shape
carat
color
clarity

STD's

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally thought this was venereal disease. Imagine my shock at hearing brides were sending them out!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny! My first thought when seeing the thread title was "What the heck is April Baby asking about sexually transmitted diseases?"

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:

Sexually transmitted "diseases" are now referred to as "STI's" or "sexually transmitted infections." I wonder if the re-naming had anything to do with the wedding industry's save-the-date thing? I have to admit, I used to lurk a fair amount in LIW and BWW and every time I saw a thread topic about STD's I thought diseases, not dates!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brides are sending out STDs? :o
What's this world coming to? :nono:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411970655|3758497 said:
Brides are sending out STDs? :o
What's this world coming to? :nono:

COUPLES are! :shock:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i saw the title and i HAD To look!!!!! hahahahahaha.

then i got curious as i had no idea what it meant apart from the disease which is now known as infections.... Save the date...

hehehehee'

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny thing is I knew this was going to be about postal notifications, not diseases

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's my most hated term. Seriously. I also think they're a tremendous waste of money. And I DO this stuff.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a way to start married life! With an STD! :o

I'm glad you explained it -- I would've been mad if a friend wanted to give me an STD!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When exactly did sending STD's start? I have never gotten one :dance:

I can see this going down hill quickly!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1412017644|3758735 said:
It's my most hated term. Seriously. I also think they're a tremendous waste of money. And I DO this stuff.

Haha I love this! We didn't send them for our wedding in 2008 but the last few weddings we've gone to have done them. One was a bit of a destination wedding so it made some sense but the others, who knows?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People have been sending them for at least ten years. I know that because we got one, mailed from Texas, from a couple we did not know, for a wedding in NY state, while we were living in NJ. I would have notified the couple of the mistake, but there was no return address on it. (Weeks later, we got the invitation, and I sent that back immediately, hoping they would find the correct address for the other Mr and Mrs KK, I had visions of distant relatives thinking they'd been snubbed!)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They should all come with glitter, as it is known as the herpes of the craft world. :dance:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Re: the medical switch of name from "std" to "sti" - Intentional re-branding from the medical community because people are more likely to get treatment for an "infection" as opposed to a "disease".

Infection sounds much more curable, so people are more likely to get prompt treatment.

Save the dates are great for weddings that are more than a year away (I sent them during my 2 year engagement).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1412042395|3758944 said:
ame|1412017644|3758735 said:

Haha I love this! We didn't send them for our wedding in 2008 but the last few weddings we've gone to have done them. One was a bit of a destination wedding so it made some sense but the others, who knows?

The main "intention" of these things was to alert people to save your date on their calendar in the event of a destination wedding and or a holiday weekend wedding. It was intended so the guests could start preparing their travel. Now it's become a "thing", as in "everyone must do them" in the last two to three years. I haven't worked a wedding that didn't have them in that long, anyway. Again, total waste of money. I didn't do them for mine, and I had a holiday weekend wedding.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have received one STD, probably because I was playing my flute in the wedding. We didn't send any out ourselves.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results