shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Help needed on setting this ROSE cut PEAR!!!

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
there's no harm in having more diamond

You'd be out the cost and time of the custom setting. I don't want to pile on the think carefully train because you seem sure, but it seems like a very minor setback to get it sent to you to confirm your thoughts.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1412116630|3759446 said:
You totally could set it that way,bit again, that goes back to the issue of wearing a wedding band, without the basket there will be nothing to keep the wedding band from showing under the stone.

in FrekeChild's video you could see the temporary setting under the diamond too. it doesnt bother me.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, those rose cut pix just blew my mind!!!!!! :wavey: :love: :love: :love: :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
starrylight|1412117897|3759464 said:

You'd be out the cost and time of the custom setting. I don't want to pile on the think carefully train because you seem sure, but it seems like a very minor setback to get it sent to you to confirm your thoughts.
I don't see the harm in getting it sent to you either. If you hate it, you can at least return it within the 7 days and keep looking. If you hate it after you've had it set, you're out $2,150 for the setting and $13,600 for a stone you don't like. I'm all for more diamonds, and more jewels in general, but wouldn't you rather get it right the first time? I mean, maybe it's just another pretty bauble to you, but I think that most women get pretty attached to their engagement rings.

Have you talked to your boyfriend about how he feels about that? My husband, for example, doesn't give two hoots about what I do with my jewelry in general (good thing too, since I change my mind a lot) but he cares a LOT about my engagement ring. It's very different for many men out there, my father doesn't give two hoots about jewelry in general, so he wouldn't care. He also wouldn't buy any more diamonds though.

I've seen so many people say, "I want this for my ering!" and then they get it and they are like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!" The lucky ones can return and start over. The unlucky ones are stuck with it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
derbygal|1412123411|3759517 said:
Freke, those rose cut pix just blew my mind!!!!!! :wavey: :love: :love: :love: :love:
:naughty:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1412136858|3759626 said:
starrylight|1412117897|3759464 said:

I don't see the harm in getting it sent to you either. If you hate it, you can at least return it within the 7 days and keep looking. If you hate it after you've had it set, you're out $2,150 for the setting and $13,600 for a stone you don't like. I'm all for more diamonds, and more jewels in general, but wouldn't you rather get it right the first time? I mean, maybe it's just another pretty bauble to you, but I think that most women get pretty attached to their engagement rings.

Have you talked to your boyfriend about how he feels about that? My husband, for example, doesn't give two hoots about what I do with my jewelry in general (good thing too, since I change my mind a lot) but he cares a LOT about my engagement ring. It's very different for many men out there, my father doesn't give two hoots about jewelry in general, so he wouldn't care. He also wouldn't buy any more diamonds though.

I've seen so many people say, "I want this for my ering!" and then they get it and they are like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!" The lucky ones can return and start over. The unlucky ones are stuck with it.

yup. he's updated on every post and every email :) we've gone though the entire process together and i ask for his input on the tiniest details.
he doesnt think we need to see the diamond in person and i agree with him. we love the diamond and we've seen enough diamonds together to make that judgement call.
he was the one that suggested for me to set it in a pendent in a few years if i dont like it anymore. :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, I don't think its fair or constructive for the OP for you to beat a dead horse like this.

I know it's all with the best intentions. Everyone just wants her to like her ring and not waste money. I'm certain the op wants that too. But after you thoroughly lay an opinion out, if the OP clearly states she isn't interested, I think it's time to respect what that OP wants out of this thread and leave it to design.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
HI! I LOVE and own rose cuts and yours actually looks much deeper than most of the ones I have seen, making even more dreamy! David Klass seems like an amazing artist and I have been following his pinterest boards and FB posts.

Singlestone for ideas is always awe inspiring as well!

I cannot wait to see how your ring comes out, I will be waiting with baited breath!

I have a rose cut solitaire, (no backing) that was just made and a rose cut eternity that I just adore! I also have traditional diamond rings but the rose cuts are SO unique and elegant-I love the wow factor of their simplicity! PLEASE keep up updated with your process here, will be thrilled to see your project come to life!!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the reassurance artdecolover71!!

david sent me another cad drawing. see attached

he will use 1.3mm melee on the halo, so the halo will be slightly bigger than 1.3mm with the metal.

the shank is now 1.9mm ( as opposed to the 1.8mm i asked for in the last email...not sure why it changed)

i've labeled my concerns to him and sent him an email he said he'll get back to me today.

Question #1: he said the total height from my finger to the top of the stone is 5.4mm, but the stone itself is 3.31mm and the shank is (hopefully) 1.8mm which only leaves 0.29mm for the struts...somehow this math doesn't add up to me.

Question #2: i'm not sure how big/high the pear doughnut is. at this point i don't think i mind seeing metal through the diamond. in FrekeChild's video of the diamond (huge thanks for uploading that for me btw), you could see the temporary setting through the diamond, but i don't think i particularly minded it. i think i will keep it like this until david gets my diamond and we can discuss further when he sees it.

_22859.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't particularly like the prong placement....

ETA: there are a lot of different measurements for the shank on that. I see 1.8 right under the stone, 2.05 width and 2.20mm depth. I know that you want 1.8mm, but with pave, that means that the shank doesn't have a ton of metal to be stabilized and hold it's shape, because the diamonds will cut into that, and polishing the metal will also deplete that.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1412183658|3759907 said:
I don't particularly like the prong placement....
same. both my bf and i preferred it with 4 prongs. did you like the original placement of 4 prongs?
david did say that my prongs will be very strong. maybe 4 is sufficient?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you don't want a prong on the tip of the pear? I think you mentioned that the diamond was going to be set into the halo, right? More prongs are better, and a bezel is even better than that. Options:

5 prongs:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/274297433526394012/

4 prongs like the original:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/309341068125789913/

3 prongs (I would NOT do this, I am too paranoid):
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/15692298675458924/

10 prongs:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/42643527697358692/

6 prongs:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/285345326360789099/

7 prongs (could add an eighth):
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/277745501992903317/

8 prongs:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/277745501993350097/

bezel:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/7177680626819984/

And this, just because it's pretty:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/251005379207180727/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 prongs just doesn't feel sufficiently secure for such a large stone that will be worn everyday. I'd do at least 5.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the diamond is already surrounded by metal so why not make it full-bezel set?
That would eliminate all of the prongs.

screen_shot_2014-10-01_at_11.png

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1412187651|3759977 said:
It looks like the diamond is already surrounded by metal so why not get rid of all of he prongs and make it full-bezel set?

I don't like to see air gap or metal between my center diamond and the halo. That's why I kind of ruled out bezel. Is there a way yo do bezel where you don't see that ring of metal?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1412187761|3759979 said:
It looks like the diamond is already surrounded by metal so why not get rid of all of he prongs and make it full-bezel set?

I don't like to see air gap or metal between my center diamond and the halo. That's why I kind of ruled out bezel. Is there a way yo do bezel where you don't see that ring of metal?

Why can't the metal bezel surrounding the diamond also just have melee set into it?
Is this not technically possible, or possible but costly, and/or something only the most skilled benches can pull off?

Anyone know?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, no. That ring of metal IS the bezel. But you can get tight bezels.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1412188012|3759988 said:

Well, no. That ring of metal IS the bezel. But you can get tight bezels.

they'll end up looking like this... if i'm lucky and the workmanship is good then the bezel will be smaller. but i dont think it'll be at the point where it's small enough that i dont see much metal.

pear_bezel_halo.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want minimal metal to show, I wouldn't go with CAD/cast. Hand forged will be finer and allow for less metal to show.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You just don't like the look of a bezel? It's more sleek than prongs, but DK does some pretty nice claw prongs....I think I'd probably do a bezel if I were making your ring. Less distracting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking at that design and thinking it's going to be awfully... well... floppy.

Diamond (the material) is heavy, and platinum is heavy, and that shank is thin and that doughnut is tiny. "Normal" pears with faceted pavilions are better balanced with that sort of shank placement because the culet is much closer to the bulge than the tip, which concentrates the weight there. A stone like this without any pavilion bulge, though, has a much more even weight distribution and I think this ring will want to flop forward so the tip rests on your finger.

Will your melee be full-cut or single-cut? And are you confident your eyes will like (or, at least, not object to) the juxtaposition of warmer stone and icy white metal? A GIA K is not going to be white - I have a similarly-coloured rose cut pear that is much smaller (3/4ct) and the tint is very clear to my eyes when comparing to higher-coloured stones or white metals. I think it's actually more evident than it would be were the stone faceted top and bottom because it lacks all the distracting flash and twinkle you see from those "normal" sorts of cuts.

The girdle is not polished, and it looks pretty thick - the fact that it is unpolished will most likely be noticeable on your finger IRL, and IMO makes an argument for a bezel... but you'd really have to see the stone in-person to judge. Do you live outside the US? I truly don't understand why you refuse to see with your own eyes prior to having a custom setting made for it - likening it to 'taking candy from a baby' is utterly nonsensical and tremendously impractical: how can one possibly judge how best to show it off without having seen it? If you do live outside the country having it shipped out loose is still the 'safer' option - you could almost certainly have a setting made locally to the same standards - after seeing the stone...

girdle.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, believe it or not people really do vary! :bigsmile:

Here's an IS of my RC pear. I obviously did not choose it for its phenomenal light play... and yet I adore it and I wouldn't dream of exchanging it for another stone! I adore my briolettes too, and they suffer from the same "lack" of performance. I posted this in an old thread a long time ago:
Yssie|1395764283|3641053 said:
The light return is so very, very different from a diamond with a faceted pavilion! I never see contrast, bright white sparkle, or scintillation from my rose cut; it's clear as glass, and in the sunshine the peripheral facets throw off giant flashes of colour. Another PSer Elliot called rose cuts 'soft and watery' and I love that description.

is-rosecut.png

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1412191086|3760030 said:
I'm looking at that design and thinking it's going to be awfully... well... floppy.

Diamond (the material) is heavy, and platinum is heavy, and that shank is thin and that doughnut is tiny. "Normal" pears with faceted pavilions are better balanced with that sort of shank placement because the culet is much closer to the bulge than the tip, which concentrates the weight there. A stone like this without any pavilion bulge, though, has a much more even weight distribution and I think this ring will want to flop forward so the tip rests on your finger.

Will your melee be full-cut or single-cut? And are you confident your eyes will like (or, at least, not object to) the juxtaposition of warmer stone and icy white metal? A GIA K is not going to be white - I have a similarly-coloured rose cut pear that is much smaller (3/4ct) and the tint is very clear to my eyes when comparing to higher-coloured stones or white metals. I think it's actually more evident than it would be were the stone faceted top and bottom because it lacks all the distracting flash and twinkle you see from those "normal" sorts of cuts.

The girdle is not polished, and it looks pretty thick - the fact that it is unpolished will most likely be noticeable on your finger IRL, and IMO makes an argument for a bezel... but you'd really have to see the stone in-person to judge. Do you live outside the US? I truly don't understand why you refuse to see with your own eyes prior to having a custom setting made for it - likening it to 'taking candy from a baby' is utterly nonsensical and tremendously impractical: how can one possibly judge how best to show it off without having seen it? If you do live outside the country having it shipped out loose is still the 'safer' option - you could almost certainly have a setting made locally to the same standards - after seeing the stone...

He said the girdle will be surrounded by the halo and not sitting on top of it.
What if it's "bezeled" at the bottom, a.k.a. sitting on a flat ledge and the top is prong set?
Then it'll have a nice flat surface to sit on.
Obviously with more prongs.

unnamed__2_.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1412193674|3760069 said:
Kenny, believe it or not people really do vary! :bigsmile:

Where in the world did you ever get THAT idea? :lol:

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Just want to show you couple pear designs I saved for my next project. You're welcome to use them.

_22891.jpg

_22893.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of my favorite pears with a bezel and halo, by Bez Ambar.

bez_ambar_0.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1412187899|3759983 said:

Why can't the metal bezel surrounding the diamond also just have melee set into it?
Is this not technically possible, or possible but costly, and/or something only the most skilled benches can pull off?

Anyone know?

It would be a setting nightmare. Think of the difficulties with three-sided pave ... and then magnify it by a factor of ten or so, since the metal of the bezel is ideally less than one mm thick, and the pavilion of even a faceted one pointer would poke through that. Not to mention that the force necessary to raise the bead or bend down the prong would bend the bezel, so you'd need to do it with the stone already set ... a liability in the making. I suppose you could eliminate the first issue by using tiny rose cuts ... but I think you'd basically just make your bench cry if you asked.

You could possibly create the illusion of it with a false bezel, though - CAD or was wax cast a setting where the "bezel" is level with a thicker layer around it, and then set the center last using tabs on the back ....

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Played around with the idea of a split shank cathedral set yesterday.
I drew up some sketches, what do you guys think?
I was thinking of incorporating me and my bf's birth stones in the gallery (topaz and ruby). Do you think it's too much?

sketch1412209463369.png

sketch1412211517222.png

sketch1319232.png

sketch1317114.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results