shape
carat
color
clarity

A Book(s) Thread

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... after reading Plainsong and Eventide, I moved on to Come Home by Lisa Scottoline.

It was a bad move.

First let me say that I've read most if not all of Lisa Scottoline's books, and I like most of them. This one, however, is far below par. It was over-written and populated with whiney people, the whiniest of which is the heroine, who consistently did dumb things even after, sometimes, thinking them through first. Having just spent a week with Keith Haruf's sparse, external books and pragmatic characters, reading Coming Home felt like swimming though mush. Yuck. I hope Lisa Scottoline gets back to form before she writes her next book.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10687002_339788716181887_374850021807619339_n.jpg

Just because. A books thread of a different sort. :wink2:

Fabulous autumn embroidery by Brazilian artist Matizes Dumont*, posted on facebook by the Embroiderers' Guild of Victoria.

(Actually, I'm not sure whether Matizes Dumont is an individual or some sort of a collective. I just know this piece made me think of this thread!)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really gorgeous. Thank you for posting that, VRBeauty!

Deb
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty on the recommendation of several of you (baby monster; missy; and Gem Queen were definitely among the people I recall discussing the book). It was really hard to put down, as billed! Someone here had described it as "dark". It wasn't "dark" to me. I realize there was a theme in it that wasn't exactly Henry and Mudge (a children's picture book series for anyone who doesn't know it) but the plot was very quick, there was a lot of humor, and the women were almost all people I could relate to. To me Madame Bovary is dark. Not a modern novel set in Australia with one of the heroines selling tupperware. But without our doing spoilers, this could be hard to argue. ;))

At any rate, I really enjoyed it a lot and I very much appreciate the recommendation. I also bought What Alice Forgot when I bought that from Amazon, but I am taking a break from Liane Moriarty at the moment and reading another cooking murder mystery. No ghosts in this one. It's by the author of Murder and Marinara.

Does anyone know an author who writes as well as Liane Moriarty and keeps the pace up? I don't like books that drag unlike they are witty like Jane Austen.... Then they don't feel as if they are dragging.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone read 2666 by Roberto Bolano?

I'm about half way through and struggling hard. This is my second attempt to finish the book. Is it worth it?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1411968521|3758486 said:
10687002_339788716181887_374850021807619339_n.jpg

Just because. A books thread of a different sort. :wink2:

Fabulous autumn embroidery by Brazilian artist Matizes Dumont*, posted on facebook by the Embroiderers' Guild of Victoria.

(Actually, I'm not sure whether Matizes Dumont is an individual or some sort of a collective. I just know this piece made me think of this thread!)

They are a family group. Their work is pretty amazing!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just finished Barbara Kingsolver's, Prodigal Summer, which was a joy to read. Her love for nature and her training(biology), made this especially wonderful.

At the end of last winter I saw a coyote cross a park just outside my yard. I called the park district and the Village because I envisioned it as being dangerous to babies and animals. I learned that its a protected species, so I just warned the neighbors.

The book speaks about coyotes and those that sort of hate them. Really enjoyed the feel of the forests and the farm life in the book.
Such a good read for me.

Annette

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. Totally delightful book! I almost passed it by. I've grown rather tired of Becky Bloomwood, Kinsella's "Shopaholic" series protagonist, and thought maybe I'd outgrown her books, event the non- "shopaholic" books. But it was a staff pick at a local library so I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did. It's fun and smart despite one or two annoying plot devices - i.e., footnotes in a novel!? Check it out if you're in the mood for a romantic comedy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1413652101|3769073 said:
I just finished I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. Totally delightful book! I almost passed it by. I've grown rather tired of Becky Bloomwood, Kinsella's "Shopaholic" series protagonist, and thought maybe I'd outgrown her books, event the non- "shopaholic" books. But it was a staff pick at a local library so I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did. It's fun and smart despite one or two annoying plot devices - i.e., footnotes in a novel!? Check it out if you're in the mood for a romantic comedy.

I never read any of those books. Can you tell me about them? I thought they might be too silly for me, but if you enjoy them perhaps they are not silly. I never really read reviews of them. I get my best book reviews here in this thread!!!

Deb

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, glad you liked Liane Moriarty's books. Her latest came out this summer but I haven't read it yet. I don't really know anyone who writes in her style as I find her stories unlike anything I've read before.

I'm reading a book by Jennifer Weiner Fly Away Home. I like her style of writing and have read two of her other books before. All Fall Down , about prescription drug addiction, which seems to be a big problem nowadays. And In Her Shoes , about a relationship between two sisters. The second was made into a movie but IMO the book was better. Both books were very interesting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Massive disappointment this morning when I finished one book and realized the other two books I had here I'd already read. Luckily the library was still open. Found a new John Sanford and a Jennifer Weiner.

Liane Moriarty sounds interesting-I will have to write her name down and look next time I go.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1413652101|3769073 said:

I love Sophie Kinsella, and I've read everything she's written. Her real name, which is uses as well for other books, is Madeleine Wickham. I haven't read those. Have you read Hester Browne's books about the Little Lady Agency? There are maybe 4 or so in the series. Those are good.

Deb, I'm not sure you'd like Kinsella/Wickham's novels. They are a bit silly, as you said. I'd put them in the "chick lit" category, which I would think you're not a fan. I could be wrong though. Give 'em a try!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1413734870|3769421 said:
I love Sophie Kinsella, and I've read everything she's written. Her real name, which is uses as well for other books, is Madeleine Wickham. I haven't read those. Have you read Hester Browne's books about the Little Lady Agency? There are maybe 4 or so in the series. Those are good.

Deb, I'm not sure you'd like Kinsella/Wickham's novels. They are a bit silly, as you said. I'd put them in the "chick lit" category, which I would think you're not a fan. I could be wrong though. Give 'em a try!

Deb: I agree with Zoe, Sophie Kinsella's books are chick lit to the max, suitable for the post-teen set. They feature young women who tend to get into scrapes (often by *ahem* white lying their way out of one bad situation and into another) who end up figuring out a brilliant way out of and often saving the day and oh-by-the-way-winning the good looking guy in the process. Definitely silly, but well-written and fun. The main character in the Shopaholic series gets into trouble because she can't reign in her shopping impulses. I guess she just got to me after a few books. But I'll probably catch up to the series one of these days anyway!

If you're looking for some strictly escapist fun, give Sophie Kinsella a try. I particularly liked "Undomestic Goddess" and the book I just posted, "I've Got Your Number."

Zoe - thanks for reminding me of the Madeleine Wickham connection. I'll have to check it out one of these days!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
SO much of what I'd recommend has already been mentioned, so I'll stick with what I HAVEN'T seen.

For the YA peeps, Terry Pratchett's DIscworld series is incredible. I started with the the 2nd part of the series on The Wee Free Men. It's similar to Harry Potter, but with a female central character. Enchanting and so well written.

Also Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I think of it as the darker, more grown up version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mrs taylor|1413773624|3769618 said:
SO much of what I'd recommend has already been mentioned, so I'll stick with what I HAVEN'T seen.

For the YA peeps, Terry Pratchett's DIscworld series is incredible. I started with the the 2nd part of the series on The Wee Free Men. It's similar to Harry Potter, but with a female central character. Enchanting and so well written.

Also Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I think of it as the darker, more grown up version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

The Wee Free Men is a lot of fun, isn't it? I also liked the sequel, A Hat Full of Sky. I want to read more of the Discworld books, but I never know which book to read first.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the 5 Tiffany Aching books (starting with The Wee Free Men) and moved forward. Then I would my way back through discworld.

Oh! And my favorite series of all time...how could I forget? Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon. If you like historical fiction they're worth checking out!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read A Wrinkle in Time followed by What Alice Forgot. The former, for anyone unfamiliar with the books, is a children's book that I just happened to miss while I was growing up. My daughter told me that she had read it in the sixth grade. I loved it and plan to read the other books in the series.

Since I had enjoyed Liane Moriarty's book, The Husband's Secret, I decided to read What Alice Forgot. For some reason I had expected not to like the latter as well, which is why I had read it second. I actually liked it more. I found it funnier and quirkier, which appealed to me. I know that the author has written other books, but I am still worried about being disappointed by her. I am leery of reading one of her books with a title that makes it appear to be about hypnotherapy. Has anyone else read that?

Deb/AGBF

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I read over half of it in one day, and it was really good. I love her books, and I love how she tackles different subjects in her books. This one deals with elephants in Africa and an elephant sanctuary in the US..

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1415593691|3780424 said:
I just read A Wrinkle in Time followed by What Alice Forgot. The former, for anyone unfamiliar with the books, is a children's book that I just happened to miss while I was growing up. My daughter told me that she had read it in the sixth grade. I loved it and plan to read the other books in the series.

Since I had enjoyed Liane Moriarty's book, The Husband's Secret, I decided to read What Alice Forgot. For some reason I had expected not to like the latter as well, which is why I had read it second. I actually liked it more. I found it funnier and quirkier, which appealed to me. I know that the author has written other books, but I am still worried about being disappointed by her. I am leery of reading one of her books with a title that makes it appear to be about hypnotherapy. Has anyone else read that?

Deb/AGBF
A friend of mine just told me that she just started reading that book by Liane Moriarty. She said it was interesting so far.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I guess I need to put it on my To Read list as well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should go back a few pages and read others' recommendations for new books. I went to the library today and was really disappointed by the selection. All of the really popular books are in a section called Fast Reads, where they give you 3 days to read a book, but that section was wiped out. I ended up getting Desperate by Daniel Palmer, a Kinsey Milhone mystery by Sue Grafton, and The Objects of Her Affection by Sonya Cobb. I'm kind of "meh" about all of them. I might have to run to the bookstore and see what else I can find.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pretty much all of Marcel Pagnol's books are a must read.I really enjoyed « Souvenirs d’enfance » (Childhood memories) and « L'eau des Collines » (The Water of the Hills).
I always enjoy re-reading Maurice Leblanc's Arsène Lupin books ("813" is still my favourite).
A few others favourites include « Bel-Ami » by Guy de Maupassant, All the books from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, « PПиковая дама» (The Queen of Spades) by Alexander Pushkin, « Le Grand Meaulnes » by Alain Fournier, « Iliad» by Homer, The Trilogy « Vipère au poing » « La mort du petit cheval » « Le cri de la chouette » by Hervé Bazin.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dioptase|1415693354|3781135 said:
Pretty much all of Marcel Pagnol's books are a must read.I really enjoyed « Souvenirs d’enfance » (Childhood memories) and « L'eau des Collines » (The Water of the Hills).
I always enjoy re-reading Maurice Leblanc's Arsène Lupin books ("813" is still my favourite).
A few others favourites include « Bel-Ami » by Guy de Maupassant, All the books from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, « PПиковая дама» (The Queen of Spades) by Alexander Pushkin, « Le Grand Meaulnes » by Alain Fournier, « Iliad» by Homer, The Trilogy « Vipère au poing » « La mort du petit cheval » « Le cri de la chouette » by Hervé Bazin.

Your reading list scares me, Dioptase! It reminds me of dragonfly411. Her reading list included the most erudite works of civilization. My husband and I have an ongoing joke about whether we will ever read Proust.

In all seriousness, it is nice to see someone well read posting here.

Deb :wavey:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I read The Husband's Secret last year and really enjoyed it.

I am glad that I have discovered the Hangout section of PS- especially this thread! Before I became a SAHM, I used to read at least 2-3 books a month and tons of magazines ranging from the Economist to InStyle. I am trying to get back into reading again (at least something more than The Happiest Toddler on the Block).

My favorite book over the last 10 years is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Currently I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling a crime fiction novel by J. K. Rowling , published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith which is an easy read and enjoyable also.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1415756727|3781689 said:
Before I became a SAHM, I used to read at least 2-3 books a month and tons of magazines ranging from the Economist to InStyle. I am trying to get back into reading again (at least something more than The Happiest Toddler on the Block).

Crystal- Ever since I first read this I have meant to ask you why you had more time to read before you became a stay at home mom. What did you do then?

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (her niece who helped to complete it). I knew I had heard about it here on Pricescope, but when I did a search, I didn't find it mentioned in this thread. (I found it mentioned in two other Pricescope threads.) So I don't know which people posting here have also read it. I thought it was charming. It is a novel written in the form of letters between people and is set right after World War II. I would love to hear from those of you who have already read it.

Deb/AGBF

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb - I have read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I did so when it first came out, so my memory is a little hazy. I love it. I think it's literary while still being accessible and also delivering a proper story - just the kind of balance I like. "Low literature", perhaps it should be called! (As opposed to "high literature" - really heavy stuff like War & Peace.)

If you like that portion of history, you might like the TV series "Island At War". (I think it's available on Netflix, or the Apple TV, I can't remember. It's worth searching for - it's probably on DVD via Amazon.) Anyway, it's a fictional drama about the real-life occupation of the Channel Islands. A big difference between the Potato Peel Pie Society and Island at War is that the latter really illustrates the fear and domination under which the islanders lived during the war. There was controversy about the series, because after the war some islanders were accused of collaboration, appeasement, consorting with the enemy etc - but presumably staying alive was kind of a priority! The whole thing was that the Chanel Islands weren't armed, so they really had to do as the Germans said. There is a wonderful storyline abut the island governer's wife and the attraction that the chief Nazi officer on the island has for her. Talk about an awkward situation! The German officer moves into their house - they split the house into two.

Do you watch Downton Abbey? The actress who plays Anna has a starring role in "Island at War".

Since I became a caregiver full-time, I haven't been able to go out much but have had more time to read so am very pleased to see this thread.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1416327170|3785785 said:
Deb - I have read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I did so when it first came out, so my memory is a little hazy. I love it. I think it's literary while still being accessible and also delivering a proper story - just the kind of balance I like. "Low literature", perhaps it should be called! (As opposed to "high literature" - really heavy stuff like War & Peace.)

If you like that portion of history, you might like the TV series "Island At War". (I think it's available on Netflix, or the Apple TV, I can't remember. It's worth searching for - it's probably on DVD via Amazon.) Anyway, it's a fictional drama about the real-life occupation of the Channel Islands. A big difference between the Potato Peel Pie Society and Island at War is that the latter really illustrates the fear and domination under which the islanders lived during the war. There was controversy about the series, because after the war some islanders were accused of collaboration, appeasement, consorting with the enemy etc - but presumably staying alive was kind of a priority! The whole thing was that the Chanel Islands weren't armed, so they really had to do as the Germans said. There is a wonderful storyline abut the island governer's wife and the attraction that the chief Nazi officer on the island has for her. Talk about an awkward situation! The German officer moves into their house - they split the house into two.

Do you watch Downton Abbey? The actress who plays Anna has a starring role in "Island at War".

Since I became a caregiver full-time, I haven't been able to go out much but have had more time to read so am very pleased to see this thread.

Hi, Jambalaya-

I do not watch Downton Abbey, but just wrote about it in the Christmas/Holiday Music thread because I came upon some music by a couple of actors from the series (in the music CD that arose from the series this year). I, therefore, do not know which actress plays "Anna".

For whom are you a full-time care giver? Since you mentioned it, I figured that it might be something about which you are willing to speak. If that is too personal, please excuse the question.

"Island at War" does sound very interesting indeed. I do not watch television, but I do watch some television series once they are off TV now! Since I watch so few series, it really doesn't seem as if I watch TV, but my husband makes fun of me and says that I do. I have to admit to seeing all years except the present one of, "The Big Bang Theory" although I watched them on DVD.

One problem I have with something made for TV about the Channel Islands would be not knowing how historically accurate it was. But perhaps that would drive me to do some research. The World Wars and the interwar period do interest me very much.

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1416284473|3785555 said:
Crystal- Ever since I first read this I have meant to ask you why you had more time to read before you became a stay at home mom. What did you do then?

Before my hubby relocated us to the south, I was a court reporter in NYC. I was able to read more because I read all the time-- transcripts, documents, books and magazines for leisure. I also enjoyed reading during my subway commute. I didn't like reporting in our new state and became, with hubby's consent, a housewife with plenty of time to read, work-out, cook, clean and it was wonderful!

I fell out of the habit of reading once we conceived. I had morning sickness the whole time and reading made the nausea worse. The twins will be 3 soon and I spend most of my time reading to them, teaching them, having them "help" me clean up their messes, playing outside, building something, doing arts and crafts (we don't watch much television in my household) etc... All of that to say that when they are asleep and I finish cleaning the house, cooking and spending time with hubby I am just too exhausted to do anything else other than spend a few minutes in the Bible and call it a night. :snore:

The boys are getting a bit better at controlling their impulses to make messes and they are able to play together for longer periods of time without incident, so I hope to find more time for reading and writing in 2015!
:)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi AGBF,

I care for three elderly relatives, since the other siblings are older than me and very impatient - they are good people but wholly unsuited to caring. They also have many small kids in one case, and a wife who is terminally ill in the other case (she's only 58). I used to look after four relatives but one died a few months ago after an illness and a traumatic end-stage, and now the remaining ones are somewhat worse. I've been somewhat at the end of my tether and exhausted even after a full night's sleep, so they've gone for a bit of respite care, as I didn't get a break after caring for the deceased relative during the final months.

I was so happy to find this site as I've allowed myself to become quite isolated due to my responsibilities, i.e. I don't see much of my friends and I don't have time for the gym or hobbies as it's difficult to get out in the evenings. In fact, some of my friends have dropped me as I don't have much time and I was particularly tied up earlier this year.

However, it's very fulfilling to be a carer and I wouldn't have it any other way. But right now I'm exhausted and glad of a break. Spending some of my savings on jewelry, and time to read!

I hang out mainly with people aged 75-90, since I take my relatives to all their lunches, Rotary clubs, Freemason meetings, miscellaneous outings, and the occasional dinner party. We've even managed three trips away to see their old friends in the last few weeks! We were visiting friends in New York state who are aged 77 and 80, and the woman, the younger, said I should discover an author called Jane Gardam, who I'd never heard of. I look up to the woman - she's very well-read and well-educated, so I got the book.

Oh, this author is just wonderful. The book is called Old Filth, and Filth stands for Failed In London, Try Hong Kong. It's a story of a British lawyer in Hong Kong (nicknamed Old Filth) and his wife Betty, who refer to themselves as Raj orphans. It flashes back and forth between the present day and the Thirties/Forties.

The author has written many books and has a list of literary prizes as long as your arm, but I'd never heard of her. The story is mysterious and the writing is wonderful - she refers to the main character as ¨swirling himself into his coat¨ and another time an elderly person calls out and it's described as a ẗhreadbare voice.¨ It's a trilogy - the Old Filth trilogy. I can't recommend it highly enough.

So sorry for the essay. I don't have that many people around to talk to! :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal - so glad you will have more time to read! What do you think of the Ken Follett book? I'm very aware of it but have never read it. I'm curious. Is it worth a go? :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results