shape
carat
color
clarity

Well crap. I think I've "crossed over".

April20

Ideal_Rock
I went to return some items in a department store this afternoon. The clerk was a youngish guy- maybe early 20s? At any rate, in the course of conversation, he basically indicated that he viewed me as a generation older than him. Granted, he DID NOT come out and say this, but it was definitely clear that he viewed me as an "older woman" type of deal. He definitely did not mean any disrespect, but it made me go, "well damn. I think I've crossed some imaginary line". I'm 37. I think I still look young. Obviously, I am delusional!!

Seriously, my bubble is burst.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sliding downhill to our graves ain't that bad.
Pour yourself a glass of wine.

Cheers. :bigsmile:

April20

Ideal_Rock
My husband brought me a long island iced tea a bit ago. I'm considering it therapy!!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
A few years back I was in a store and heard a Madonna song and I mentioned to the cashier that it was a "retro classic". He said he didn't know who it was... I said," its Madonna"- he said, "who?"... I said, "Madonna, this was her first song from the late 80's"... he then responded... "I wasn't born until 1992, no clue what you are talking about".... ouch. First time I felt as you described - a feeling that stuck with me and a moment that I remember 'till this day. I'm not a big Madonna fan btw- but really, c'mon... she was such an icon during the 90's (and still now).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha. I recently had a conversation with a new hire at work about mailing address labels and referenced Seinfeld episode about the labels falling off. The person basically looked at me as if I were a dinosaur :lol:. He said he "heard about Seinfeld" and I started laughing because I watched when it was new.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most young guys in their 20s view all women around 35 and over as "old."

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sucks! But I know how you feel April20.

arkieb1 - if I ever happen to meet the 40 something divorcee my DH "dated" (very loosely termed) when he was 21 I will kiss her fully on the mouth! Sorry to drop this thread in the gutter but it is relevant to your post. More 20's young men should do it. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I remember it well ;-) Dont worry about it. You are still young. It probably wont happen again for a while. At least thats
how it happened to me. Then it started happening more and more often. And well, I think I still look good even if I am older
and thats what counts :cheeky: !

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1412209177|3760242 said:

arkieb1 - if I ever happen to meet the 40 something divorcee my DH "dated" (very loosely termed) when he was 21 I will kiss her fully on the mouth! Sorry to drop this thread in the gutter but it is relevant to your post. More 20's young men should do it. :lol:

I agree, but then again I had one 18 year old and one 19 year old German backpackers staying at my house who used to tell me all women over 30 looked really old to them, so I guess age is a relative concept.

Perhaps the 40 something lady your DH dated had plenty of work done in all the right areas :lol: either that or you know the rumours about the hormones of 40 year old women which are supposed to be the equivalent of a 18 to 20 year old guy (I am in my early to mid 40s so this is being said cheekily not nastily....) ;-)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the "over the hill" thread?... :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

:) That is an awesome comment!

I have definitely crossed over. I now pick up a coffee at a drive through and the experience is very different. The person will smile widely and speak slowly and say, "You have a nice day ma'am" in a lovely, patronizing voice.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she had nipped and tucked that is true. :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, you guys are really making me feel OLD. :errrr:

Yes, hubby gets the senior discount at certain dining establishments.

Although retired, at least I'm not old enough to draw from my IRAs/401K yet :lol:

My father just became a great-grandfather for the second time yesterday.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1412210504|3760257 said:

:) That is an awesome comment!

I have definitely crossed over. I now pick up a coffee at a drive through and the experience is very different. The person will smile widely and speak slowly and say, "You have a nice day ma'am" in a lovely, patronizing voice.

Too funny! I know exactly what you are talking about Moneymeiser. Just have another drink April20. When you wake up tomorrow tell yourself it was only a nightmare!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel so old when I talk about music, movies and TV shows with some of my younger co-workers.
I was so disappointed when my recent comments about the Captain and Tenille fell on the deaf ears of youngsters.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1412212994|3760284 said:
I feel so old when I talk about music, movies and TV shows with some of my younger co-workers.
I was so disappointed when my recent comments about the Captain and Tenille fell on the deaf ears of youngsters.
Love will keep us together.. :wink2: summer of 75?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
facetgirl|1412206227|3760214 said:
A few years back I was in a store and heard a Madonna song and I mentioned to the cashier that it was a "retro classic". He said he didn't know who it was... I said," its Madonna"- he said, "who?"... I said, "Madonna, this was her first song from the late 80's"... he then responded... "I wasn't born until 1992, no clue what you are talking about".... ouch. First time I felt as you described - a feeling that stuck with me and a moment that I remember 'till this day. I'm not a big Madonna fan btw- but really, c'mon... she was such an icon during the 90's (and still now).
You should have said..."Like a virgin".. :wink2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is hilarious! April20, I have a couple stories to share, which will demonstrate that age is truly in the eye of the beholder (or, beer holder.)

1. Last year we attended an annual get-together at the home of friends who are in their 60's. They're grandparents, and recent or soon-to-be retirees. Their friends range in age from those in their early 30s to those in their late 70s. While playing a game of "bags" (that game where you throw small beanbags across the lawn onto or into a slanted wooden box thing with a hole in the upper portion) with a couple who was in their 70s, the male counterpart (whose ass I was kicking, mind you) made some comment about me being "middle aged." I was astonished, and his wife, who was playing on his team but was 2 feet away from me, said, "well, how old ARE you?" I answered, "I'm only 36!" She said, "well, duh...THAT'S middle-aged!" :oops: I disagreed politely and my partner and I went on to win the game (she was also less than 40.) We see that couple frequently. They own several newspapers in the area and he is prominent in the political scene. I have a good chuckle every time we see them because of his comment/that he is kind of a blowhard/his wife is super sweet but very old school.

2. I did a temp job with a bunch of college students here in town over the summer. No less than three times, I was asked or comments were made by these lovely young ladies: "So what are you studying?" "What complex do you live in?" "You're in grad school, right?" or something similar. :lol: I could've kissed each one of them.

Just goes to show that whatever your idea of youth or middle age or old age is doesn't match everyone else's, and age really is relative and all about how you perceive it yourself. I'm with you, though. I had not yet thought of myself as "middle-aged." Not by a long shot! Apparently some older folks think that once you're past 35, you're over the hill now...??? I'm just getting warmed up!

My mom is 71, soon to be 72. She is the youngest-acting, most youthful-sounding woman I know in her age range. She has lovely short white hair, sometimes wears flashy wigs, loves fashion, and gets around like a 20 year old when she's out running errands, and she has men hitting on her all the time which just KILLS her (but I think privately she LOVES it.) She's a stitch. I want to be just like her when I grow up. :wavey:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh! I will be so upset when I start looking my age. I probably get too much pleasure at looking younger than I am. Though I remember HATING it when I was young. My mom looks amazing for my age so I guess I hope it never catches up. I did have a patient the other day that said I am am not a day over 37 but no younger than 28 :confused: Seems like kinda a large age range there!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
50 is the new 40.....seriously.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1412215892|3760308 said:
This thread is hilarious! April20, I have a couple stories to share, which will demonstrate that age is truly in the eye of the beholder (or, beer holder.)

1. Last year we attended an annual get-together at the home of friends who are in their 60's. They're grandparents, and recent or soon-to-be retirees. Their friends range in age from those in their early 30s to those in their late 70s. While playing a game of "bags" (that game where you throw small beanbags across the lawn onto or into a slanted wooden box thing with a hole in the upper portion) with a couple who was in their 70s, the male counterpart (whose a$$ I was kicking, mind you) made some comment about me being "middle aged." I was astonished, and his wife, who was playing on his team but was 2 feet away from me, said, "well, how old ARE you?" I answered, "I'm only 36!" She said, "well, duh...THAT'S middle-aged!" :oops: I disagreed politely and my partner and I went on to win the game (she was also less than 40.) We see that couple frequently. They own several newspapers in the area and he is prominent in the political scene. I have a good chuckle every time we see them because of his comment/that he is kind of a blowhard/his wife is super sweet but very old school.

2. I did a temp job with a bunch of college students here in town over the summer. No less than three times, I was asked or comments were made by these lovely young ladies: "So what are you studying?" "What complex do you live in?" "You're in grad school, right?" or something similar. :lol: I could've kissed each one of them.

Just goes to show that whatever your idea of youth or middle age or old age is doesn't match everyone else's, and age really is relative and all about how you perceive it yourself. I'm with you, though. I had not yet thought of myself as "middle-aged." Not by a long shot! Apparently some older folks think that once you're past 35, you're over the hill now...??? I'm just getting warmed up!

My mom is 71, soon to be 72. She is the youngest-acting, most youthful-sounding woman I know in her age range. She has lovely short white hair, sometimes wears flashy wigs, loves fashion, and gets around like a 20 year old when she's out running errands, and she has men hitting on her all the time which just KILLS her (but I think privately she LOVES it.) She's a stitch. I want to be just like her when I grow up. :wavey:

Monnie, Your mom sounds adorable! I want to be like her too when I'm in my seventies.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1412218044|3760333 said:
monarch64|1412215892|3760308 said:

1. Last year we attended an annual get-together at the home of friends who are in their 60's. They're grandparents, and recent or soon-to-be retirees. Their friends range in age from those in their early 30s to those in their late 70s. While playing a game of "bags" (that game where you throw small beanbags across the lawn onto or into a slanted wooden box thing with a hole in the upper portion) with a couple who was in their 70s, the male counterpart (whose a$$ I was kicking, mind you) made some comment about me being "middle aged." I was astonished, and his wife, who was playing on his team but was 2 feet away from me, said, "well, how old ARE you?" I answered, "I'm only 36!" She said, "well, duh...THAT'S middle-aged!" :oops: I disagreed politely and my partner and I went on to win the game (she was also less than 40.) We see that couple frequently. They own several newspapers in the area and he is prominent in the political scene. I have a good chuckle every time we see them because of his comment/that he is kind of a blowhard/his wife is super sweet but very old school.

Monnie, Your mom sounds adorable! I want to be like her too when I'm in my seventies.

LOL, Callie! Me, too! She's been hilarious throughout my life. She's always lived her life very dramatically, but with a sense of humor. She's pretty damn cool. Growing up, my friends were always telling me "I wish my mom was like your mom!" It got tiresome for me at times, but mostly I saw their point. You can have her!!! LOL! :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time, I love being older. I can finally justify my "I don't give a rat's a$$ " attitude when people are pi$$ing me off. :lol: I like having lived some, and knowing who I am, why and what's important to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1412217828|3760329 said:
50 is the new 40.....seriously.

Oh no, I've been telling myself that 50 is the new 35!

And I can so agree with LLJsmom not giving a rats-a$$. It's so rewarding not giving a sht** what other people think!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, me too. I love not caring. I hate how hard it is to keep weight off, though! But it's great to have experienced enough things to have gained a tad of wisdom -- and patience. My blood pressure is much happier since I accepted that good things don't happen NOW; you gotta wait for them.

Kenny's advice to have a drink is on the money, April20. Have 2!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Getting older is inevitable, but sometimes I get a strange disconnect between what I see in the mirror and what I feel in my mind. I still feel 20 something inside.....wiser and more tolerant, but still young in spirit. I got to use my senior discount for the first time last month (age 55 at Michael's) and thankfully the 20 something sales assistant pretended that she was shocked that I was old enough to qualify!! Sadly I know who Captain and Tenille are and used to watch Wolfman Jack and The Midnight Special Friday nights in my teens. Anyone else remember? And finally for those of you that are "over the hill," I say "it's better to be over the hill than under it." :lol:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well shoot me now coz I am not even 30 yet and I already feel (and apparently look) old. When the hell did this happen? :confused: I was chatting to a bunch of people in their early 20's and seriously had NO FREAKIN IDEA what they were on about... :oops: Like wow. Massive blow to self esteem buuuuut then again - I'm happily married with a secure well-paid job and plenty of life experience and I would NOT trade that for a few less wrinkles. :lol:

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm at a point where I see kids and think they're 14 or 15 tops and come to find out they're 18 or 20. What. The. Heck. When did that happen??

I got carded the other night and was all excited until they carded DH. I love the man but he's 45 and does not look close enough to 21 to be carded. Then I realized we were at a restaurant practically on the Emory campus and they're carding everyone. I didn't care. I was still happy to get carded!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
kmarla|1412260367|3760587 said:
Getting older is inevitable, but sometimes I get a strange disconnect between what I see in the mirror and what I feel in my mind. I still feel 20 something inside.....wiser and more tolerant, but still young in spirit. I got to use my senior discount for the first time last month (age 55 at Michael's) and thankfully the 20 something sales assistant pretended that she was shocked that I was old enough to qualify!! Sadly I know who Captain and Tenille are and used to watch Wolfman Jack and The Midnight Special Friday nights in my teens. Anyone else remember? And finally for those of you that are "over the hill," I say "it's better to be over the hill than under it." :lol:

Yes! Midnight Special, I remember bell bottoms, platform shoes in the 70's, Captain and Tenille, Love Boat (the show, not the drug), Starsky and Hutch and Gilligans Isle. I'm not more tolerant, I'm more judgmental, but that's probably good, because the younger me would not pick a side to save her life. I was a complete doormat. Now...I am in touch with my inner bitch :) mostly, I like her.
Oh yeah...now, I apparently secretly think it is my life's mission to enlighten everyone... until I catch myself and realize I am turning into my mother :)

Life is good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results