carat
color
clarity

Why is PS slower than 10 yrs ago?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1411968952|3758489 said:
FYI, I've had some pretty strong cough syrup, I'm sick and sleep deprived (either the cough syrup keeps me up or the coughing does). So keep that in mind when reading my post. I'm not quite hearing colors anymore... but that was only a little while ago.

I hope you feel better soon Gypsy. I miss you!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1412013463|3758711 said:
JewelFreak|1411995138|3758577 said:
Judging from the purely personal toxicity some people manage to convey, I am glad politics is banned here. It's pointless anyway. Nothing wrong with expressing opinions but when they are set in stone & all others so stupid, their owners don't deserve even politeness, why bother? I have almost quit PS twice after attacks hurt, too personal & too vicious -- and that's without politics. :Up_to_something: I now avoid participating in topics where controversy offers an opportunity for meanness; if you squawk, they answer that they didn't start it, you did by disagreeing with them.

--- Laurie
IMO we should allow to talk politics b/c no one can force me to click on the topic if I do not wanna participate. The traffic on PS was busier than the LA freeways during the 2008 election.. :bigsmile:

Yep, agreed. I might not see eye-to-eye with some PSrs on certain topics, but damn, do I enjoy debating them sometimes. Speaking of posters I miss ... Black Jade, if you're out there, I always enjoyed your perspectives, even when I didn't agree with them. Hope you're well! :wavey:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1411968952|3758489 said:
FYI, I've had some pretty strong cough syrup, I'm sick and sleep deprived (either the cough syrup keeps me up or the coughing does). So keep that in mind when reading my post. I'm not quite hearing colors anymore... but that was only a little while ago.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well :(sad
OK don't laugh but I read something in this weekend's paper (one of those "Ask the Dr" columns) about putting Vicks on the soles of your feet (then covering with socks) before bed to help a cough. If you have Vicks laying around, it may be worth a try? Hope you feel better soon Gypsy!
:wavey:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
As far as the original topic, I found PS 1.0 easier to use than 2.0...
I drifted away for years (well before 2.0) as life became too busy. I have a little more time now so I'm back occasionally - but still trying to figure out how to post pics and things like that.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the big confession thread - if people posted things they were embarrassed about admitting? Even though it was deleted quickly, maybe they thought people would remember? I skimmed it but can't remember a single thing about it except how brave and wonderful and supportive PS'ers were in that thread.

I also remember at one point, I made myself take a PS break when funds were low. I didn't want to get any ideas on something I wanted and couldn't afford. I'm much better with that now - I can look and not feel like I have to have it... for the most part... ;-) :saint:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a very early adopter internet forum person. I can't remember all the forums I've participated on over the last 20 some years. Things have evolved. There are many PS-like FB forums/groups. Some don't allow vendors, some do. Really, there isn't much drama there, and as far as I know, no one sits around discussing people from here over "there". People are still buying jewelry, but they like their privacy too. PS is not private. It only offers a certain amount of anonymity. Some people like an environment where people know each other and can still have some anonymity within a group that is not viewed by the entire internet per se. IMO. Even FB is evolving. Maybe in a year or two there will be another social platform that works better for people, who knows. I try to keep up with pop culture as much as I can. I am enjoying all the different opportunities to share information. That's just me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1412019919|3758755 said:
PS is not private. It only offers a certain amount of anonymity. Some people like an environment where people know each other and can still have some anonymity within a group that is not viewed by the entire internet per se.

Huh?

Facebook rules/policies requires you use your real name.
Pricescope forbids revealing personal information.

How can you call FB more private and anonymous than PS?
Or did you perhaps get them switched and mean the opposite of what you wrote?

_446.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412021446|3758770 said:
lyra|1412019919|3758755 said:
PS is not private. It only offers a certain amount of anonymity. Some people like an environment where people know each other and can still have some anonymity within a group that is not viewed by the entire internet per se.

Huh?

Facebook rules/policies requires you use your real name.
Pricescope forbids revealing personal information.

How can you call FB more private and anonymous than PS?
Or did you perhaps get them switched and mean the opposite of what you wrote?
Because it is more private. On FB, you post things privately to people you "know", not just leave them out in the open or public. FB is far more private than PS in that regard. There are privacy settings and only people I approve/friend can see what I let them see. If you have your privacy settings high, the only things the general public can see are your profile picture and cover picture.

With PS, while it's anonymous, I don't know who is looking at my posts. Anyone can see them. There is a big difference there for a lot of people.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1411968515|3758485 said:
[quote="FrekeChild|
The PS FB group isn't exactly thriving, so you can't blame PS's lack of life on that.

Freke, what is the latest gossip over on FB?.. :bigsmile:[/quote]
Well, they all think you are the cat's pajamas and have maddening school-girl crushes on you because of your insightful threads and delightful commentary.

Or you know, a thread on suggestions for traveling to Hawaii and a thread about sign language.

Take your pick. :twisted:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke
I heard you are the gate keeper on FB. .. :bigsmile:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Privacy.

I think we're all becoming increasingly aware of how easy it is to identify people from what they post online. I know I was emotionally slutty on PS in the beginning and have had to reign that in. I'm certain I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Also... Did you read about the woman on another forum (not allowed to mention it by name) who had her Birkins stolen? Apparently they tracked her using what she posted on that forum, Facebook and instagram. I searched for the link now and found another thread (on the same forum) posted just yesterday, by a woman claiming that her home was burgled and that she'd her handbags stolen.

Some people here have posted pictures of their homes, their jewellery boxes, where they put their jewellery when they go to sleep, when they're working with their hands. Some have posted their names and pictures of themselves.

I once stumbled across an adoption listing showing a couple's real names and their homes and I realised, holy shit! It's so-and-so from PS.

I also think some people just don't know how to play nicely with others and don't know how to take constructive criticism. I know of a poster who has done a GBCPS twice and I notice she is now back with yet another name (and is actually posting jewellery she has already posted before - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this?).

There's another quite active poster who was bullied on PS by someone who knows her IRL and had to create a new account and is posting here again and has been for a while.

Anyway, my point is, you just can't control what happens to information once it's online. Pictures of your cats and your jewellery are fine, I guess, provided you remove any and all identifying features. But a rant about a colleague or a family member? You just never know who might be reading it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1412086008|3759177 said:
Privacy.

I also think some people just don't know how to play nicely with others and don't know how to take constructive criticism. I know of a poster who has done a GBCPS twice and I notice she is now back with yet another name (and is actually posting jewellery she has already posted before - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this?).
:confused: :read:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is GBCPS? :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good-Bye Cruel Price-Scope.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Someone up there posted about "not being able to take constructive criticism." I remember 3 threads (mine was one of them) where the OPs were attacked and piled on unmercifully. The "opinions" given seemed to be agreed upon according to friendships, were far from kind, and were delivered with a shove it down your throat mentality. And even after a couple practically pegged posters to stop, they were made fun of through cruel icons and pictures.

After that I could see why no one out of the loop would want to post anything of substance anymore.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I am scared to announce here, however, by popular demand, we have agreed to a trial run of bringing politics back to Around the World. Do not bring this discussion into other parts of the forum and keep religious and racial comments out of discussion. Be respectful and help us moderate if you would like this rule to remain in place.
1. No nasty comments. Namecalling, negative generalizations about a political party, or general mean posts will have a zero-tolerance policy. First violation, a forum time out for one month. Second infraction, six months, and third one year.
2. Moderator has full authority to determine what violates this policy. Intent and context will play a role.
3. If you think a post is questionable, please report it so we see it as soon as possible.

Please don't make me :wall: :wall: :wall: , DF and Kenny I am looking at you. :twirl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOOHOO! :dance: :appl:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great news! I doubt I would have much to say on the matter unless someone brings my country into things, but I know how much people enjoyed that forum in the past. :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think I'll take DF's excellent advice & bow out of it. Until I see if tolerance is truly possible among those who talk about it so much.

The most unpleasant people, Ella, have not been DF or Kenny in my experience. Not at all -- they have been female, for one thing, and probably in their 20s, at least that's the age they seemed. (Well, actually, how about maybe 12?)

Enjoy. Let's see how it goes, thanks mods.

--- Laurie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1412112882|3759409 said:
... DF and Kenny I am looking at you. :twirl:

So Ella, what do you think of my birthday suit? :naughty:

Who's hotter, me or DF?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am scared to announce here, however, by popular demand, we have agreed to a trial run of bringing politics back to Around the World. Do not bring this discussion into other parts of the forum and keep religious and racial comments out of discussion. Be respectful and help us moderate if you would like this rule to remain in place.
1. No nasty comments. Namecalling, negative generalizations about a political party, or general mean posts will have a zero-tolerance policy. First violation, a forum time out for one month. Second infraction, six months, and third one year.
2. Moderator has full authority to determine what violates this policy. Intent and context will play a role.
3. If you think a post is questionable, please report it so we see it as soon as possible.

Please don't make me :wall: :wall: :wall: , DF and Kenny I am looking at you. :twirl:

And, here is where you can find the forum named, Around the World:
It appears to be a sub-forum of Pricescope Cafe.

screen_shot_2014-09-30_at_3.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1412115334|3759435 said:
The most unpleasant people, Ella, have not been DF or Kenny in my experience. Not at all -- they have been female, for one thing, and probably in their 20s, at least that's the age they seemed. (Well, actually, how about maybe 12?)

DANG! I'm going to have to work harder to keep up with these young women. :devil:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Ella... :wavey: I never have any animosities towards other PSer's political beliefs no matter if they are on the left or on the right. I still love Deb even though she believes everything that's printed on NYT... :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1412115334|3759435 said:
I think I'll take DF's excellent advice & bow out of it. Until I see if tolerance is truly possible among those who talk about it so much.

Enjoy. Let's see how it goes, thanks mods.

--- Laurie
Yeah, I think you better stay out...them young liberals are tough . .. :lol:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I'm hanging in there (Kenny in birthday suit and all :(sad ) so that I can see DF's Octavia and the report from AGS or GIA.

I hope I'll last that long :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1412104193|3759321 said:
Someone up there posted about "not being able to take constructive criticism." I remember 3 threads (mine was one of them) where the OPs were attacked and piled on unmercifully. The "opinions" given seemed to be agreed upon according to friendships, were far from kind, and were delivered with a shove it down your throat mentality. And even after a couple practically pegged posters to stop, they were made fun of through cruel icons and pictures.

After that I could see why no one out of the loop would want to post anything of substance anymore.
They don't bother me b/c I have thick skins!...:praise:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This drips with victim mentality. :nono:

Like DF I also just roll with the punches.
If it gets to a certain point I just stop responding to a person.

I don't miss the overly-sensitive who have left. You know what they say, if you can't take the heat ...
I'd much rather have a forum that's jumping, interesting and challenging.
How many baskets of puppies can you say Aww! for?

What did you expect ... starting a thread on children on leashes?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1412118362|3759467 said:
I'm hanging in there (Kenny in birthday suit and all :(sad ) so that I can see DF's Octavia and the report from AGS or GIA.
Hi isaku nice to see ya... :wavey: hope to see the AGS report within the next few days.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1412120813|3759490 said:
Hi isaku nice to see ya... :wavey: hope to see the AGS report within the next few days.

DF, did they at least tell you whether your Octavia is a boy or a girl?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412121340|3759498 said:
Dancing Fire|1412120813|3759490 said:

DF, did they at least tell you whether your Octavia is a boy or a girl?
Nope, waiting to hear from Jon.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1412119739|3759479 said:

This drips with victim mentality. :nono:

Like DF I also just roll with the punches.
If it gets to a certain point I just stop responding to a person.

I don't miss the overly-sensitive who have left. You know what they say, if you can't take the heat ...
I'd much rather have a forum that's jumping, interesting and challenging.
How many baskets of puppies can you say Aww! for?

What did you expect ... starting a thread on children on leashes?

My dear Kenny. You are misunderstanding my response. The thread question asked - Why is ebay so slow. Of course, you would rather have a jumping, interesting forum. Well, sane people who have so many other options out there, apparently do not want to deal with bullies. Kenny, in many instances, you do not seem to know when to stop taunting. So you do not miss the overly sensitive. Well, then when you no longer care about how you treat, then you should not be surprised why you can hear crickets on this forum.

As far as a victim mentality, I worked in the public school system at the middle school level. Nothing anyone on here can throw at me to top that. But like other apparently missing posters, we have found other places where we can participate in stimulating conversations without the drama. Might be the reason why those places are still very busy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results