I just checked it out.
I had never heard of the wedding bee.

Not much for weddings here. but to each their own. :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1411915323|3758139 said:
How does one find the FB group?

One option - search for FB members named "Pricescope" and ask them to friend you etc etc. I'm not in the group so I have no idea if there is indeed more than one and who is in which, however.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1411915323|3758139 said:
How does one find the FB group?

Since it is by invitation only and PS does not allow email addresses I'd look for a familiar PS moniker over on loupetroop or diamondbistro and email those folks asking for an invitation.
I think you'll eventually find someone who is in the group and will invite you to join.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey DF, maybe you and I should start a private FB group.

What would we talk about?
Who would we let in?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411920652|3758175 said:
AprilBaby|1411870758|3757983 said:
I think they are all on the Bee.

What is "the Bee"?
Our local newspaper.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would one of you care to explain PS 2.0, & why it was different from 1.0? I've seen so many different references to 2.0, but don't understand the gist of it.

I started reading PS almost 2.5 years again, & I have definitely noticed a difference in activity. It has the be all the various FB groups that have sprung up.

But am really curious about the 2.0 backstory. ?? Anyone?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only difference I recall between 1.0 nd 2.0 is formatting.
PS looks different.

I have no idea why there was an exodus because of 2.0.
Please correct me and inform me if it was more than appearance of the PS page.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought part of it had to do w/the..irritation (don't know what else to call it-frustration?) of how things converged when we made the cross over. A lot of pictures didn't come with, that was irritating, still is, to go to an old thread and have a bunch of pictures gone. I remember several times not being able to log on, threads not showing, forums not showing, not being able to post-that was frustrating, so it could very well make people leave, and maybe not abruptly, but if you check and check and check and can't get on or stuff isn't showing or you can't post...after a while you don't check as much, you find other stuff to occupy your time.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411873800|3757999 said:
People hate me and have left.
Mara was first.
Go read about it on that private FB group.

I know they are actually jealous of my supreme majesty. :sun:

Who could hate you????

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you and DF make a private group, please invite me!
I love drama and between the two of you we have plenty!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1411929765|3758217 said:
The only difference I recall between 1.0 nd 2.0 is formatting.
PS looks different.

I have no idea why there was an exodus because of 2.0.
Please correct me and inform me if it was more than appearance of the PS page.

It took a couple of months to work out the kinks - a lot of people couldn't log in, or load the pages, they couldn't post, or they couldn't post pics ... I think eventually, a lot of people just fell out of the habit and never really came back. I can sort of see it: it was a community based around what's usually an atypical purchase for a couple or individual, and if the group is vibrant, people will stay. But if the vibe fades ... will their interest stay peaked? Probably not. Now, why we haven't rebuilt a core of posters with the same kind of zeal, that I can't tell you. The gemology forum? Weddingbee? Tumblr/Instagram/Pinterest? Facebook? You got me ....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Circe.
Now that you mention it I do recall some had trouble posting.

And you're probably right about lower traffic being related to more alternatives.

For the complainers ... BE the change you'd like to see.

Low traffic?
Start an interesting thread.

I try, maybe too hard.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think after buying your diamond e-ring, you maybe read for a while, form some friendships, maybe buy one or two more pieces, but then eventually move on. People get married, buy houses, have kids, etc. There is not a lot of time for reading on a diamond site anymore, and I suspect a lot of people who aren't obsessed with jewelry tend to kind of get bored--there are a lot of other things to spend money on in life. I joined PS 6 years ago, and my financial priorities have changed drastically since then. The Family and Home forum is where I spend most of my time on here now.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1411882586|3758053 said:

Mara is an angel but I'm a pile of yellow/green cat diarrhea so fresh, hot and steamy that it just flattens out only 1/16th of an inch high and 11" in diameter.

Watch your step. :hand:

:o :o :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat|1411930102|3758220 said:
I thought part of it had to do w/the..irritation (don't know what else to call it-frustration?) of how things converged when we made the cross over. A lot of pictures didn't come with, that was irritating, still is, to go to an old thread and have a bunch of pictures gone. I remember several times not being able to log on, threads not showing, forums not showing, not being able to post-that was frustrating, so it could very well make people leave, and maybe not abruptly, but if you check and check and check and can't get on or stuff isn't showing or you can't post...after a while you don't check as much, you find other stuff to occupy your time.
This. The search function SUCKS big time now, and that happened with the conversion. I've gotten used to using Google searches to find anything I'm looking for, with PS 1.0, the search function was actually pretty good.

LIW is dead, BWW is dead, both of those used to be vibrant and thriving. Hangout is pretty boring now. And honestly, there are only so many diamond solitaires and eternity bands that one can look at before they all start blending together. Lots of old timers barely post anymore (TGal, Decodelighted, Mara, Alj to name a few). Ever since politics was taken off the table, I've noticed a lot of posters have fallen off.

It'll probably pick up again now that we're going into gift buying season, and people will be spending more time inside, but yes, PS has lost some of it's interest and entertainment value for me, and I find myself going to RockyTalky if I want to see some movement. I never used to go to RockyTalky.

The PS FB group isn't exactly thriving, so you can't blame PS's lack of life on that.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's the split off groups. Don't some of the regulars still post here sometimes? I thought Mara got a 3 ct recently.

For me...My interest is high, but finances are small so I own very little. Probably more than the average person, but hardly enough to really consider this a hobby. I just have my engagement ring, an alternate ring which is 1/3 carat, and a few bands (plain, eternity, sapphire, and etched) to change the look up, plus 2 pairs of earrings. Because I don't own much and can't buy much my interest wanes.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really "play" here without $$$

I do visit daily though to admire everyone's style, more on the Colored Stones forum. I love Hangout, but the pace is so slow and I have the attention span of a gnat.

WeddingBee is really like a one stop place, I know so many people who post there (which is why I don't haha!) You can talk politics or religion or show off a "stand in" ring, it isn't limited to diamonds. Forums evolve, and it is heavily moderated but you can talk freely. I think that is what brings in the high volume traffic and a steady flow of active users. I understand that PS is a diamond forum, but if there were a broader array of topics on the table this would probably be my only forum.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think many people found each other on other sites and are more comfortable posting about their families and lives there. PS used to have SO much traffic. I remember it being difficult to keep up with all the treads. People are still buying jewelry but once one gets out of the "habit" of reading/posting, it is easy to take an extended break.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1411948335|3758327 said:
packrat|1411930102|3758220 said:
This. The search function SUCKS big time now, and that happened with the conversion. I've gotten used to using Google searches to find anything I'm looking for, with PS 1.0, the search function was actually pretty good.

LIW is dead, BWW is dead, both of those used to be vibrant and thriving. Hangout is pretty boring now. And honestly, there are only so many diamond solitaires and eternity bands that one can look at before they all start blending together. Lots of old timers barely post anymore (TGal, Decodelighted, Mara, Alj to name a few). Ever since politics was taken off the table, I've noticed a lot of posters have fallen off.

It'll probably pick up again now that we're going into gift buying season, and people will be spending more time inside, but yes, PS has lost some of it's interest and entertainment value for me, and I find myself going to RockyTalky if I want to see some movement. I never used to go to RockyTalky.

The PS FB group isn't exactly thriving, so you can't blame PS's lack of life on that.

So that why photos don't show up in some old threads, I've always wondered why the photos were gone. I had just assumed someone left & deleted the photos on the way out. That's a shame, there are a slew of pearl photos from one active member, at that point, I decided my original hypothesis was not right---it must of been the conversion.

I can understand the moderating on topics, but sometimes the issues of the 'day' are overwhelming political--it would be nice to discuss those types of topics from time to time. In particular, the situation going on in the Middle East--wow.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411924050|3758190 said:
Hey DF, maybe you and I should start a private FB group.
Yes, we should start a I hate DF and Kenny group... :wink2: then hundreds of PSers will join over night .. :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think there are a lot of reasons. Things evolve. PS has too. I can give you my perspective for what its worth (very little, I assure you).

PS used to be more of an extended family, IMO. Not everyone got along, but... like your relatives, you tolerated or respected one another and helped each other and even if you fought, very few long lasting grudges were held. The rules for vendor participation were different and the posters were much friendlier with the vendors and environment was more education and collaborative (in my opinion) in that respect. And the moderators/owners were different and very active, posting and helping out on RT. The moderators also heavily played favorites. It was very different. Andrey is very hands off and so is Ella. Also PS 2.0 had a ton of glitches and honestly it was REALLY frustrating after the switch. Plus if am remember things right (my memory sucks to so take that with a grain of salt) was also a time where there were several of new posters that were very... dramatic and polarizing and they caused quite a bit of friction. Thankfully those have now moved on, but at the time there were a lot of "GBCPS" posts nearly every week, with people alternately wishing good riddance to the drama mommas or fawning over them and begging them not to leave. Honestly, I posted less and less around that time and even left for a good while. It was quite unbearable. And also around that time some vendor rules for participation changed (in valid response to abuses). And that really changed the environment as well. Plus there was a bann on politics and the Politics board went away. . And even though many posters didn't post there often we all ventured there occasionally and the board regulars on that board were some great ladies, smart, funny, opinionated . So when that board went away, they did too, bored with the rest of PS, I assume. And that was a huge loss because when they posted on the regular boards they had a lot of presence there too.

As for LIW and BBW. At that time theknot.com was the prominent bridal board and it was a shark tank. Posting on PS on BWW, or LIW was MUCH better than posting on the knot. Also we had a lot of older posters who brought great perspective to those boards so they cut down on the brides feeding each other their bridal crazy... and that kept those boards very well self-regulated. Most of those posters started to leave (for the reasons above)... and the boards became less helpful. But as someone else pointed out the Bee caught on, replacing theknot and while it is very drama filled it is NOT theknot and it gave the brides an alternative to PS and theknot.

Finally for various different reasons (GTGs, Facebook, etc.) many of us got to meet one another in real life. Some of us formed very good friendships, deep ones, off the boards. Facebook Pricescope is very slow. But its still a good place to meet people. Plus there are MANY smaller 'break out' groups for people who share other interests (mommies, retirees, pet lovers, etc). And so there are many areas that are frankly much safer than PS to share your life, your ups and downs, and get support or whatever. So... many people get on PS FB, meet like minded folks and break out to a smaller group and that works for them.

Anyway... like I said... that's how I experienced it. I'm sure everyone's experiences were different.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="FrekeChild|
The PS FB group isn't exactly thriving, so you can't blame PS's lack of life on that.[/quote]

Freke, what is the latest gossip over on FB?.. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, I've had some pretty strong cough syrup, I'm sick and sleep deprived (either the cough syrup keeps me up or the coughing does). So keep that in mind when reading my post. I'm not quite hearing colors anymore... but that was only a little while ago.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1411919050|3758167 said:
Dancing Fire|1411868649|3757958 said:
B/C we let Kenny do all the talking?.. :lol:
A lot of the old regulars are gone?... :((
New members are shy?.. :bigsmile:
Thanks cflutist! I'm thrilled!

BTW, DF, what do YOU think?
I am on most of the PSer's ignore list... :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did someone say something? :whistle:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Posters come & go on every forum. Haven't you drifted away from some you used to visit a lot? I was avid on several but after years, wore out what there was to say or read & got attracted to newer ones.

People also move on from hobbies & interests to others that grab them. If they started on PS at, say LIW, well, you're not a bride forever & as has been noted, other priorities take your attention & wallet.

Judging from the purely personal toxicity some people manage to convey, I am glad politics is banned here. It's pointless anyway. Nothing wrong with expressing opinions but when they are set in stone & all others so stupid, their owners don't deserve even politeness, why bother? I have almost quit PS twice after attacks hurt, too personal & too vicious -- and that's without politics. :Up_to_something: I now avoid participating in topics where controversy offers an opportunity for meanness; if you squawk, they answer that they didn't start it, you did by disagreeing with them.

I joined PS a little after 2.0 started. Ever since then, the occasional post has mourned the wonders of PS 1.0. I do remember when it was hard to keep up with new topics & contributions to current ones, but things do go in waves. Come up with interesting topics if you want to see them!

--- Laurie

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1411982930|3758531 said:
Did someone say something? :whistle:
Nahhhh...I am a innocent .. :saint:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1411995138|3758577 said:
Judging from the purely personal toxicity some people manage to convey, I am glad politics is banned here. It's pointless anyway. Nothing wrong with expressing opinions but when they are set in stone & all others so stupid, their owners don't deserve even politeness, why bother? I have almost quit PS twice after attacks hurt, too personal & too vicious -- and that's without politics. :Up_to_something: I now avoid participating in topics where controversy offers an opportunity for meanness; if you squawk, they answer that they didn't start it, you did by disagreeing with them.

--- Laurie
IMO we should allow to talk politics b/c no one can force me to click on the topic if I do not wanna participate. The traffic on PS was busier than the LA freeways during the 2008 election.. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results