shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite or not? Opinions please!

DaisyAndy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the value of a set given to me by my grandmother. I highly doubt that it is alexandrite after everything I've read here, but I still find it gorgeous and would like to receive your insight and opinions. The only thing I know is that she got it on Mexico in the late 60's or early 70's and that it is 18k yellow gold.
Couldn't capture the bluish green color of it...
I'll appreciate all your comments.

2014-09-23_1.jpg

2014-09-23_2.jpg

_22654.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unlikely I'm afraid because (a) size. The ring alone (if Alex) would be around 6ct and these are very unusual - and you've got 3 matching gemstones which makes it even more unlikely and (b) the complete absence of inclusions in the ring stone and I would assume the earrings are the same. Alexandrite is a type 2 gemstone which means you "typically" see some inclusions and you don't often get eye clean gemstones. The fact you've got 3 large stones without inclusions suggests this isn't Alex. Sorry!

However ................ it is always good, if you have any doubts or want to know for sure, to send your items to a lab who will be able to tell you exactly what you've got.

DaisyAndy

Rough_Rock
Alright, I knew it... So, in terms of value I just get the value of the gold. These synthetic stones are cheap?

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
really impossible for anyone to tell what gem it is from those photos and amount of information but certainly not alexandrite

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DaisyAndy|1411562484|3756212 said:
Alright, I knew it... So, in terms of value I just get the value of the gold. These synthetic stones are cheap?

Yes, as they're probably synthetic color change corundum. Even if they were amethyst, they would be very inexpensive.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
DaisyAndy|1411562484|3756212 said:
People see or hear the term synthetic and assume cheap or equivalent of glass. This is not necessarily the case as in the early part of last century they were quite desirable and valuable in their own right.

If you are interested in finding out definitively what they are, a gem brief from AGL will cost about $60 I believe. AGL is the preferred lab for coloured gems.

If you are then interested in their value, you would need to find an independent jewellery appraiser who, with the information from the lab report, can give you an estimate of their value.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the same looking stone that I bought in Egypt-the same size, cut and color. The jeweler said it was not a valuable stone but due to language barrier he could not tell me exactly what it was. It was a small shop way outside any tourist area and it was lying in a tray with other miscellaneous pieces. I bought the piece because i loved the gold setting and I thought the color change property was cool. This was in the 1990s.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Pics please lambskin :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll try to do get a pic-I have to see if I an get a good picture and paste it. What prompted my post is that the original poster's first photo looks exactly like my stone in shape, color and size. Can these synthetic alexandrites be traced back to a certain manufacturer? Mexico is a long way from a Cairo shop selling an estate piece.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1411883508|3758055 said:
I'll try to do get a pic-I have to see if I an get a good picture and paste it. What prompted my post is that the original poster's first photo looks exactly like my stone in shape, color and size. Can these synthetic alexandrites be traced back to a certain manufacturer? Mexico is a long way from a Cairo shop selling an estate piece.

Not sure if they're even synthetic alexandrite. I suspect synthetic corundum, which is an alexandrite simulant. It's very common and manufactured by many companies. Colorless synthetic scorundum, for example, is used in watches.

I wouldn't even worry about tracing them back, as the value is minimal. The value in that set is in all that gold there (that's a lot of gold!!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fairly sure these are vanadium laced synthetic corundum because they are very popular in Egypt (Alexandria in particular, probably due to the name, not where it is mined) and Mexico as tourist trinkets, which have been around for at least 100 years.
http://www.alexandrite.net/chapters/chapter7/index.html

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, you amaze me! How in the world did you find an article mentioning Mexico AND Egypt!? :appl: I just love PS because of you and the other experts that post here. Everyday I learn something new and inquiries are handled with sincerity and expertise. I have to be careful when I am talking about simulants and synthetics as they are not the same as the article aptly explained. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results