carat
color
clarity

bicolor ruby-sapphire or bicolor sapphire

dm-smith

Rough_Rock

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The lines are blurred between pink sapphire and ruby.
This was discussed a few times here but its always interesting to bring it up again

Heres an article by Richard Hughes: http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/ruby_sapphire_borders.htm

I think different people have different opinions about it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're in Asia, pink corundum is often called Ruby. If you're in Europe, Ruby has to be red (not pink).

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If you sell it it is a ruby - if you buy it it is a pink sapphire :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, vendor calls it Ruby and sells for more and buys it as Pink Sapphire for less. :bigsmile: But on a more serious note, I've noticed more pinks are called ruby in Asia.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - I had sometimes discussion with Sri Lanka dealers - the offer ( extremely fine and beautiful) hot pink super saturated sapphire as ruby. In Sri Lanka it is ruby...and expensive!!!

You know they pics in R. Schlüssel "Mogok" book ( pink and padparadscha) - page 216 no 3,6,7 :lickout:

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Nice to see natural bi-color Corundum that didn't have beryllium heat.
When speaking English, logic dictates that any color, regardless of saturation, is still that color, even when pale, but simply with the word 'light' placed before it, right? Light blue, light green, light yellow etc. Wrong. No such thing as 'light red' (pink) or 'light black' (gray). Every language has its' flaws.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little|1412304105|3761038 said:
Nice to see natural bi-color Corundum that didn't have beryllium heat.
When speaking English, logic dictates that any color, regardless of saturation, is still that color, even when pale, but simply with the word 'light' placed before it, right? Light blue, light green, light yellow etc. Wrong. No such thing as 'light red' (pink) or 'light black' (gray). Every language has its' flaws.

Nice perspective, Lee. Thanks. :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, strange as it may sound, different cultures often divide the colour spectrum differently. We think in terms of 6 colours (because no one really thinks of "indigo" as a separate colour and Newton pushed that one because his metaphysical views that thought of 7 as a perfect number). Some cultures differentiate as little as 3 colours (Homer's "wine dark sea", for example, was certainly not red!), others don't separate greens and blues (Japanese culture, until recently) and I remember reading of one African culture that saw "yellowish green" as a completely different colour from "Bluish green".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results