carat
color
clarity

Octavia Asscher -new setting help please

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412190542|3760026 said:
FrekeChild|1412182783|3759899 said:
I'm with Kenny. I think that that type of custom cut stepcut halo costs around $10k, depending on the size of your stone though, based on a quote that LTP got years ago. So probably more now. This one isn't quite what Kenny is thinking, but close.

Yum-O-Rama! :cheeky:

The only change I make to that is to have one baguette on each of the four long sides.
That setting has two.

One baguette would continue the asscher pattern.
Using two baguettes interrupts the asscher pattern.
It's ok Kenny, DandT posted the right one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks FrekeChild.

The baguettes have facets polished onto the sides that touch the windmill. :nono:
Those are distracting and break up the asscher-like patter I'd be going for.

I'm sure baguettes faceted on their short sides is customary but I'd commission baguettes that have no facets on those sides.

This would help the ring look like one big asscher instead of an asscher in a halo.

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_0.png

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Kenny - 1 side custom-cut one would be STUNNING!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd also use that 'invisible setting' technique for the baguettes.
Then you'd see no metal between the baguettes AND the asscher and each baguette.
This would further-enhance the look of one large asscher instead of an asscher in a halo.

Quote, "Invisible Settings - This relatively new type of setting holds the diamonds in place with very little gold showing. The diamonds are placed in a frame that has ridges to hold the stones in place." Source: http://miojewelry.com/diamond-education

Invisible setting is sometimes used to make 4 more affordable smaller diamonds look like one large one.

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_2.png

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_3.png

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_4.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412191169|3760031 said:
Thanks FrekeChild.

The baguettes have facets polished onto the sides that touch the windmill. :nono:
Those are distracting and break up the asscher-like patter I'd be going for.

I'm sure baguettes faceted on their short sides is customary but I'd commission baguettes that have no facets on those sides.

This would help the ring look like one big asscher instead of an asscher in a halo.
The thing is, the Octavia is much busier than a traditional asscher, so I actually think that it'd be very difficult to get halo stones to sort of replicate that look. For a traditional asscher, such as the ones posted to this thread already, I think the baguettes/traps are great because it replicates the look. But the Octavia doesn't really look like a traditional asscher.

asscher_and_octavia.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1412192449|3760050 said:
The thing is, the Octavia is much busier than a traditional asscher, so I actually think that it'd be very difficult to get halo stones to sort of replicate that look. For a traditional asscher, such as the ones posted to this thread already, I think the baguettes/traps are great because it replicates the look. But the Octavia doesn't really look like a traditional asscher.

Sure, of course it won't look exactly like one large Octavia asscher, and of course the light moving through the Octavia will not just pass into the baguettes as if it was all one large stone.

But if the dimensions of the baguettes carefully and accurately continue the lines of the windmills to the edge of the ring and if no metal is visible between any of the diamonds it will look more like one large diamond and look less like a halo ring than a conventional halo.

My ideas would work identically for a generic asscher or an Octavia or any emerald cut, long or squat, well or poorly cut.
It's mostly about continuing the lines of the windmills' edges through the halo.

I'm not saying it is better.
This stuff is all just personal taste.
I'm saying it is the look I would shoot for if I was going to use a halo.

That said, I'm on record as not being a fan of halos; I prefer solitary stones.
That may explain my desire to minimize visible artifacts of the halo look.
As always YMMV.

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kenny You articulate things so well. My husband doesn't like this setting, he thinks its too much for my stone. In regular settings, you can't even see the windmill on my stone that clearly unless you are in direct sunlight, most of the time, you can't see the pattern clearly. This is my hesitation, the asschers in settings already are traditional not octavia and look less busy than mine.

I am re-thinking this, and going to see if I can see more settings in person, so I make the right decision.

Maybe no halo at all. Kenny I like your idea of insetting the diamonds next to the asscher.

Thanks for your input, I just wish there were more Octavia Asschers in settings so i can get a better idea.

I am still on the hunt for just the right one for me.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow! love this discussion and following it.

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of this one. I like that the setting enhances the shape, but the stone is set deep- so you don't see the sides and the depth.

_22905.jpg

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
This one is the Octavia Asscher in the middle. See how you can hardly see the windmills? This is not my stone. Its another pricescope members. I believe its a 1.22 J- a little smaller than mine.

Do you like this one?

custom_jeff_cooper_look_alike.jpg

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
I would maybe like the jeff cooper one but without prongs. For some reason the prongs are bothering me. So the miligrain setting like the previous one with the side stones of the jeff cooper one? Does that make sense.

Kenny- this jeff cooper has the inset diamonds without prongs that I like. Do you think its possible to have the main stone inset like the side stones?

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
This is how I feel right now....

This is my baby dog Nikki.

nikki_picture.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
debi1960|1412257016|3760546 said:
This one is the Octavia Asscher in the middle. See how you can hardly see the windmills? This is not my stone. Its another pricescope members. I believe its a 1.22 J- a little smaller than mine.

Do you like this one?

Ability to see the windmills is more a function of the size of the diamond and a person's eyesight than the setting.
It is rational that the windmills will be equally visible in any setting if the same diamond is viewed by the same person.

In pics, especially on Pricescope, windmill visibility depends on resolution and how the diamond was lit.
There are many things that affect what resolution you see here.
Most pics are not taken with a macro setting.
Even those taken with a macro setting vary tremendously.
Sensor size of the camera is another huge factor, the larger the better but these days everyone is moving towards smaller sensor cameras which are more convenient and cost less.
Next, to save bandwidth (aka money) PS software lowers the resolution of all pics uploaded down to some equalizing lowest common denominator.
Even the pics I take with fancy and rare bellows extensions (where the diamond fills up and uses my entire 36.6 MP full-frame DSLR sensor taken in the uncompressed RAW format) look like crap on PS compared to how they look 'live'.

Please don't take this personally, but if you feel your windmills are not visible enough you may want to be sure your eyes don't need glasses, or that your glasses' prescription is up to date.
I'm in my 50s and when I was shopping for my Octavia I bought 3 to view live side by side, from 1.06, 1.22 & 1.51 ct.
Only the 1.51 could my old eyes resolve the Octavia pattern, and then only with my glasses on.

I also hate to say this but if you want more visible windmills getting a larger diamond would also do that.
DF is getting a 2.3 ct Octavia shortly. :errrr:
Maybe both you and I could take turns borrowing his. :mrgreen:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me preface this by saying I'm a bit uncomfortable answering questions on 'what I like', especially on settings, especially women's settings.
What I, or anyone else, likes doesn't matter, even if we have the same diamond cut.
Only what you like matters.
Settings and even diamonds are 100% personal.
But since you asked, I'll answer.
I'm very opinionated, but my answers carry no weight.
Opinions can also be taken as insults by owners of various settings.
But frankly some people on PS are way way too sensitive which I blame on this everyone gets a prize crap taught in schools these days.
Some take it as a personal insult when others have a differing opinion. :roll:
I'm not saying you do this debi; it's just a huge problem on PS.

I do like elements of this design.
I like the miligrain on the edge of the bezels.
When there is no miligrain inevitable tiny scratches and dents are more noticeable on the smooth surface.
I like how nothing on the setting has a curved edge.
IMO curved edges do not compliment an asscher as well as straight edges and angled corners.
There, I just ruined the life of every sensitive reader with such a setting who think people and their opinions shouldn't vary.
So sue me folks. ;))

I'm torn on the full bezel though.
I am not a fan of prongs primarily because they can bend but also metal (usually round) at the end of the windmill does not flatter the asscher cut IMO.
But at least prongs do let more light get into and out of the diamond than a full bezel.

Of course I prefer the setting I have for reasons I'll outline in case you or anyone care to consider incorporating some elements into your design.
Yes, I realize tension setting are not for everyone ... I have to say this for those overly-sensitive people with defective thinking. :roll:

The 'prongs' are not as delicate as normal prongs because they are enormously beefy and supported up their entire length by solid metal which is stronger than solder joints with a little pole sticking up.
They can't be bent short of a trauma that would send me to the ER.
This means my diamond will not just vanish without me noticing like it, as when a person with a standard prong setting simply puts on a sweater.

It lets light in and out on all 4 sides.
When we look at our diamonds we usually see it in a side view.
Light performance discussions traditionally consider only light that enters and exits the crown.
But in real life light enters and exits the pavilion too and a setting that does not block that light means you get more of the light show you paid for.

Also, in the top view the prongs are angled to compliment Octavia's octagonal shape.

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_9.png

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_10.png

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_0.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412271778|3760685 said:
Also, in the top view the prongs are angled to compliment Octavia's octagonal shape.
I do love your large windmill, Kenny :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1412292806|3760947 said:

Ah shucks.
I'll bet you say that to all the guys with large ones. :naughty: :oops: :mrgreen:

Oh when, oh when, will women love me for my great mind, and not see me as just a massive slab of meat? ;(

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412324562|3761201 said:
OoohShiny|1412292806|3760947 said:

Ah shucks.
I'll bet you say that to all the guys with large ones. :naughty: :oops: :mrgreen:

Oh when oh when will women recognize me for my great mind, and not see me as just a massive slab of meat? ;(
haha :mrgreen:

As I bloke I suffer from the same size-envy we all do, although some more secretly than others :tongue: LoL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opps, sorry. :oops:
I didn't know, or forgot, you were a guy.
We are such a tiny minority here on PS, and you don't have a screen name like John or James or Burt. :mrgreen:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries :mrgreen:

Perhaps I should change it to something like SpongeBobShinyRock :lol: lol

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
OoohShiny|1412331371|3761237 said:
No worries :mrgreen:

Perhaps I should change it to something like SpongeBobShinyRock :lol: lol

SpongeBobShineyRock makes me laugh.

A lot of good advice given. Best perhaps to keep looking until you find the one that makes your heart sing. I, personally, love vintage octagonal halos. Obviously not everyone's cup of tea. I do really like the mille grained bezel with the traps that you posted- really nice.

I like the idea of 'framing' the diamond- accentuating the unique geometry is just appealing with that cut. I think bezels and halos do that the best, if the tension setting, which does go with the stone incredibly well, is not your shangri-la. It does look like the bezel/trap setting you posted has an open gallery to let in light. Also, I might be overstepping, but I think that with a stone so well cut, you will still get amazing performance in a bezel, though, I could be off- there are threads about performance and how it is affected by bezels.

So... hoping you turn your frown upside-down- or Nikki's frown- adorable, lol- and just have fun finding a gorgeous ring that will become yours!

debi1960

Shiny_Rock
Im leaning towards a bezel cut now.

What do you think of this one?

beverly_k_bezel_cut_engagement_ring_view_one.png

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I love the band on that ring, not crazy about the bezel. I also love the Kenny setting suggestion (the one your hubby doesn't like).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results