shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut Diamond Advice Requested

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
I'm searching for a cushion cut diamond and have been doing quite a bit of research recently. PS has been quite helpful and I'm looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!

The girlfriend wants a a cushion cut diamond in a simple, solitaire setting (probably platinum). She doesn't want anything extravagant/flashy (which is great for the wallet), but I want to make sure it's a great diamond even if it isn't huge. I haven't been able to gather much more information than that. My budget is ~$15k, but I'm willing to spend a bit more.

I've visited a variety of websites and met two people in-person (one of which was a recommendation). My gut is making me lean towards Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) b/c of the high praise from reviews I've read online. I'm not only searching for a H&A diamond, it's just that I feel I'm getting the high quality and best info from BGD and they happen to sell H&A.

Questions:
1) Of the 3 diamonds below, which is the best value? What are your opinions of each?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../1.260-f-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027010
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.208-e-vvs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104066027014
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../1.530-f-si1-cushion-diamond-ags-104066516014

2) Any other recommendations on where to look? I'm definitely not going to buy without ASET, Idealscope, and/or DiamXray images. I've visited Brilliance, Blue Nile, James Allen, B2C, Union Diamonds, and others. Some of these vendors didn't have the requested imaging which eliminates a potential purchase.

3) What is the best way to negotiate with BGD, if at all? Is there a way to maximize value?

4) In terms of priority, I want a very high quality cut diamond. Next in terms of priority is color (willing to go down to a G - anything lower seems too yellow) and then clarify (down to VS1). Should I be more willing to open my acceptable range?

Ideally, I'd like to get something in the 1.4-1.5 carat range and F/VS1 range within my budget. The 1.53 ct ring is decent, but I'm concerned about the SI1 clarity b/c I can see the imperfections in the video.

I appreciate all the feedback!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel that 1.2 cts in a cushion is going to appear really small for spending $15k. But of those three, certainly the 1.53 ct stone would be the most desirable. You do need to ask if it is really eyeclean since it is SI1 and appears to have some inclusions under the table. The 1.7 ct G VS1 is great, but it is higher, obviously. I'd be fine with G color in these stones. Just don't see much else at BG.

BG has great diamonds, but I honestly wanted to recommend some settings for that stone, but their pictures are just awful. They do not give a head-on view or a full profile view. They really need to redo their pictures! But the one I can recall that is good for a cushion is the Novella because it is similar to the Tiffany Novo. There is one with diamonds on the shank, too.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/novela-platinum-5517p

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You had a few other questions:

2) Good Old Gold usually has the best selection of cushions because they carry more than one style, but I am not seeing anything that is going to be better than the 1.5 or 1.7 at BG at the moment.

3) Always ask if they can discount. You never know unless you ask, but don't worry too much if they don't. These online vendors don't have high mark-up. But what would be ideal is if they'd discount the 1.7 G VS1 enough to allow it to work for the upper end of your budget.

4) I think G color is great for a cushion and I wouldn't go lower than SI1. I prefer VS, when possible, personally. I would not go higher than F color or smaller than 1.5 cts in a cushion.

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight, DiamondSeeker. Yes, I took a look at the 1.7 ct stone as well. It's very nice but that'll be pushing my budget - although I haven't completely ruled it out yet. I'm wondering if I'll get buyer's remorse in approximately one year if I opt for a smaller stone now. I guess I can always upgrade later, but I don't want to deal with the hassle.

I've also researched on GOG and have learned quite a bit from their YouTube postings. How often does BGD or any other online retailer get new inventory? I'm wondering if it makes sense to continue researching the next 4-6 weeks b/c I'd like to get a beautiful diamond for a great price. Ideally, I'd purchase before Dec 2014.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.53 would be my choice if its eye-clean. I'd rather spend my money on a visible size difference than clarity as long as long as
the stone is eye-clean.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
RedShamrock7|1412086550|3759179 said:
I've also researched on GOG and have learned quite a bit from their YouTube postings. How often does BGD or any other online retailer get new inventory? I'm wondering if it makes sense to continue researching the next 4-6 weeks b/c I'd like to get a beautiful diamond for a great price. Ideally, I'd purchase before Dec 2014.

I would reach out to the respective vendors and ask if they are expecting any inventory. December is not that far away, so if any of these proprietary cuts are what you're looking for, they should be able to provide you more detail. Likely, the stones expected by December are already in the pipeline, or have been scheduled, so timing detail may be available.

Even, "we're expecting a new shipment around the beginning of November" would be enough of a ballpark for you to know when/if new relevant stones will be available, or whether you should stick with your options, as-is. In the past, I have spoken with both the vendors you're looking at, and have been able to get this advance info previously, so hopefully it is available.

Best of luck!

RedShamrock7

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. I will reach out to see what’s in the pipeline at certain vendors.

Any other feedback related to the value of the diamonds above? For example, is the 1.53 ct / F / SI1 a good value at $16k? Or is there more value in the 1.715 ct / G / VS1 at $21k vs the 2.01 ct / F / VS1 at $22k (see details below)? I know this is subjective but looking for opinions from those who are passionate about diamonds and helping others.

In addition, I’d also be open to setting recommendations. I haven’t thought about it much yet but am thinking something simple but with a small touch of uniqueness (platinum). Many thanks for feedback.

1.715 ct / G / VS1
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../1.715-g-vs1-cushion-diamond-ags-104066516011

2.01 ct / F / VS1
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-305442 305442_0.jpg
305442__-__sarin_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results