shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel thoughts please

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you pull the trigger, can you ask the vendor whether the spinel blacks out? I have the most phenomenal stop red spinel but in daylight it becomes a black hole.

Here's some photos to show you.

spinel_montage_0.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1412326561|3761213 said:
Given that this is a secondhand stone, I presume the sale is final regardless of outcome and that you bear the responsibility of sending the spinel to AGL?

I don't know were Matt_95 lives but here in Germany I could return the stone if it is synthetic and sold as natural - return policy if you don't like it - o.k.!! But if Matt_95 send it to AGL and it comes back as synthetic the seller has a problem!! Or is your law different?

So there is no risk imo.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Given that this is a secondhand stone, I presume the sale is final regardless of outcome and that you bear the responsibility of sending the spinel to AGL?
I haven't discussed this with the seller but that's how I assumed it would work.

Marlow said:
http://www.ssef.ch/fileadmin/Documents/PDF/650_Presentations/HK2010March_Spinel.pdf

This is interesting for - about natural spinel, sources and synthetic, treatment...
Thanks for that, a very interesting read. Is much of the Tanzanian spinel around from that large 50+kg red spinel?

LD said:
Before you pull the trigger, can you ask the vendor whether the spinel blacks out? I have the most phenomenal stop red spinel but in daylight it becomes a black hole.

Here's some photos to show you.

I've just asked now, the photos show it doesn't black out in sunlight but perhaps other lighting situations make it black out. Thanks for the photos.

Marlow said:

I don't know were Matt_95 lives but here in Germany I could return the stone if it is synthetic and sold as natural - return policy if you don't like it - o.k.!! But if Matt_95 send it to AGL and it comes back as synthetic the seller has a problem!! Or is your law different?

So there is no risk imo.

We have similar laws here, but for such a cheap stone I don't think it's worth the effort of sending it back. If it comes back as synthetic, it's still a very. I've stone and I'm sure someone in my family would appreciate it in a cheap setting. My sister loves synthetic gems so it could make a nice Christmas present. :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure you need another christmas present!!

Please post more pics here....

The large chrystal - check Multicolorgems - there is the story....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1412327526|3761221 said:

So there is no risk imo.

Unfortunately it's difficult to enforce this type of legislation if the seller doesn't want to play fair (and you won't always know that until there's a problem).

The one good thing about paying by Paypal is that they will often refund the purchaser if they can prove their case that the item was misrepresented. I have had 2 claims in my favour where I was sold something that wasn't correct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results