shape
carat
color
clarity

<2mm platinum band = bending?

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
I have no idea where else to put this topic. Please let me know if you think it needs to be moved.

I'm shopping around for wedding bands (since we are doing the setting very soon, I thought maybe I'd try and negotiate a discount if we purchase together). Looking at platinum for sure, but not quite sure on the style or width yet. I plan on taking off my engagement ring for washing hands/putting on lotion, but taking the wedding band off only for super grippy activities like kayaking.

cl140.jpg

^That's the setting, so I was thinking delicate milgrain, beading, ruled out twist (might accumulate gunk inside).

Question: Would a platinum band < 2 mm width bend after time? (I'm particularly worried about gripping like the steering wheel).

ETA: I found Kenny's post from 2012, someone should really sticky that, it's amazingly helpful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi alpackie, I can't answer your question definitively, but I've been on PS for a few years now and can't recall any situations where someone's platinum band was bent. I have a 2mm platinum band that I bought used, and it has held up well - although I tend to take my rings off when doing things that could possibly damage them. I guess it's possible for any metal to bend if the pressure put on it is great enough, but I think for everyday activities, such as driving, the platinum band will hold up well.

Love your ering setting! :love:

Just to clarify - you're talking about a plain band with no diamonds, right? I think you would still be ok with a diamond band as well, though.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a plain 2mm yellow gold band and I don't take it off (unless I am wearing my 5 stone) I do everything in this ring and while I have only had it for about 4 years I have had no issues what so ever with bending or anything of the sort! my suggestion to you is make sure it is a nice thick band preferably comfort fit and you shouldn't have any issues!

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1412351733|3761374 said:
Hi alpackie, I can't answer your question definitively, but I've been on PS for a few years now and can't recall any situations where someone's platinum band was bent. I have a 2mm platinum band that I bought used, and it has held up well - although I tend to take my rings off when doing things that could possibly damage them. I guess it's possible for any metal to bend if the pressure put on it is great enough, but I think for everyday activities, such as driving, the platinum band will hold up well.

Love your ering setting! :love:

Just to clarify - you're talking about a plain band with no diamonds, right? I think you would still be ok with a diamond band as well, though.
Thank you junebug! I'm so excited cause he's put half down on the setting and it's in the works! Danhov is slow though, and usually takes 4 weeks to deliver... :boohoo:
And yes, I was thinking a plain band with no diamonds, just so small details like milgrain or beading:
milgrain_0.jpg

diamondrnglover said:
I have a plain 2mm yellow gold band and I don't take it off (unless I am wearing my 5 stone) I do everything in this ring and while I have only had it for about 4 years I have had no issues what so ever with bending or anything of the sort! my suggestion to you is make sure it is a nice thick band preferably comfort fit and you shouldn't have any issues!
Thank you so much! I think I'm going to end up waiting until the engagement ring is done, and then go in person to either get a mold or have it measured. I want to get the SO's band there too! Matchings!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results