shape
carat
color
clarity

Should the colors match?? Halo & Center Stone

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Hi there! First post.. here we go:

I am strongly considering this setting in yellow gold: http://geoffreysdiamonds.com/designers/ajaffe_d19/classic-engagement-ring_p3323/

My question is.. will I notice a visual difference in color between a K center diamond and the halo diamonds (H-I color)?

The center stone would be an excellent, round cut 1.36ct diamond, with excellent proportions, polish, symmetry, depth, table, etc. The ring will be made out of 14k yellow gold, the halo diamonds on this ring are H-I color and are each .012ct.

Will there be a visual difference in color between the K 1.36ct center stone and H-I .012ct halo diamonds?

Thanks in advance!

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Bump for fresh eyes

Do you forsee a visual difference in color between a K 1.36ct center stone and H-I .012ct halo diamonds beside it? (assuming excellent cut, proportions, etc. for all)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_2301.jpg image_2303.jpg image_2300.jpg

I thought my pictures might help. My stone is very warm--an O/P and halo's melee is an I color. It is set in yellow gold. Do I see a color difference--yes! But it doesn't bother me bc the yellow gold seems to just make my entire ring glow and because I am not going for a white diamond effect. I realize yours is a K, but I just wanted to give you a perspective of two very different colors. Hope this helps.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Getting K colored melee isn't going to help the issue. Small melee diamonds perform very differently than large centers. The melee diamonds, even in K will put out a lot of whiteness and you see contrast anyway.

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
bumpers

You think halo diamonds as small as 0.012ct can "out shine" a K center?

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
After endless searching on this forum and countless calls, I think I'm going to buy the diamond from JA just to match it up to the diamonds with my own eyes..

If anyone has any last-minute advise/suggestions, that would help a lot!

The question again:

Will the little 0.012ct H-I halo diamonds "out shine" a K colored center stone all set in YG?

THANK YOU!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not the color of the K. The melee diamonds are very small with very small fiery facets. They don't "outshine" so much as have very different light return, lots of white light. It's just the faceting differences between small tiny stones and large stones. In the tiny stones the light return makes them little white beacons, and masks their body color quite a bit.

ohhihellothere

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

My goal is to avoid significant contrast between the melee and the center stone. You think a K center stone will look funky set in a yellow gold halo with H-I melee?

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
I think you will not notice the color as much in the yellow gold halo as you would in a plat/white gold halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emmebee has a good point. It may be a non-issue.

I have an F center and a halo. And in the right light my melee STILL out-white my center stone (F/G melee) just because of the performance differences between how the large stones reflects and how the small ones do.

So don't be surprised if you see a difference in some light. It's normal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results