shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to get rid of some excess gold

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
ring_string__2_.jpg

at the four corners where the split shank meets the halo, there are these little bits of excess metal.. I keep staring at them and obviously it irritates me like crazy. is it possible to just remove that little bit of excess without huge changes to the ring?

you can see it a bit in the photo, especially with the bottom right hand shank!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think so. The problem is that the diamonds haven't been spaced correctly (or the correct size diamonds used) which has caused a space at (presumably) all four corners. The only way around this is to cut the shank in those areas and rejoin them but I would think this would be quite costly and I'm not sure whether it could even be done. Even if it could, the integrity of the diamonds would almost certainly be compromised. I doubt very much whether anybody will want to attempt such a repair.

Can you take it back to the maker and ask them if they can do it or provide you with a different setting?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Is this a new setting? If so, take it back & ask for it to be fixed -- probably replaced. Not the best work -- the spaces aren't even the same sizes so it would be possible to pretend they were planned that way. Nice stone, though -- love the color.

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would ask the original vendor who made the ring for you.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even if you remove the extra material (which would probably seriously weaken the halo), you would left with irregularly spaced diamonds and an unsightly little gap at that point.

It may be just a result of the photo, but the diamonds seem to have been set crooked and are not lining up right.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Is this a new setting? If so, take it back & ask for it to be fixed -- probably replaced. Not the best work -- the spaces aren't even the same sizes so it would be possible to pretend they were planned that way. Nice stone, though -- love the color.

--- Laurie

Not a new setting! I've never done this before - we've had the ring for a year now, and is it normal to go back to the jeweler? Do I expect to pay for it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier because pictures were all blacked out on my phone. Given that one year has passed, it is unlikely the jeweller will absorb the cost of a new setting. Unfortunately, to fix the gaps, the ring must be remade because the jeweller has to size the stones correctly and space them evenly. To remove the gaps as is will seriously weaken the ring.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono! sigh, I was really hoping you guys would have a solution.

Can they polish some of it away? Like on the equivalent of a buffing machine? I'm not so bothered by any imperfection on the halo, it's not so obvious when wearing, and in general it's ok. It's just that bit at the shank! It looks like they just used too much gold to 'glue' the halo to the shank.

To be fair, it's not a terrible thing, and I think this counts very much as my learner piece of jewelry - but it also happens to be an e-ring I wear everyday so i see that little bit more metal. I think if it were plated, you wouldn't quite notice it, but the unplated wg does stand out next to the diamonds.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it can't be buffed away. If you buff it away, you'll have holes. What your jeweller MIGHT be able to do is put tiny baguettes in there to fill the holes OR tiny round diamonds BUT it's unlikely as there's very little room to manoeuvre. You also need prongs to hold the stones. Unfortunately after a year I don't think you have any recourse with the jeweller.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, Sonya, I don't think the metal can be safely buffed away. For your ease of mind, you can ask your original jeweller just in case there's something we missed.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
thanks to all you ladies. I have one more question for you: is my current setting worth anything, in terms of trade-in value? that might not be the best way to phrase it, but do jewelers take in existing settings like this and remake/ reuse? I'vegot cute little single cuts in the halo, and I love the look of the ring, but just want it more well-made.

I ddon'twant to waste money we spent on this setting, and it's not a dealbreaker, thankfully. it's cute enough for meto take it as rrustic handmade :p

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonyachancs|1412634950|3763256 said:
thanks to all you ladies. I have one more question for you: is my current setting worth anything, in terms of trade-in value? that might not be the best way to phrase it, but do jewelers take in existing settings like this and remake/ reuse? I'vegot cute little single cuts in the halo, and I love the look of the ring, but just want it more well-made.

I ddon'twant to waste money we spent on this setting, and it's not a dealbreaker, thankfully. it's cute enough for meto take it as rrustic handmade :p
Probably not, but if you take it back to the original seller, might as well ask. They will probably give you melt value for the metal though. On the secondhand market....it depends on a lot of factors. Keep in mind it was custom made specifically your stone. So it might sit there for a while. Typically, settings, unless they are popular stock items/made by specific people or manufacturers/fit common dimensions will sell on the secondhand market for +/- 50% of the original price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonya,
I'm with Freke on this one. Most jewellers will not accept a trade-in of settings; they will only give you the gold value and will melt the ring down. If it's not a deal breaker, you are better off financially keeping it. You will take a fairly large loss on the secondhand market as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results