shape
carat
color
clarity

Helluva deal? Educate me, please

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
While perusing available diamonds, I came across this one. Is this a good deal -- a 7.41x 7.44 1.5 carat MRB J (with faint fluorescence) S-1 with an HCA well below 2 for @ $6,000? Or am i missing something? Are those funky "arrows" things in the Idealscope a big problem? Educate me, please.

(thanks in advance.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is perfect. No. It's showing a decent amount of leakage on both the IS and the ASET. And it would not be a good ring stone for a super picky PSer.

BUT... the price is good (please report back if B2C says they don't have it anymore. There's been a couple complaints of their stones being offered as available and then not being so when called. And I would like to know how often this is happening). And it's definitely not a dog when you consider the size for budget.

It's a 60/60 style stone with decent angles. The crown is a bit low (we try to shoot for 34 around here) but it is complimentary to the 40.0 pavillion and for a 60/60 33.5 is actually okay. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond It is going to favor white light over colored light.

I would want to ask about the J color. It could be that the tint of the J is odd (brownish) and that could be what is de-valueing it. I certainly think it's worth a call. Especially if you want it for a pendant or earring stone. But I would make sure to find out WHY the stone is priced as it is. There is usually a reason.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, just wanted to mention one of my experiences as I was looking online....I found what looked like an incredible deal on James Allen, very similar specs to your stone. After I called it on hold and asked for reflector images and gem review, they changed the price on me by nearly 50% increase. So, my deal evaporated but I could still buy the stone for the new price. Sometimes, this happens and the vendor has discovered (with your help) that they mis-priced a stone and can change the price on you with no warning at their discretion (part of their written policies on the website). Not trying to say this is what is going to happen to you, but thought others that see deals that seem to be too good to be true might want to know.

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
I actually just purchased this diamond. I was told it is eye clean, "faces up white," and looks "pretty good." We'll see. (How do they know that if they don't have the diamond there?) I was told it is being shipped from overseas so to expect it to take up to 5 business days to get here. I'm ok with that. I will post photos and video when it arrives. I won't be out anything if I end up returning it, right? (I paid by credit card.)

I asked about color or anything else that could account for the low price, and was told bricks and mortar stores have higher overhead, yada yada. I obviously meant compared to other online diamonds of that size, clarity and color.

I'm not a diamond expert who is looking for perfection. I just want a sparkly, relatively white looking, nice-sized diamond, and I want it for a ring. If it checks out to be as represented, what kind of setting would make it look whitest? White gold solitaire? Diamond-less bezel? (Would hiding the sides help?) Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for your earlier input, Gypsy!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
seems like a pretty good deal to me. I went to Robbins Bros. for a 1.5 carat and was quoted $15K for an IGI, HORRIBLY cut (the HCA was well over 4) diamond. So yeah, you have a pretty good diamond there for a great price!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Nicely done, given what you are looking for, I do think you found something that fits the bill and a pretty savvy deal too. Can't wait to see pics and hear your impressions of the stone. I set my J in a simple 6 prong platinum solitaire so that I could easily keep it super clean to sparkle the best, that would be my rec to you too. I'd also keep it simple with no other stones in the band or on the wedding band, but that's me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this!
I've seen people drop a lot more $$ on something not near as good.

If you were so inclined, I'd put it in a rose gold or yellow gold solitaire with a 6 prong head in plat. I had a k set in a yellow gold solitaire with white prongs and it kept the stone looking white while not drawing the comparison to the shank metal.

Different colored metal might not be your style, but I encourage you to at least try it on. I wasn't a believer until I saw it on my skin.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whitest would be a 6 or 8 prong. Or a simple bezel. Depends on your style. If it's a 'normal' J without a brown tint you should be fine in just about any setting. Several of my friends have J's. I love them. Great values.

I'm so glad it was available for you to purchase! I can't wait to see what you think of it in person!

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
Well, didn't get the diamond. Got an email from B2C saying "after a second quality check" it was found that "this diamond has an abraded cutlet with heavy surface training that looks frizzy under magnification." They, of course, offered me an alternative stone that "matches my specifications" -- with a 5.6 HCA. So much for that.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I'm sorry this stone was pulled from their inventory. That sucks. It's understandable that mistakes happen and customers pick a stone that doesn't meet their standards or are mis-priced (this happened to me) and it isn't caught till someone points it out. I'm sorry this happened. Do you want help to find a nice alternative?

If you were ready to try again, I think I'd give IDJ or BE a call and see what they had that fits the budget with the biggest J/K color eye cleanish mrb. Were you thinking solitaire? I think that would make the stone pop more. I would guess that you'd get very specific help if you select a vendor and let them help find you a great stone. Good luck to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results