shape
carat
color
clarity

Neon Mahenge Spinel...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Stumbled across this stone and was shocked by the color.

2867_0.jpg

At a little over 1 carat and priced at a little over $1000 is this a good deal? From what I can gather it's a good deal. I feel compelled to jump on it, somebody talk me out of it. :errrr:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The picture looks suspiciously fantastic! I expect a huge amount of amped vibrance and saturation. Is the vendor known to be reliable?

also dimensions are lacking, do you have them? do they imply a window? What is the depth%? And bear in mind there have been quite a few reports in the last few weeks of spinel being treated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And lots of synthetic spinel too.

The photo may also have been amped up for color.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If it is a natural Mahenge spinel ... and this IS the real color .....

It is very beautiful and a round is a bit higher price per carat. i would not sell a piece like this cheaper.

But here you need an AGL certificate imo. The times are gone - it is possible that they salted a rough parcel - so synthetic spinel mixed with natural rough.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
To play devil's advocate, I have pics of a smaller mahenge of mine(@5.3 mm and .7 cts) that appears to be similar to yours in cut and saturation. Mine came from Jaimeen and he said that it's the most saturated mahenge he's ever seen in that smaller size. And it looks (or can look) quite similar to the one you've posted. And these are my own pics, that have no adjustments made.

So it's quite possible it's the real deal, and priced at @1000 a ct seems a fair price to me if not a better than fair (pricing is all over the place lately though!). Just make sure the return policy is valid and hopefully it's a trusted vendor.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As always you will need to see the stone at hand and observe it in all lighting conditions. Neon Mahenge spinels will glow even in low lighting. Your eyes will be a better judge than a photograph or video.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the vendor, and I think he amps up the saturation on his photos from what I've seen. Just make sure you have a good return policy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also familiar with the vendor. He photoshops but since he has a decent return policy, you can always order it, and decide whether you still like how it looks in person.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your input. I only have the outside diameter of the stone which is slightly over 6mm. I sent him an email asking for a handshot and if he could get an AGL brief report.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1412227948|3760407 said:
I know the vendor, and I think he amps up the saturation on his photos from what I've seen. Just make sure you have a good return policy.

I can confirm this as well.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
TL said:

Chrono said:
I am also familiar with the vendor. He photoshops but since he has a decent return policy, you can always order it, and decide whether you still like how it looks in person.

I had actually considered this stone but passed on it for the above reasons and kept looking. Just to help you out, another PS'er was considering it and posted some additional pics of this particular stone in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-on-a-mission-to-find-a-hot-pink-mehenge-spinel.200041/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-on-a-mission-to-find-a-hot-pink-mehenge-spinel.200041/[/URL]

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
sparkleismyfavcolor|1412274267|3760715 said:
TL said:

Chrono said:

I had actually considered this stone but passed on it for the above reasons and kept looking. Just to help you out, another PS'er was considering it and posted some additional pics of this particular stone in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-on-a-mission-to-find-a-hot-pink-mehenge-spinel.200041/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/still-on-a-mission-to-find-a-hot-pink-mehenge-spinel.200041/[/URL]
Thank you for that! I thought the stone looked familiar. I see why they went with the Burmese oval over the round. I was fairly certain that round had some orange in it from the picture I posted but the additional pictures reveal much more orange than I'd care to deal with. Thanks again for the link, you saved me a lot of hassle. :wavey:

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
No problem, I'm glad to help! :bigsmile:
This is why I just love PS so much.
Good luck on your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results