shape
carat
color
clarity

THIS !!! is an alexandrite!!!!!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is beautiful too!!!! You take this one and I take the cushion!!!

Both are good examples and def. not muddy! :D

I want see videos of both alexandrites

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1411763985|3757537 said:
Yes, it is beautiful too!!!! You take this one and I take the cushion!!!

Both are good examples and def. not muddy! :D

I want see videos of both alexandrites

I think tone is a very under looked aspect to alexandrite. Even though it may have good color change, and both colorways are not muddy, or brownish, it can look overly dark in a setting or in some lighting situations. Sure, I'll take the pear! :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You are right - so difficult to find the perfect combination of tone, CC and good cutting....

My problem with the pear - the fotoshopped pictures of AJS!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1411764717|3757547 said:
You are right - so difficult to find the perfect combination of tone, CC and good cutting....

My problem with the pear - the fotoshopped pictures of AJS!

True, it does appear to have nice color change on the GRS report photo though. I hope that's not photoshopped either, and the tone is lovely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another great example, also Brazilian, From MC.com. No longer for sale, but since we're posting pics of nice specimens.

41b47e8e4cdebc2749124ba0e5d5a5af_1_.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funnily enough I'm not as keen on the blue/green stones from Brazil. I agree with TL about that one Marlow that it's too dark. Mind you if somebody bought it for me, I wouldn't mind :lol: I'd love to see the pear from AJS to see what it's like though but hubby has banned me from buying any more lol

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - we neeed after all the synthetic stones and awful alexandrite some nice ones - and I love all the posted stones here!

The cushion is a bit dark.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD|1411766370|3757562 said:
Funnily enough I'm not as keen on the blue/green stones from Brazil. I agree with TL about that one Marlow that it's too dark. Mind you if somebody bought it for me, I wouldn't mind :lol: I'd love to see the pear from AJS to see what it's like though but hubby has banned me from buying any more lol
Banned from alex, or banned from all stones?

Will prices for alex ever go down? I would love to own one, but no way at those prices. I could buy a killer ___ (fill in the blank) instead.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think so. Really exc. alexandrite is difficult to find - I regret selling my small but fine russian and brazil alexandrite.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah.... now that oval :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
We seem to have missed Mineral Miners in our hunt and I've learned a new term - cymophane (chrysoberyl cats-eye).

Marlow you will be pleased that at MM they class alex as chrysoberyl and actually have three pages under chrysoberyl, cymophane and alexandrite but I've linked to the page which includes them all.

MM also appear to have perfected the art of photographing both colour-ways and I've attached the picture of an unusual - and large 8.25ct 11.3mm x 6.4mm - round cab though might be brownish-pink in incandescent.

MM also have a ready-made alex jewellery page http://www.mineralminers.com/html/alxjlry.stm and if the photos are realistic there are a few which are both pretty and affordable for an alex experience.

Be aware that there are often alternative photos linked in their descriptions.

mineralminers-cab.png

alxg199s-alexandrite-cab.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I would call a "muddy" change.

alxj186-alex-muddy-change.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased from MM several years ago and found their photography to be reasonably accurate.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That's good to know Chrono - thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with TL. Muddy to me is that weird brownish/olive-ish nondescript colour.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... that too TL ;(

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
To clarify myself a little further then. I wouldn't give the stone TL posted (below for reference) the time of day in the first place.

What I'm talking about is a stone that is an attractive green and which has a weak change, or only part of the stone changes or it's just a grubby/dirty change as with the one I posted - new descriptors! ;))

dirty-alex.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1411959830|3758441 said:
To clarify myself a little further then. I wouldn't give the stone TL posted (below for reference) the time of day in the first place.

What I'm talking about is a stone that is an attractive green and which has a weak change, or only part of the stone changes or it's just a grubby/dirty change as with the one I posted - new descriptors! ;))

Is this the daylight or the incandescent light color???

As a collector I like it but I understand you very well :D !

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1411949635|3758334 said:
We seem to have missed Mineral Miners in our hunt and I've learned a new term - cymophane (chrysoberyl cats-eye).

Marlow you will be pleased that at MM they class alex as chrysoberyl and actually have three pages under chrysoberyl, cymophane and alexandrite but I've linked to the page which includes them all.

MM also appear to have perfected the art of photographing both colour-ways and I've attached the picture of an unusual - and large 8.25ct 11.3mm x 6.4mm - round cab though might be brownish-pink in incandescent.

MM also have a ready-made alex jewellery page http://www.mineralminers.com/html/alxjlry.stm and if the photos are realistic there are a few which are both pretty and affordable for an alex experience.

Be aware that there are often alternative photos linked in their descriptions.

I have an issue with Alex being marketed as Chrysoberyl. It's like marketing Ruby as Corundum. It's odd! Yes of course Alex is Chrysoberyl but it is a variety and the name Alexandrite denotes a gem that changes colour in the Chrysoberyl family. I know Marlow and I disagree on this but I have spoken at length with David W and he has confirmed that any of the variety with a colour change is an Alex (although of course maybe poor quality). For example, a yellow to brown Alex is still an Alex even though it's horrible!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
O.K.

So we have now alexandrite with a fine classic color change from ( bluish) green to (purplish) red :love: :love:

and an alexandrite with a color change from olivegreen to earthy brown....

Let us call it

CAMOUFLAGE alexandrite!!!! Set in brushed titanium or dark metals you can wear it when you are hunting, fishing - perfect for soldiers!!

Nobody will notice it! Understatement pure!!! :bigsmile:

And I want a throwing up smiley!!!

And I still wait for an answer whether this is the daylight or incandescent color ( muddy ugly trillion)!! :D

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1412014685|3758721 said:
O.K.

So we have now alexandrite with a fine classic color change from ( bluish) green to (purplish) red :love: :love:

and an alexandrite with a color change from olivegreen to earthy brown....

Let us call it

CAMOUFLAGE alexandrite!!!! Set in brushed titanium or dark metals you can wear it when you are hunting, fishing - perfect for soldiers!!

Nobody will notice it! Understatement pure!!! :bigsmile:

And I want a throwing up smiley!!!

And I still wait for an answer whether this is the daylight or incandescent color ( muddy ugly trillion)!! :D

Haha! Yes, soldiers will flock to purchase camouflage alexandrite -- imagine the demand!

And that is the daylight colour. Here is the listing. =)
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/alexandrite/xax335ac/&1244716636

In the description they call it 'one of our best alexandrites' :knockout:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL, LD, Chrono, and anyone who knows, what does muddy mean in alex then? Brownish? Opaque?

I thought if the alex had a change from green or blue to purplish brown for example, the brown would mess up the colour in mixed lighting situations and therefore look muddy. This is just an assumption i had made somehow, lol

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1412019607|3758750 said:
TL, LD, Chrono, and anyone who knows, what does muddy mean in alex then? Brownish? Opaque?

It's a vague term, and I think people can ascribe their own meanings to it.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WHOA........now I'm getting confused! So is a true lime to true lemon color (as in bright fluorescent colors) of Chryso still a chyrsoberyl? Or does that then become Alex because it shows two different colors in different light? No mud, just pure psychedelic Green and Yellow.............(I still think it's chryso) :confused:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow said:
Is this the daylight or the incandescent light color???

As a collector I like it but I understand you very well :D !
Apologies for not getting back Marlow but LK and TL seem to have sorted it - thanks guys :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results