shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you hide your jewelery?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
So its nice to have box to keep everything organized, I am a guy so I have a lot of watches as well as rings, and cufflinks which are kind of big. Have a beautiful box for them in the closet. Live in a very safe place but things still happen. Almost everyone I know that lives in a big city has been robbed at some point in their life. How paranoid should I be keeping all my stuff in one easy travel package? I dont want to invest in a big heavy safe, and not into a security deposit box at the bank every time i want to wear a nice watch. What do you guys do? Any great hiding place suggestions?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i never hide my jewelry, they're all laid out in my crystal jewelry box. you can see EVERYTHING without opening it haha.
but i happen to live in a very safe neighbourhood where even if i leave my door/window open for days i wouldn't lose anything...
however i think it depends on where you live and the crime rate there.

but i do have a bank safe deposit that i will be putting valuables into for times where i take trips longer than a week.
it came free with my chequings account so i do take full advantage of it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Great hiding place suggestion" threads are kind of like "great tip off the robbers" suggestion threads: my general takeaway when I read one was to immediately move my stuff if anybody suggested a place I'd used! Now I just use a safety deposit box for literally everything except for the stuff I'm currently wearing, which is generally covered by my insurance. It's a pain to go to the bank when I want to wear something, but worth it for the peace of mind .....

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, apparently I hide my small diamond earrings. I can never find them! They show up in the dumbest places. But otherwise, no, I don't. We have a safe, and good insurance.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we told you then it wouldn't be a secret hiding place :devil:

Seriously, I volunteer in the Crime Analysis unit of my local police department and get to read about all of the residential burglaries in my city. There are many losses from people who keep their jewelry in a jewelry box on the dresser, that is the first place they look, followed by anywhere in your bedroom. Also don't be surprised if they dump all the contents of your drawers out too and grab a pillow case from the bed.

If you have a huge 400 lb gun safe, that's good, but those smaller 2 x 2 ft ones get pried from the floor even if bolted down.

Also don't keep your garage door opener in your car clipped to the visor, all the crooks have to do is break into your car then use the opener to get into your garage, then into your house. So we also cut out the street address on our car registration that is in the car, but keep a good copy in our wallet/purse. This is so that if your vehicle is burglarized, the crooks don't know where you live. Those with newer cars and navigation systems should not program their real address for "HOME", we used the PD address as we know how to get home from there.

Of course having a monitored alarm system is good, as is surveillance. We have a system with 8 cameras where there is also an app for your phone sending you alerts if it detects motion. Using that app, we can also view all 8 cameras when were are away. PD regularly note if there is an alarm and/or surveillance in their reports now. We have both.

Not to scare you, but this is what I've learned from reading crime reports at the PD all day.

btw a "robbery" is a crime against a person (holds gun to you and says gimme your phone) while a "burglary" is breaking and entering a vehicle, dwelling or commercial establishment (read some where they have cut holes through to roof to enter).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do take it all seriously cflutist. To be perfectly honest, I am always far more worried about someone entering my home and taking my dogs, or harming them, or even just setting them loose on the street. They can't be replaced. We do have a monitored alarm system.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1412114529|3759424 said:
I do take it all seriously cflutist. To be perfectly honest, I am always far more worried about someone entering my home and taking my dogs, or harming them, or even just setting them loose on the street. They can't be replaced. We do have a monitored alarm system.

The Seriously comment was not directed to you but rather in reference to the joke I made about hiding places. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I hide my jewelry. In weird places. I also have a safety deposit box, which incidentally, is too small!
But luckily, DH works from home, so a weekday break-in may be unlikely.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1412109738|3759379 said:
If we told you then it wouldn't be a secret hiding place :devil:

Seriously, I volunteer in the Crime Analysis unit of my local police department and get to read about all of the residential burglaries in my city. There are many losses from people who keep their jewelry in a jewelry box on the dresser, that is the first place they look, followed by anywhere in your bedroom. Also don't be surprised if they dump all the contents of your drawers out too and grab a pillow case from the bed.

If you have a huge 400 lb gun safe, that's good, but those smaller 2 x 2 ft ones get pried from the floor even if bolted down.

Also don't keep your garage door opener in your car clipped to the visor, all the crooks have to do is break into your car then use the opener to get into your garage, then into your house. So we also cut out the street address on our car registration that is in the car, but keep a good copy in our wallet/purse. This is so that if your vehicle is burglarized, the crooks don't know where you live. Those with newer cars and navigation systems should not program their real address for "HOME", we used the PD address as we know how to get home from there.

Of course having a monitored alarm system is good, as is surveillance. We have a system with 8 cameras where there is also an app for your phone sending you alerts if it detects motion. Using that app, we can also view all 8 cameras when were are away. PD regularly note if there is an alarm and/or surveillance in their reports now. We have both.

Not to scare you, but this is what I've learned from reading crime reports at the PD all day.

btw a "robbery" is a crime against a person (holds gun to you and says gimme your phone) while a "burglary" is breaking and entering a vehicle, dwelling or commercial establishment (read some where they have cut holes through to roof to enter).

Thank you for the great information Cflutist!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, or rather, I have, and it's caused trouble for me, because I forget where it is, so I've stopped doing that. Once, I misplaced my diamond necklace for more than a year and a half, eventually finding it in the most ridiculous place, why I put it there, I don't know, but no, I'm not going to tell, either. I keep the most sentimental pieces in our safe deposit box at the bank, and bring other pieces there when I know I'm not going to be using them much. The pieces left at home then tend to me worn most of the time, which is a good thing, jewelry is meant to be worn, right?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1412115216|3759432 said:
lyra|1412114529|3759424 said:

The Seriously comment was not directed to you but rather in reference to the joke I made about hiding places. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

I'm sorry, I was very unclear. I know you weren't directing your post at me. You had a lot of great information, and it really is a serious concern these days. I am willing to lose material things if my efforts are not enough. But I don't have anything with a lot of sentiment attached to it. I count on my insurance more than anything. I live in a very low crime area though. And we have 4 police officers on my street. It's quite normal to see police cars outside.

I do remember my MIL used to hide her jewelry in all sorts of places. She always forgot where she put it. She was always in a panic. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results