shape
carat
color
clarity

Major Help needed on setting this ROSE cut PEAR!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
dawnxcui|1412040054|3758918 said:
i LOVE pear shaped diamonds, not a big fan of the "normal" pear, mostly because i dont like the slightest look of a bow tie.

i've seen round hearts and arrow diamonds, and wasn't very wow'd by the "fire and sparkles" by it. so i dont think i'd be comparing my ring to the girl next to be and be disappointed.

the only thing that i've kinda liked and seen was the AVC by GOG, but even then, the so called "chunky" look wasn't as "chunky" as i had envisioned or wanted. and for it to be as chunky as i want it to be it'll probably had to be a 5ct AVC the size of mom2boys's which will be way out of my budget for the first ring.

thats why when i saw this ring, i thought...this is perfect for me. it doesnt have the bow tie and it's chunky enough. the size is to die for and it wouldnt be super blingy that blinds people.

i've seen small rose cuts but nothing of this size, the "see thru" idea is the same but i dont think it'll look the same as one this size.

there's really no place to go to see one in person...even the tiffany cobblestone is of a much smaller size.
1. Blake Lively's engagement ring (the one with the oval diamond in rose gold pave shank) is not a rose cut. Thats a traditionally brilliant cut oval diamond. Your stone will not look at all like that.

2. Size means that the window you see will be even bigger than the small rose cuts.

3. Order a fakey cheap rose cut. Or just go to a jewelry store and turn a faceted gem upside down. It's the same basic principle and will act very similarly. In fact, on ebay, some sellers turn badly cut stones upside down and call it a rose cut to make it sound more valuable/desirable. You don't want to try to resell jewelry on the secondhand market - most people are lucky to recoup 50% of their initial investment. If you're going to spend $16k on a ring, you need to know what you're getting into. If you get a rose cut, make sure that it's one with a flat back.

4. Perhaps, at the very least, I would suggest asking Grace to take a video in the least ideal lighting conditions for the rose cut. And perhaps taking a video of it with an OEC so you can see the difference.

I love rose cuts, but I know several people who thought they liked them until they saw them in real life.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drk14|1412044918|3758975 said:
There are clearly people out there who love rose cut diamonds, and obviously, such individuals appreciate qualities other than those that are prized in modern brilliant cuts (i.e., scintillation, brightness, contrast, et al.).

Yes obviously.
Read my posts again.
That's why I said look at rose cut pears next to well-cut conventional pears in person first.
Especially before buying and setting an un-returnable rose cut.
After viewing if her preference is still for the rose cut, go for it.
I've also stated I think rose cuts are beautiful.

Don't twist what I've posted and suggest I'm bashing rose cuts or insulting their admirers. :roll:

This OP has stated clearly she is not informed about rose cuts, hasn't seen one, and didn't even understand why everyone was recommending the backing.

Recommending an in-person education is a good thing.
Photographs, lighting, videos can all be done to flatter the cut ... especially if not shot head-on with something right behind and preferably touching the stone to illustrate the windowing.
Lots of money at stake here to risk on a sight unseen specialty cut.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
mom2boys|1412045756|3758984 said:
These pics of custom projects that JBG has done with rose cut pears for other clients may also be helpful to you in your decision:
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Custom-Work/182tcw-Rose-Cut-Diamond-DBTY/
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Custom-Work/Bezel-Rings/

thanks! i've looked through all the rose cut diamonds i can find on the internet before my bf purchased the stone.
i think you've all just reassured my love for rose cut diamonds.
my bf said if i really dont like it, we'll just set it as a necklace in a few years and buy another upgrade ring :lol: :D :D :lol:
this is why he's "the one" haha <3

now. on to the real question! how do i perfect this setting :)

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1412045101|3758978 said:
dawnxcui|1412040054|3758918 said:
i LOVE pear shaped diamonds, not a big fan of the "normal" pear, mostly because i dont like the slightest look of a bow tie.

i've seen round hearts and arrow diamonds, and wasn't very wow'd by the "fire and sparkles" by it. so i dont think i'd be comparing my ring to the girl next to be and be disappointed.

the only thing that i've kinda liked and seen was the AVC by GOG, but even then, the so called "chunky" look wasn't as "chunky" as i had envisioned or wanted. and for it to be as chunky as i want it to be it'll probably had to be a 5ct AVC the size of mom2boys's which will be way out of my budget for the first ring.

thats why when i saw this ring, i thought...this is perfect for me. it doesnt have the bow tie and it's chunky enough. the size is to die for and it wouldnt be super blingy that blinds people.

i've seen small rose cuts but nothing of this size, the "see thru" idea is the same but i dont think it'll look the same as one this size.

there's really no place to go to see one in person...even the tiffany cobblestone is of a much smaller size.
1. Blake Lively's engagement ring (the one with the oval diamond in rose gold pave shank) is not a rose cut. Thats a traditionally brilliant cut oval diamond. Your stone will not look at all like that. clearly i wasnt comparing her pink oval with my rose cut pear....i was talking about if i had a big doughnut then my wedding band would sit slanted...

2. Size means that the window you see will be even bigger than the small rose cuts.

3. Order a fakey cheap rose cut. Or just go to a jewelry store and turn a faceted gem upside down. It's the same basic principle and will act very similarly. In fact, on ebay, some sellers turn badly cut stones upside down and call it a rose cut to make it sound more valuable/desirable. You don't want to try to resell jewelry on the secondhand market - most people are lucky to recoup 50% of their initial investment. If you're going to spend $16k on a ring, you need to know what you're getting into. If you get a rose cut, make sure that it's one with a flat back. i know the idea of the rose cut and how they look. looking at a small gem upside down won't help me with my questions regarding the setting... i'm in no way doubting the center stone. all along i was just asking for help on the setting.

4. Perhaps, at the very least, I would suggest asking Grace to take a video in the least ideal lighting conditions for the rose cut. And perhaps taking a video of it with an OEC so you can see the difference. i did...and she posted them...i'm pretty sure i added more pictures of indoor lighting and linked to the indoor lighting video in a previous post.

I love rose cuts, but I know several people who thought they liked them until they saw them in real life.

i dont think i need to be talked out of buying a rose cut... i will love my diamond and i dont need to see it in person lol it's almost the feeling of ur unborn child that you've never seen haha..
just need some help with setting it since i dont want a bezel

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nuff said.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1412043811|3758960 said:
Niel|1412040781|3758926 said:
dawnxcui said:
Niel|1412038507|3758903 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1412037775|3758895 said:
I think it's going to be a little tricky no matter what. The wedding band could also be done as an enhancer type deal rather than a solid band. These are all good things to think about now before the ring is made. Like this. Obviously not really a stand alone ring but it could work nicely for the set if worn together.
it is tricky. That ring youd have to attach to the e ring, as youd never be able to wear it alone, and you couldnt let it move around at all.

I like the way this is done, keeps metal from being under the stone yet blocks the w band from going under it. It wont sit flush, though. I prefer that, but i know it can bother some quite a bit.

if you decide to keep the metal struts under the stone like the current cad version, it wont sit exactly flush, but pretty close

ya...having a giant plate sitting on my finger will annoy the crap out of me.
i dont mind if the w band doesnt sit flush with my e ring. i think it's nice to have a little gap between them.
i could always make the pear doughnut bigger so it's almost the same size as the halo but smaller so the struts are still a little slanted rather than straight up and down.
that way the future w band will sit against the doughnut but be below the halo and not the center diamond.

what do you think?
The side view pick I attached doesn't have any plate on your skin,so that's nothing to worry about, it's essentially a huge donut, if you want to look at it that say. It essentially has the donut the size of the stone, that way there isn't any metal directly under it. It would still be smaller than the halo that way. And it would keep any wedding band from slipping under the stone

we're making progress!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :mrgreen:
is this the same ring? if so i'm fine with the doughnut being just slightly smaller than the halo so it sits there to prevent the w band from slipping under the diamond.

totally digging the slanted band look if that's how mine will end up with. :lol:

Yeah I do think that's how your band would look. I totally love it too! So I'm with you there. And I understood you weren't comparing your ring to hers. And yeah the side view posted is just the side view of that DK ring posted above. And as you can see, its pretty see though.
Dont get annoyed by some of the posts here. For the most part they are trying to help. Sounds like they just want you to avoid a purchase you'd regret, but like you said you've seen them in person, you've looked at videos. So sounds like you did your homework. If thats true then don't worry about that. :)

And Kenny I think its things like this that seem a bit more rude than helpful
Yes it is possible that her opinion will be that the astonishing fire, sparkle, contrast, and scintillation of well-cut diamond is not desirable :roll:

I agree with drk in that the Ferrari analogy isn't quite accurate. You're not buying a rose cut for its performance, in that way it is like an old car. It doesn't run like the new gals, but that's not why you get one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern is the OP buying a type of cut she's never seen in person before, spending $16k for a diamond that cannot be returned (out of the time period). Also, because she's never seen how a rose cut behaves in person, it is difficult for me to advice design-wise what she might want to play up/down in the diamond. The OP needs to see how it behaves outside of ideal light conditions; low light, indoor light, etc.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Just popping in to say how much I love your diamond. It reminds me of a giant tear come to life. The scene in Dracula where he changes her tears into diamonds, like that only bigger and more beautiful. Very romantic looking. I think you will love your new diamond and the fact that it won't look like everyone else's is only a plus in my opinion!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
makemepretty|1412074710|3759093 said:
Just popping in to say how much I love your diamond. It reminds me of a giant tear come to life. The scene in Dracula where he changes her tears into diamonds, like that only bigger and more beautiful. Very romantic looking. I think you will love your new diamond and the fact that it won't look like everyone else's is only a plus in my opinion!
i've never seen dradula but i can just imagine how awesome that scene must've looked haaha :appl: :appl:
the only thing that concerns me a little is the color of the diamond. it's said to be a K whereas the melees are going to be much whiter. but i think i was told that rose cuts face up whiter than their GIA grading. Grace also said it faces up pretty white too. so fingers crossed :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1412093002|3759238 said:
makemepretty|1412074710|3759093 said:
i've never seen dradula but i can just imagine how awesome that scene must've looked haaha :appl: :appl:
the only thing that concerns me a little is the color of the diamond. it's said to be a K whereas the melees are going to be much whiter. but i think i was told that rose cuts face up whiter than their GIA grading. Grace also said it faces up pretty white too. so fingers crossed :)
The thing is that melee will look so drastically different I think the color difference won't really be a huge issue. Its like apples and oranges.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The answers to your questions are all dependent on your ability to pick up the colour difference and your tolerance level, hence I do not feel comfortable recommending one over the other. Some love that contrast, some prefer it to not be so obvious. Some can "see" it whilst others cannot.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but I'm not able to rad each and every post on these 3 pages, but.... I think you're going to have a really striking and unique ring. It sounds gorgeous!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is going to be gorgeous. Can hardly wait to see this on your finger! :love: :love: :love:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that people raised some really good points here. Rose cuts are often a love or hate thing, they are not conventional, many of us want a diamond with optimal light return. Me, I am torn, I am all for cut and I do not think I can get used to the idea of a diamond without a pavilion. I think I could accept a rose cut more if it had the same faceting but would have a pavilion too. I love certain vintage cuts, I love big, chunky facets but I also love diamonds because their ability to return light is quite unparalleled.

The other problem I have; setting a rose cut. Like I said before many craftsmen experienced with this type of cut will use a closed setting, I would want to have a closed back, meaning metal behind the stone and then you want foiling most likely too and well to put it bluntly I hate the idea of foiling a diamond. In a very old antique piece, ok, then I would probably love the entire piece but foiling and this type of setting nowadays makes no sense to me and it is also not easy to keep clean. With a stone that already has problems with light return that is not a good thing. So, I am sorry OP, I mean absolutely no offense but just not sure about this idea. I am also not sure how secure this type of setting will be for your rose cut pear; I cannot imagine it can be set as securely in an open setting as a diamond with a pavilion could. It will not "sit" in the setting.

I have a very old piece with simply cut, unpolished diamonds, that is cool, I would not want to touch them as it would affect the integrity of the piece but today we can get many vintage cuts that offer the look of chunky faceting and great light return at the same time. Just food for thought and I hope you do not mind my speaking my mind OP.

As to the melee, yes I would keep them very small too, 1.3 mm (about 1 pointers) is the absolute largest I would go but ideally I would use 1-1.2 mms. This would require a lot of skill though. You are likely fine with 1.3-s, you just do not want to create a huge ring with a bulky look.

I think if you stick to the idea of rose cut, I would avoid windowing and showing finger. That would really disturb me and it may disturb you.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OP, I also wanted to add that I understand your point about normal pears; my fave shape is also the pear. I also cannot stand bow ties. That said, there exist pears without bow ties if very very few of them but they do. Ok, my situation is easier with FCDs perhaps, I have seen very few whites without a bow tie. Same as in ovals. BUT you CAN get a stunning traditional pear, not trying to convince you but I think you should look around and look at a lot of normal pears and rose cut pears too.

As to the setting ideas again, the plate is fine but I still have some concerns about the setting not being secure enough and of course about light return. If you do this, it will be lovely I am absolutely sure but make sure you understand the pitfalls if you go this route. I would not have raised these points but others have too. I think it is fine to be honest and we are really not trying to be mean or change your taste, just making sure you make the best decision for you.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
OVincze|1412107089|3759341 said:
OP, I also wanted to add that I understand your point about normal pears; my fave shape is also the pear. I also cannot stand bow ties. That said, there exist pears without bow ties if very very few of them but they do. Ok, my situation is easier with FCDs perhaps, I have seen very few whites without a bow tie. Same as in ovals. BUT you CAN get a stunning traditional pear, not trying to convince you but I think you should look around and look at a lot of normal pears and rose cut pears too.
i have, but i don't like the look of normal pears, mainly due to the bowtie but also the crushed-up-ness of the facets are much smaller near the tip and bigger near the body. it just seems odd to me

i was very close in buying an AVC though...one of my earlier posts was about that, but shortly after i found this rose cut and fell in love with it. i love the big facets and how if it's angled right it gives a big flash. honestly i only liked the 4 big facets in an AVC and didn't really care much for the smaller facets if that makes sense LOL just not into the crushed ice look

As to the setting ideas again, the plate is fine but I still have some concerns about the setting not being secure enough and of course about light return. If you do this, it will be lovely I am absolutely sure but make sure you understand the pitfalls if you go this route. I would not have raised these points but others have too. I think it is fine to be honest and we are really not trying to be mean or change your taste, just making sure you make the best decision for you.:) appreciate it

i like being able to see my skin through the diamond. i guess it's a personal preference kind of thing. i'm not too worried about how secure the setting is, i mean...i trust DK and grace's expert opinion. when i mentioned that i wanted to set this diamond in a halo like that, they didnt voice any concerns about it not being secure. but i will ask them explicitly again to ensure that the diamond is secure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask him to add a few more prongs?

Did you ask him about the bigger bezel? He made that one rose cut solitaire, so I'm sure he can do it lol ;-)

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1412108535|3759360 said:

Did you ask him about the bigger bezel? He mad that one rose cut solitaire, so I'm sure he can do it lol ;-)
someone's more anxious than i am :razz:
i've realized his response time is 3~4 days LOL so i'll wait patiently and keep you updated when he responds.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1412108627|3759361 said:

Did you ask him about the bigger bezel? He mad that one rose cut solitaire, so I'm sure he can do it lol ;-)
i've realized his response time is 3~4 days LOL so i'll wait patiently and keep you updated when he responds.
Hahaha maybe... I just can't wait to see your new cads.

Also what are your thoughts about how big it will be on your hand? I don't remember your initial thoughts on it. I feel like i don't even know what to say if i saw it IRL

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1412109130|3759370 said:
dawnxcui|1412108627|3759361 said:

Hahaha maybe... I just can't wait to see your new cads.

Also what are your thoughts about how big it will be on your hand? I don't remember your initial thoughts on it. I feel like i don't even know what to say if i saw it IRL

since you asked.... i think it'll be approximately this size including the halo.
*dont laugh*

20140930_2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The 4 facets you are talking about in the AVCs are on the pavilion. You won't get that kind of flash from a rose cut.

None of the images posted by Grace show what we are talking about - the stone being completely see through. You said in your first post:

(Feel free to comment on the diamond below and give your honest opinions on the stone, since i don't know too too much about rose cuts i'm hoping that i made a good choice *fingers crossed*)

and then later,
I am totally confused by this cupping, foiling, fancy raised up filigree talk...

if the rose cut looks anything like derbygal's old ring or the DK rose cut posted by Acinom OR the new pictures Grace uploaded (see below) i'll be happy with it.

I wouldnt think that the rose cut will look like a window...more so Swarovski crystals like how someone else described it.

i've seen small rose cuts but nothing of this size, the "see thru" idea is the same but i dont think it'll look the same as one this size

The above are why kenny and I are hammering this so much. And below are some images of what a rose cut looks like in less than ideal lighting. There are times where it will literally look like a pane of glass and have no sparkle. Keep in mind that when a vendor posts a picture, they are always going to post flattering photos. Why would a vendor post an unflattering photo when they want to sell an item? These are all from Lorraine Schwartz.

Huh. I just realized that I played with this diamond in Vegas. I didn't even remember it.

lorraine_schwartz.jpg

lorraine_schwartz2.jpg

lorraine_schwartz3.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Ya I like the glass look. I don't think I'll have a problem with it.
Those rosecuts are huge wow.

Omg if you played with it in vegas, Do you remember whether it was a nice diamond or not?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I see your points OP and yes it will be gorgeous I am sure, so many things are subjective in life. I cannot say I would not like a ring like this, I actually find the rose cut cushion Grace has really attractive. Sorry, I probably missed some posts as I admittedly do not always have time to read through everything in detail even though I really make an effort. I love the AVC, absolute stunners but yes with the same face up size they would cost a lot more too. People vary and vive la difference. Thanks for not taking what I said badly. Yes, I also see what you mean about some crushed ice in pears, to some that may be a huge fault. I guess to me a big window in the middle was a similar optical fault to a big bow tie as it also creates a dark area but again it is different and some would rather tolerate the windowing for sure. Anyhow, this is really cool because you will have something very unique and different from what everyone out there is wearing. From now on I will only comment on design related issues. Congrats!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
dawnxcui|1412111844|3759397 said:

Omg if you played with it in vegas, Do you remember whether it was a nice diamond or not?
I discovered this when I went back through my pictures from then because I remembered coveting the cushion and wanted to see if I took any pictures of it. I actually took video of it and of the cushion. They are being uploaded now, but I will post when they are completely up. I cannot post a link to my youtube page or my video due to PS policies, but I am very easy to find on there.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
OP why aren't you having the diamond sent to you for approval prior to sending to to David to be set? :confused: I can't imagine not doing this on a purchase of this importance and high cost. Especially for a type of diamond I hadn't seen before in person.

I am in Canada. I purchased an AVR last year, and had it set by David. First GOG sent the diamond to us, and then after living with it for a time, falling head over heels in love with it, being exactly sure of the type of setting I wanted, and insuring it with JM, we sent it to David for setting. We did pay extra in shipping costs- probably what amounted to around $200 CDN total (we used fedex for our carrier), but that is such a drop in the bucket when you are talking a a 10K+ purchase!

My ideas of the ring I wanted changed completely once I saw *my* diamond. It was well worth a couple extra hundred dollars, because I would not have chosen just the right setting for THIS diamond without seeing it first. I had never seen an AVR with my own eyes, only in videos and pics online, and nothing replaces real life experience.

Others on the thread have suggested seeing your diamond in person before you decide on a setting; I think this is the best possible course of action, and am confused about why that isn't an option for you?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1412113252|3759412 said:

I discovered this when I went back through my pictures from then because I remembered coveting the cushion and wanted to see if I took any pictures of it. I actually took video of it and of the cushion. They are being uploaded now, but I will post when they are completely up. I cannot post a link to my youtube page or my video due to PS policies, but I am very easy to find on there.

looks lovely in the video!! the cushion looks amazing too!
i wonder if i should set it the same way that cushion is set with the halo directly attached to the shank.

_22828.jpg

092-m.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
EvangelineG|1412113690|3759416 said:
OP why aren't you having the diamond sent to you for approval prior to sending to to David to be set? :confused: I can't imagine not doing this on a purchase of this importance and high cost. Especially for a type of diamond I hadn't seen before in person.

I am in Canada. I purchased an AVR last year, and had it set by David. First GOG sent the diamond to us, and then after living with it for a time, falling head over heels in love with it, being exactly sure of the type of setting I wanted, and insuring it with JM, we sent it to David for setting. We did pay extra in shipping costs- probably what amounted to around $200 CDN total (we used fedex for our carrier), but that is such a drop in the bucket when you are talking a a 10K+ purchase!

My ideas of the ring I wanted changed completely once I saw *my* diamond. It was well worth a couple extra hundred dollars, because I would not have chosen just the right setting for THIS diamond without seeing it first. I had never seen an AVR with my own eyes, only in videos and pics online, and nothing replaces real life experience.

Others on the thread have suggested seeing your diamond in person before you decide on a setting; I think this is the best possible course of action, and am confused about why that isn't an option for you?

my bf and i have seen soooo many diamonds and setting in person, we just dont feel the need to send it to us before setting it.
he also knows how emotional and anxious i'll get if i have to part with it for a month to wait for it to be set.
it's literally like taking candy from a baby...

i dont think we've ever had any doubts about the diamond itself...all along i've been saying i dont know rose cut enough to know how to set it properly. not i dont know rose cut enough that i dont know if i want this diamond or not.

like i said earlier. if i really dont like it, i'll just set it in a pendent in a few years and get another diamond.
there's no harm in having more diamond :dance:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1412115856|3759439 said:
FrekeChild|1412113252|3759412 said:

looks lovely in the video!! the cushion looks amazing too!
i wonder if i should set it the same way that cushion is set with the halo directly attached to the shank.

You totally could set it that way,bit again, that goes back to the issue of wearing a wedding band, without the basket there will be nothing to keep the wedding band from showing under the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results