies. Let me know if you want to see pictures of some and I'll post mine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1412443726|3762032 said:
A few things you need to now about opal:

1. The extent of colour-play is a determining factor in value (and in looking good).
2. White opals are typically the cheapest of them all.
3. A "natural" opal can still be a doublet or triplet (which devalues them immensely). You need to make sure you ask the question.
4. It can be very difficult to determine a synthetic from a natural opal especially if it's set in jewellery.
5. Opals with distinct patterns (rolling flashes, harlequin, honeycomb) etc are more valuable
6. Generally speaking opals that mostly show blues and greens are the cheaper opals. Most sought after colours are purple and reds.
7. A good opal will show colourplay in all lighting conditions.

It's a pretty ring but in terms of value, it shouldn't be expensive. Have a search for Mintabie Jelly Opals - if you like the look of the white opal you will probably love the Mintabies. Let me know if you want to see pictures of some and I'll post mine.

Great summarization. I for one would love to see your opals LD. I'm kind of looking for an opal myself for an empty setting I have.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
ElvisPrasiolite|1412446326|3762061 said:
Again, opals are very hard to photograph. I've had amazing opals, that just wouldn't take to film, that didn't look much different than this picture, for color. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to photograph them right. I still think this Opal may be a stunner. If they have a return policy, buy it. You don't like it, send it back. Easy.[/quote]

I think too it could be a nice opal - maybe ( two strong reflections in the middle and top left of the stone) the light source was to strong.

If I zoom the pic on my ipad I see many color patches.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask for more pictures before deciding. I doubt that this is a professional vendor (because of the photo) - this is probably a private individual and therefore difficult to return perhaps.

OP you should be armed with questions now! Ask for a few more photos and if you still like it then get it. The worst that can happen is you hate it and have to sell it on - BUT BE CAREFUL - because if the asking price is high, you may struggle to sell it on without losing money.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
This is my 20x14 (I think) opal. This was taken by north window light at 4:20 pm on a partly cloudy day. As you can see, even in this diffused light the color play really pops. Yellow is also a color to look for.

_22964.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
This is a beautiful quality... no wonder that even in low light condition it looks like this....

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Synthetic opals are made to be as flashy and colourful as possible. Most of them, to me, register as garish and overblown. I can see that a decent commercial quality opal would seem disappointing in comparison, just as an ordinary sapphire may not seem as saturated and clean as a synthetic. Of course, when you compare a great sapphire or good quality opal to the synthetic, the difference becomes obvious.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
ElvisPrasiolite|1412446326|3762061 said:
Again, opals are very hard to photograph. I've had amazing opals, that just wouldn't take to film, that didn't look much different than this picture, for color. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to photograph them right. I still think this Opal may be a stunner. If they have a return policy, buy it. You don't like it, send it back. Easy.
I would agree with this.

In fact it looks like a pinfire light opal to me from that one poor photo and they can be very beautiful.

Here's a sort of Opal101 overview http://geology.com/gemstones/opal/#white

Body tone chart explanation

The black opal (below) is to be found here http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/investment-opal/item-36278 (scroll down).

The milky opal (below) is to be found here http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/ethiopian-opals/item-383313

See pictures of created opal here

I guess the other thing to point out is that it looks like quite a well made ring.
Do you have a link to the video?

opal-black-pinfire-oz.png

opal-pinfire-milky-white-ethiopian.png

opal-body-tone-chart-opalgemsoutletcom.gif

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Sunlight.

Sorry, hideous picture.

_22974.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't thank all of you enough for your input. The price of the ring is 500 dollars and it is a final sale. I know that the setting alone is probably worth that but in guess I hesitate bc I don't want to have to reset a big stone in it. So is 500 dollars a fair price as is?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Which gold and the weight of the diamonds?? 18 stones - 0,36ct or 0,45 ct or 0,54 ct ???

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1412522984|3762471 said:
Which gold and the weight of the diamonds?? 18 stones - 0,36ct or 0,45 ct or 0,54 ct ???

It is 14k yellow gold. The diamonds are single cut .25 carat

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1412522591|3762467 said:
I can't thank all of you enough for your input. The price of the ring is 500 dollars and it is a final sale. I know that the setting alone is probably worth that but in guess I hesitate bc I don't want to have to reset a big stone in it. So is 500 dollars a fair price as is?

$500 is a fair price, but that's $500 less that you have to spend on something you really love. It doesn't sound like you're too enthused about this piece, and it might be worth the risk if you had a return period, but if not, you're taking a risk.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As it's a final sale, offer $400. The setting is worth that if the diamonds are decent and if the Opal is good then that's a bonus.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sunlight.

Sorry, hideous picture.
Soberguy - opals should be judged in daylight and blurry or not that picture shows what stunning colour your opal has - just lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results