shape
carat
color
clarity

Sent an ugly 1ct diamond to Brian Gavin for recut analysis.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Sent an ugly 1ct diamond to Brian Gavin for recut analys

This is a huge improvement from the original. Thanks for posting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That was AWESOME. The numbers of from the original Sarin read like a diamond spec horror novel and now look at it! Simply stunning.

What are you going to do with it?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

love seeing the before cant wait for the after

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gypsy|1412122335|3759505 said:
That was AWESOME. The numbers of from the original Sarin read like a diamond spec horror novel and now look at it! Simply stunning.

What are you going to do with it?

I know, haha! It really was an ugly diamond before. It was splintery in appearance, and not bright. I've had it for 23 years but never wanted to do anything with it. I'm brainstorming ideas for what I could do with it now...thinking about stacking rings with a couple of gemstone other ones, but I might just save it for one of my kids. I think this is a great thing to do with an ugly diamond.

Thanks for the comments, tyty333, Missy, dawnxcul and cflutist. :)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

heididdl|1412123260|3759515 said:
love seeing the before cant wait for the after

The after is at the bottom of the first page. :)

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Amazing results, congrats on the *improved* beauty! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very nice! Ex job by BGD!.. :love: :appl:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

Is there more and stronger fire than your 5ct, even though they look the same to you?

I'm considering a recut myself.

Is the difference in performance at all? What are the differences you do see?

Thanks.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is beautiful, Tourmaline!!! I had Brian recut a stone for me too. It was a .50 stone and it came out to either .42 or .44 (I can't remember which). I bought a matching stone from him and had earrings made. I wear them almost every day. I hope you can find something special to do with your beauty, while you wait to give it to your kids!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

FancyIntense|1412992810|3765681 said:
Is there more and stronger fire than your 5ct, even though they look the same to you?

I'm considering a recut myself.

Is the difference in performance at all? What are the differences you do see?

Thanks.

Sorry, I missed this when you posted it. I keep meaning to take them both out in the sun and see what happens. I have never been a fan of diamonds in direct sunlight, but I am interested in the difference in fire. It's pretty cloudy here these days...can't check now. I did notice that there was a bit of a difference in very bright artificial light (a special illuminating lamp). My larger diamond seemed more washed out. Honestly, I don't know if that's because of the cut or other factors (my larger one has better clarity and larger facets just because of its size).

Something that this has taught me is that ideal cut diamonds do nothing for me. I was expecting to feel WOW, but I felt sort of MEH. If I don't save the recut one for one of my kids, I will probably trade it in for an old cut (or new old cut) diamond in a warm color. I haven't decided yet. As for my larger diamond, I think I love it because the facets are large (both size and the fact that it's an early round brilliant, or a late transitional), but I have been exploring large old cut diamonds, too. I have learned so much about the science of diamond cut and my own preferences in the last year! Wow!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

luv2sparkle|1412993273|3765686 said:
It is beautiful, Tourmaline!!! I had Brian recut a stone for me too. It was a .50 stone and it came out to either .42 or .44 (I can't remember which). I bought a matching stone from him and had earrings made. I wear them almost every day. I hope you can find something special to do with your beauty, while you wait to give it to your kids!

I have some ugly (to my current standards) diamond studs that I would love to have recut, but I am thinking of old cut styles now, but I'm not sure if they'd be worth recutting because of size and cost.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I just saw this thread and really sorry I missed it at first but then I would have been too anxious to see how it comes out. It is a beautiful stone, too bad it does nothing for you but we have different preferences. I have to say your big one is gorgeous as well but I do love the cut on the small one even if not ideal. I think it takes time to get used to ideal cuts. When I first saw Hearts on Fire just as they came out and saw them cut I really disliked them, perhaps before then I was not really used to seeing stones with so much fire but to those that had a lot of white light return, at least the way I remember it is that I truly disliked so much fire and their opponents used to say they looked like Swarovskis. Now I could not disagree more. Nothing beats and ideal cut to me and I want as much fire as possible. I do love old cuts and always have but they can be quite fiery and also love the new vintages cut to ideal light return. I think that most people do not care or do not see the difference and it is only a small percentage of educated people and us on PS here that are such advocates of ideal cuts. Most brick and mortar stores still sell mediocre stones at the best ( I did not want to use an ugly word) and people still buy a lot from them. I think you can also find great old stones if you do your research and they can also have wonderful light performance.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow that recut is impressive! Amazing how losing that little of the stone really brought out the beauty!
I'm glad it worked out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results