shape
carat
color
clarity

What colored stone is this? Best guesses please!

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
If you had to guess, what colored stone would you say this is? I found a setting that I love from Tacori that eats up the ring budget my boyfriend and I set, and so I'm considering an alternative to a diamond. I immediately thought of this ring that my mom passed down to me when I was a teenager (it was originally my great grandmother's). I like the idea of having a stone that reminds me of this ring that is so sentimental to me, especially if it will also allow us to get the setting that I love so much.

img_5672.jpg

img_5673.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect aqua, or synthetic spinel (yes, that was around a long time ago). The stone looks very dirty, is it, or are those inclusions?

The setting is gorgeous.

Aquas are very chippy, and not suitable for an e-ring. The next best thing would be a light blue sapphire that color, beware of a myriad of treatments on sapphires though, so research before you buy.

Light blue spinel like that is rarely natural, so I would not look for one, but synthetic spinel is a durable alternative.

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is VERY dirty. I haven't had the ring cleaned in years. It looks really beautiful after a good cleaning.

Rocky2014

Rough_Rock
Would I be able to get a sapphire that color in a princess cut? I'm looking for something in the .75 carat range. Synthetic spinel seems like a good alternative as well, although I have no idea about potential vendors. We might end up upgrading to a diamond later on, so I would probably take the original light blue stone and put it in a new setting at that point.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky2014|1411923953|3758189 said:
Would I be able to get a sapphire that color in a princess cut? I'm looking for something in the .75 carat range. Synthetic spinel seems like a good alternative as well, although I have no idea about potential vendors. We might end up upgrading to a diamond later on, so I would probably take the original light blue stone and put it in a new setting at that point.

Well, we're not allowed to get into deep discussions about synthetic gems here.

Check with any of the reputable lapidaries in the sticky at the top of the forum for a light blue princess sapphire. Good luck.

I also highly recommend you read the newbie sticky at the top of the forum about colored stones. It's easy to get tricked and/or taken advantage of when buying sapphires.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are a little bit harder to find in colored stones. I might try contacting Peter Torraca. He has a few Montana sapphires that might work, and yes we can't talk about synthetic stones on this site, but I'd talk to him about the idea.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Such a pretty ring as TL says.

Yes, it is VERY dirty. I haven't had the ring cleaned in years. It looks really beautiful after a good cleaning.

YOU can do a good job with some dish washing liquid and a soft toothbrush!! ;))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
regardless what the stone turns out to be, I would hate to see such a lovely antique piece be taken apart.
I think you could avail yourself of the resources here on PS to find a stone that won't break your budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? The corners of a princess cut diamond causes enough headaches to their owners with chipping/damage so I would caution you that it will be more of a concern with any other coloured stone, including sapphires, which are softer than a diamond.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry . I seem to have misunderstood your intentions.

Gene Flanigan of PrecisionGems has some sapphire stock that might make a very strong match to the stone you have. You can ask him if he has something he can cut to suit your needs.He also cuts colored stones in princess designs. I have two of them!
You might also ask Andrew of Gemfix if he has rough that he could cut to your needs

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1411953648|3758360 said:
regardless what the stone turns out to be, I would hate to see such a lovely antique piece be taken apart.
I think you could avail yourself of the resources here on PS to find a stone that won't break your budget.

Agree with this! You will not find another ring like this and the stone is part of the history and provenance. Let PS help you hunt for a stone and setting you like (or just the stone if you are set on the setting)-- there are some very resourceful folks here that are great at finding 'stuff'......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results