shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for white metallic strand

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the world of pearls, but looking at these threads makes me want to get them all!
I'm considering getting a strand of white metallics, and I'm seeing price differences among different online vendors. As I can't really compare them in person, I was wondering if anyone could advise me.
Looking at PP, for instance, a 8.5-9.5mm 18 inch strand, AAA quality, would be (it's now out of stock) $570. The prices are $410 at PoJ and $567 at Purepearls, for a 8.5-9.0mm 18 inch strand, AAA.
First of all, would PP's be larger pearls, being 8.5-9.5mm rather than 8.5-9.0mm? Should I expect any other differences?
Finally, should I go for matching stud or drop earrings? I'm thinking drops, because my hair is long and often covers studs, but I'm not sure if the drops would sort of clash with the round shape of the necklace pearls.
Thank you very much!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
a small difference in size can make quite a difference in price. Consider also the price of gold and other precious metals so how much metal is in the clasp will also make a difference
Always better to get earrings at the same time if you can and want a match. You would not believe how many shades of white there are - I spent hours matching white rounds in HK at the start of the month (really, yes, hours. My eyes were cartoon whirly -whirly by the time I'd finished)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1412194479|3760082 said:
a small difference in size can make quite a difference in price. Consider also the price of gold and other precious metals so how much metal is in the clasp will also make a difference
Always better to get earrings at the same time if you can and want a match. You would not believe how many shades of white there are - I spent hours matching white rounds in HK at the start of the month (really, yes, hours. My eyes were cartoon whirly -whirly by the time I'd finished)

Thanks Pearlescence! You're right, the clasps might be a bit different in terms of gold amount. I was also just thinking if they got the strands at different times/prices, it would be natural to sell them at somewhat different prices, even if they were fairly similar (clasp etc.). I guess my impulse would be to go for the pricier one, thinking it's better quality, but that's not necessarily the case.

And very good point about getting the earrings at the same time. I guess I should contact the vendor to get them to match strand and earrings. Right now I'm thinking dangle drops in lever back style.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1412211812|3760272 said:
Not sure you saw Pearls of Joy's recent blog post with metallic FW strand pics... gosh, so gorgeous! http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Sept-2014-Hong-Kong-Gem-Show--Day-4_b_75.html

Ohhh very nice! What lovely colours and lustre! Thank you marymm for bringing it to my attention. Humm, so it may be wise to wait until the new strands and earrings are posted by vendors -- it might be easier to get a good match strand/earrings. Then again, I have heard PP has a sale at the end of the month -- of course, they might not have metallic strands in that sale...

Anyway thanks again, I really appreciate the help navigating the pearl world!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Tucs -- welcome!

PP has a different "special" every month, and periodic sales on the whole website.

I have a triple strand of white metallics and I wear white metallic drop earrings with the necklace. I think it's a complimentary look without being too matchy-matchy.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1412216997|3760316 said:
Tucs -- welcome!

PP has a different "special" every month, and periodic sales on the whole website.

I have a triple strand of white metallics and I wear white metallic drop earrings with the necklace. I think it's a complimentary look without being too matchy-matchy.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Thanks bsomlo! I will keep it in mind in picking earrings. And by the way, I have just seen your triple strand in a thread that came up on the RHS of the screen. WOW! Absolutely gorgeous!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't matter that the shape is different. I have white metallic studs as well as drops, but often as not I'll wear the drops with my strand.

The white metallics look amazing in all kinds of light. The only thing to remember is that not having a bead inside, these are just a little off-round. It doesn't bother me, but some ladies don't like the look. When you have them on your neck, they actually look rounder than when they are lying on a table being photographed.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very true bsomio. A person would have to have an expert eye and get close enough to be arrested to spot the difference between nearly round and perfect round when on your neck. Even when the pearls are quite egg-ish they will look pretty much round - because that is what the eye expects to see. Round to the eye when being worn and round as in eight way roller (when the pearl is as round as a machined ball bearing and rolls true in eight directions) are hugely different in price (and rightly so, especially for all nacre pearls) but not that much different in wear-look
(Nor will roundness perfection much affect second hand value since most buyers wouldn't have much of a clue about perfect roundness)
It seems to me that perfect roundness is higher up the list of quality wants in America compared to Europe. Lustre is much more important here.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oops - don't know where my brain was yesterday when I posted the blog link above - I woke up this morning at 4am thinking "but it is against Forum rules to post links to outside blogs!" Anyway, I just self-reported to the mods. Sorry everyone.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you pearlsngems and pearlescence for your comments. I will keep them in mind. I do find I used to look more at roundness, and lately I look more for lustre.
What sort of overtones are possible with white metallics? I'm thinking once I order I should have an idea. I have read about silver and rose overtones, are there any more? I have a feeling silver may work better for me, but I really don't know. My skin is fair but too pale -- I get a bit of a sun tan during the summer, but it's more of a "golden tan", if you know what I mean. I think my skin has a bit of pink/redness in it, but not a lot. Dark brown hair and green eyes.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Tucs, the overtones are pink/rose, silver and ivory. If placed next to each other you can really notice a difference. But on one's neck they all look "white". My white triple metallics supposedly have an ivory overtone, but to me they look white white!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine have a blue/green overtone and I love it. It makes them look very white against my skin compared with other pearls I own.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
There may be many reasons the PP pearls are more. Size, Quality, Clasp. Quality? They are all AAA? There are no standards universally recognized in grading pearls so every seller rates their pearls as they wish. If you brought in all three strands from the sellers of these pearls in your post, all rated AAA, you will see the differences in quality. Perhaps you will order them and let us know what you discover.

I have a strand from PP I got a few years ago when Jeremy brought them in for the first time. Mine were set next to a strand of hanadama akoya's at PP and they were extremely close. I like these pretty pearls better than my akoya strand and white freshwater. Mine have a green overtone. Last year I bought a rope of cream metallic and two earring grade white metallic with a strong green overtone for matching dangle earrings to my white strand. These pearls are amazing.

Hanadama with clasp, my strand next to it.

_22933.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A gold blush is also possible, and very attractive

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I guess if they are all going to look white white then I shouldn't worry too much -- thanks Bsomlo.

Perhaps I will just try to avoid rose overtones now, as I would like to get a strand of akoyas at some point, and I'm thinking of rose overtones for those :)

Thanks for the photo NacreLover -- those look amazing. So beautiful!

OK, I'm going to see if I can get a nice strand in a few weeks. Thanks everyone for your help!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kevin Canning at Pearls of Joy is posting some of the metallic freshwater strands that he picked up at the recent HK show. I just nabbed a pair of white metallic 8-8.5 mm studs for myself, and I got the first pair off of the card. Do a search on "Metallic freshwater" and you can do an on-line chat if you have questions.

It looks like there are white strands and colored strands available.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1412806102|3764495 said:
Kevin Canning at Pearls of Joy is posting some of the metallic freshwater strands that he picked up at the recent HK show. I just nabbed a pair of white metallic 8-8.5 mm studs for myself, and I got the first pair off of the card. Do a search on "Metallic freshwater" and you can do an on-line chat if you have questions.

It looks like there are white strands and colored strands available.

Hello Fly Girl, and thank you very much! I actually happened to email Pearls of Joy this morning to inquire about 8.5-9.0mm AAA white metallic strands and Kevin emailed me back right away saying the 8.5-9.0mm white metallic strands he has are "off round to oval shaped, not round". I am looking for something more roundish, so I will pass. Thank you so much letting me know, though -- I didn't know those were new strands; I just had noticed some were listed on his website.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I found it! I just ordered a white metallic strand (AAA, 8.5-9.0mm) from Pure Pearls, they have a special this month, too, so that's was great.

Following the advice received I also ordered matching 9-10mm earrings. I was sure which setting to have them in, as I like dangles but I also like stud backs. So I'm having these set in a diamond stud-dangle setting. I have long hair and simple studs usually don't show much. Ashley was very helpful during the process, and I look forward to getting strand and earrings.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs - I'm glad your search is over and I look forward to pictures!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks pkinnew! I'm hoping it gets here soon; I will definitely post photos.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
The metallic strand and earrings just arrived! The pearls in the strand don't look perfectly round if I look at them closely, but they look round when worn and the luster is great. I'm very happy with it. Here is a photo, I don't have good photos of the earrings yet (how do people do that?!).

_23310.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs - Those pearls look perfect on you! The classic strand that I know you'll wear a lot. Congratulations!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
It looks just perfect on you! Nice size, great luster and the perfect length. And this strand will go with absolutely everything for sure!

Enjoy and wear in health!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks pkinnew and bsomlo! Actually, the photo I posted (sideways again! what am I doing wrong??) is pretty bad, I will try to capture it better later (I can see you PSers are very talented with neck and ear shots, it's not as easy as it seems!).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Tucs|1413566885|3768648 said:
Thanks pkinnew and bsomlo! Actually, the photo I posted (sideways again! what am I doing wrong??) is pretty bad, I will try to capture it better later (I can see you PSers are very talented with neck and ear shots, it's not as easy as it seems!).
Tucs - Pretty pearls. With regards to the sideways question, take your original photo holding the camera horizontal, rather than vertical. Technology is getting too smart for itself. :wacko:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This looks beautiful on you! :appl:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rotated your photo-- they look great!

tucs_s_white_metallics.jpg

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! Enjoy :wavey:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the compliments Fly Girl, EvangelineG, Pearlsngems, Confection10 and ckrickett -- and for rotating the photo.

And thanks for the tip, Fly Girl -- I will take photos holding my phone horizontally next time :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results