shape
carat
color
clarity

2Carat Emerald Cut Diamond ASET Need Help!!!!

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Hi-

First time posting but long time reader. I know that specs mean nothing with step cut diamonds such as emerald cut diamonds but I am posting the specs just for completeness. I have a picture of the stone and an ASET of the stone that I am looking at. From the information that I have read here I think the ASET looks good but I am a newbie reading ASETs. There is a single dark band on the left side that I am little nervous about but doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me given some of the many ASETs images I have viewed that were still recommended purchases here.

I know people will say pay for what you can see but I and my potential fiance both suffer from OCPD and unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, want a mind clean stone. Plus given the price point I am spending it is not that big a difference in price to go from a VVS stone down to a VS1 stone. It would be one thing if I was picking up carat weight then it would be a consideration but from the months of searching for a stone I haven't seen a big enough difference to justify going down for me.

So, currently I am looking at a:
2.13 carat
F color
VVS1 clarity
EX/EX symmetry/polish
No fluorescence
depth % - 68
table % - 66
l/w - 1.4 (my preference is 1.4-1.5 so this is perfect for me and the style of the setting)

__SPEC SEARCH FOR IF THIS IS NOT THE STONE__

Carat - 2-3 carats (must be at least 2.0 not 1.99)
Color - D-F
Clarity - F - VVS2 (if the size and cut are magnificent may consider a VS1 but definitely nothing less)
Sym/Pol - Ex-VG
Depth % - 59-70 (preferably 61-67)
Table % - 57-70 (preferably 61-69)
Fluorescence - none even if believed to have no negative impact
L/W - 1.3 - 1.6 (preferably 1.4-1.5 like more rectangular in shape)

Like stones with extra facet on the bottom but not a deal breaker.

My budget is $25k for the stone and a total for the setting is $28k. I am bringing the stone into the Jeweler tomorrow for them to inspect in person. But I wanted to get some feedback from fellow PSer.

Here is an image of the stone and its ASET:

For reference I am interested in a split shank setting. I prefer a thinner shank with v-cut pave diamonds and on the basket a "D" in black diamonds (but I am working out those details) might have to do white diamonds. I like the idea of fancy yellow diamonds as well but afraid the yellow gold behind them will reflect in the stone. The design is inspired by the R5774 Leon Mege ring but I have several changes I am making. One major change I am considering is I don't want the bright cut pave shank, I prefer less metal and I understand that it will be more delicate but she is the type to take it off if she is doing anything remotely possible of damaging the ring. Another major change is I want the split to come down the end of the inside of her finger.

Basket view (blurry):

Look forward to all the help, comments, and suggestions. What do you think of the ASET? The Stone?

gia2176200702_2.jpg

_286.jpeg

r5774_50b5038f699f1.jpg

v_basket.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a link to it by any chance where its in motion???

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
A link to the diamond in motion? No... but there is a link to the leon mege oringial setting on youtube at http://youtu.be/tr9c3U8IF-c

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GQsOwn|1412112984|3759410 said:
A link to the diamond in motion? No... but there is a link to the leon mege oringial setting on youtube at http://youtu.be/tr9c3U8IF-c

Love the setting! It's really beautiful and really shows off an emerald cut.

I'm not an emerald cut expert and really don't know what to say about your emerald. I can't look at the aset and say its
really fantastic, nor can I say its a dud. It's somewhere in between (IMO) and you need some other more expert folks
to say "Yep, its a winner".

I was hoping Karl would see this and could comment but I don't think he can comment on other vendors stones unless it's
a specific knowledge type question. Gypsy has an asscher so she'll be able to give you some advice.

Edit - I do like the shape of the stone and the faceting on it.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Yes, I love the setting too and I agree I think it shows off the emerald cut diamond very well.

At least it is not a dud to your eye. I appreciate your feedback. I am hoping Gypsy comments as well, much of the information I have on picking diamonds came from her advice or links she has cited to as a reference.

Again thank you for the comments and I am glad you loved the setting... Given me confidence in my selection.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not an EC expert, but if I'm reading the ASET correctly, then it looks great because there is nearly no white (leakage). I'd wait for Gypsy though.

What a gorgeous ring!

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comment... That was my thinking very little white and a lot of red and green to add brightness and contrast.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone is fantastic. I love it.

Can I make a suggestion on the setting though? Feel free to completely ignore me, but.. I prefer EC split shanks to have a less exaggerated split like the one below. I just wanted to give you an option for a slightly different split shank, so that you could see what your options are.

r1311_020lm_wx.jpg

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
Whew!!!!! A huge relief in this process to have your blessing on the stone!!! Honestly, I could not have picked the stone out but for you and the other PSer advice. I have read a lot of the post on here and put my excel spreadsheet through it weeding out diamonds to finally find the "perfect-for-me" diamond. Barring any hiccups in the personal inspection tomorrow, I will start the CAD procedure for designing the setting.

I will be sure to have more questions and hope to get the opinion of everyone here. I just read the link you posted on CAD design process. Thanks!!!

No need to completely ignore you but I really like the split to be even more exaggerated than in the image attached. One day randomly I showed her the video of the ring and she asked me if I preferred the split to be less, exactly the same, or more. I said more and then showed her a picture of Beyonce's split shank (ashamed I am admitting this) and she was blown away (not at all because it's a 15 ct flawless emerald cut or because it is Beyonce :lol: ) but she said she like the open look.

What do you think about the bright cut pave versus the fishtail/v-cut pave? I do know she doesn't mind delicate things. We are both very meticulous and careful with our possessions.

For example:

screen_shot_2014-06-25_at_11.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do I think?

I think that if you REALLY want to get kind of close to that look you should be looking at a hand forged setting and get those shanks as TINY as possible if you want something that has that look. I LOVE bright cut pave frankly. It's actually my favorite type of pave for split shanks. BUT that said, I would want 1.0-1.1mm stones (1/2 pointers or 3/4s pointers at the LARGEST) for bright cut pave. No bigger than that (with a STRONG preference for the 1/2 pointers). And I would want Steven or Victor to do it. I would not want bulky 1 point brightcut CAST split shanks for a stone of your size at all.

If you live near a decent metro area see if you can find a Daniel K dealer and go see his pave. It's some of the loveliest bright cut pave I have ever seen in person. And he does freaking AMAZING split shanks for them (prices are outrageous though, FYI).

The key to bright cut is delicacy and hand forging.

What does that mean? 5.5-6k for that setting, is what that means.

GQsOwn

Rough_Rock
I am seriously considering the bright cut pave. I love it too! My only concern I just don't want it bulky.The current jeweler I am working with sent me a few images of their work and the different types of design I could choose from as far as the pave is concerned. I think at this point that is the thing I am hung up on the most. I love Steven and Leon's work. I am not familiar with what Victor you are referring to. Can you provide full name or link to some of his work?

I don't necessarily want the bands as thin as I showed in the previous picture but I want the split to be as far down as the split in the previous picture. My jeweler, like you, suggested .01 carat stones with the squares at 1mm each.

This first image here is probably about the width that I go with (1mm each at .01 carats):

This second image is the more secure option bead setting recommended by my jeweler:

Oh and Daniel K is simply amazing.

I am going to see about hand forged versus CAD. I have read a few articles/forum discussions on here. I am not opposed to the 5.5k-6k setting cost but now that I have found my dream stone I am really trying to stay at my $28k budget. So, I have about $3500 to "play" with for the setting. And if I have learned anything it is set a budget and stick to it.

As of today, the plan is the setting would be .9 ctw with F color VS1 stones on the shank and black diamonds on the basket. I am excited to start the design process.

merideth_s_ring.jpg

clark_side_view_bead_set.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, your jewelers IS NOT recommending the same thing I am. .01 is not 1mm. .01 is a ONE pointer.
.005 is 1mm. Which is a 1/2 pointer.

.01 is 1.25 mm which is too big. And likely they are doing CAST manufacturing which for the CLOSEST match to the look you want with the delicacy you need is NOT going to be good enough. You need handforged which is a different maufacturing style and allows for thinner stronger metal than Casting does. It is a superior method of manufacture for delicate pave styles.

Which is why I recommended Steven And Victor. I personally would not work Leon Mege, though his work is well photographed, and you can do a search on Pricescope to see what other's experiences have been with Leon Mege and make up your own mind if you would want to work with him.

Victor is Victor Canera, please do a search on here and you will see MANY examples of his work. I'll start you off with the primary Victor thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/[/URL]

Here is his website; http://www.victorcanera.com/

The jeweler you are working with probably don't have the skill to set .005 stones. VERY few vendors do.

The pave quality I am talking about you needing isn't even Top 10% of Jewelers. Or even Top 1% of Jewelers. The pave quality you need is VERY VERY VERY rare.

What is the difference you ask between the 1/2 point stones I am recommending. Remember the picture I posted above. Here is is below. Look at the size of the diamonds where there is ONE shank (larger diamonds further down) and compare that to the size of the diamonds in the SPLIT part of the shank (small diamonds).

That about the size the difference between. 1.25 versus 1.0 mm doesn't sound like a lot but it IS when you are talking pave.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/r1311_020lm_wx.jpg[img]

Please read this PSA: [url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426][URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426[/url][/URL]

Handforging is VERY different than Casting. It is much more labor intensive and is therefore much more expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results