color
clarity

From purple rhapsody to black hole, a literal killer bezel

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Re: From purple rhapsody to black hole, a literal killer bez

Acinom|1411672312|3756972 said:
So sorry to read your story...
I am sure though you will find a good solution.
In my screen the stone looks dark but not black at all. It'sa beautiful dark purple. I am glad you saw the beauty again in certain lighting.

Yes, the solution is kind of getting here, now that I'm not in impatient hurry anymore. And I have been able to enjoy more of the purple now that the initial disappointment has passed.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

distracts|1411680148|3757031 said:
Mariedtiger - so sorry it didn't turn out right! It's such a lovely stone, I don't know how they couldn't notice what had happened. I hope you'll be able to find a good solution. I agree with other people that it is really bizarre that the bezel is so enclosed. That doesn't look like the work a good jeweler would do to set such a fine stone.

I appreciate you comments, distracts. Well, to be honest, the general atmosphere in this store is that they have seen everything, so they aren't easily impressed by anything. But it shouldn't affect the setting of stones, no matter how experienced they supposedly are.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

digdeep|1411680367|3757032 said:
"And I'm feeling better now, because despite the downer, now I get to wear the sapphire and it has shown purple in different lighting conditions, more than I thought it ever would, even in this setting. Besides, there's something of marriage symbolism here - once you've seen someone at their worst and been able to accept them like that, the love grows ever so much stronger."

Before my short reply previously--- I had written a long story similar to your statement above. I erased it because I thought I was swimming upstream.........but, you get to read it now:

I worked for a long time sourcing a light colored birthstone sapphire with provenance that matched me and the BIG birthday I had on the horizon at the time. I sketched out the design (a water theme--important for many reasons) and worked with the wax artist for the ring's carved design. I set the sapphire in the wax and was so excited about my special ring!! It was cast, set, and presented to me at the jeweler's store. I know my face showed my shock as the stone looked like a piece of 'ice'. I couldn't shake the thought of CrackerJack plastic ring's with huge fake 'stones' from my childhood.............it was an involuntary response. Everyone in the store thought it was beautiful...except me. I took it home with my embarrassment firmly in hand. After taking it out a few times I realized that it still sparkled, it still had it's chameleon color's, the design was what I wanted, and that the 'ice' I had seen the first day.......was just another form of the water theme I had chosen. Some time's it takes a while for the analogy/metaphor to show itself......or everyone else could see it but not me!! LOL!!

I appreciate your metaphor with marriage and after all the idea's and suggestions you have.......you can sit and see what really fits for you. Sometimes the journey starts when we get the stone, the setting, the ring, or the adventure that comes with all of the above. My best wishes to you on your journey........wherever it takes you.

digdeep - I'm so glad I got to read your story. <3 Thank you for sharing it. I love it, how the metaphor had to be born in its own time, for you. And your words are so timely, some things have come up this week that will lead to a good change, but this whole ring journey is more symbolic than I thought at firs.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

ilovegemstones|1411688134|3757074 said:
So sorry Mariedtiger, but eager to hear what the jeweler says when you go back. I can't wait to see this beauty in a more open setting! I have often kicked myself for choosing my local jeweler for a project over Sally when I have been in a rush and tempted. Stock settings are one thing but custom jewelry is a whole different matter here!

ilovegemstones - I thought about that too! But shipping this one to Thailand feels like a scary thought, although I've sent so many projects to her. Will have to think about it, though. Sally is so good. =)

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

kimpnoth|1411696719|3757133 said:
I always hope I will NOT love the stone or ring on first sight. I hope I like it, but I don' t want to love it. I find the things I love best, are the things I come to appreciate over time.

But then, sometimes, after one has gotten to know the thing better, one knows what needs to change. It's still a beautiful stone and beautiful setting. Give it time. You'll know what to do about finding them each a successful match.

Best,

Kim

Wise words, Kim. I like the way you think, for me music works that way. I never love the best songs on first listen. The classics take time. This time I will listen to my intuition on timing and the right store. For now, I'm kind of just glad to get to wear it.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1411700765|3757158 said:
MT,
Just thinking of you and wondering what your plans are:
1. Are you going to talk to the shop again to see what they can do?
2. Or are you just going to go elsewhere to alter it into a semi-bezel?
3. Or are you leaving it as is (for now or permanently)?

Chrono <3

Great questions.

1. No. As I've felt into it, I've realized I've never liked the atmosphere in that store. I wanted to keep giving them my business, because my Mom used to love that store and have all her jewelry made by them. But from my point of view, this particular store rarely makes the gems shine, instead the gem is just one part of an overall design and that is not my preference. Listening to my intuition, it's not worth the effort and spending more time in that huffy atmosphere to have them fix this.

2. I'm going to go see the jeweler that made the original ring, whom I couldn't reach the first time and see if he really is retired or what the situation is. I'm also going to see Annette on another project next week, so I'll ask her thoughts about it.

3. I will change it, definitely. I'm loathe to leave any gemstone in a setting that makes it no favors, and this one certainly deserves to shine.

I'm also wondering about adding in some high carat yellow gold. I haven't wanted a two tone wedding ring, although many of my other stuff is two toned, but with this purple sapphire, I'm thinking it would like some warmth. I'm also pretty open about the setting now, all my plans have evaporated, so I don't really know what kind of a setting it will be. Open and allowing for light, that is certain, but as for the rest... It's an open book.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're considering other metal colors, I think that stone would also really shine in rose gold as well. In fact, my favorite metal for violet is rose gold.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

A bench with a laser can remove just the head without affecting the rest of the ring.

I had a similar bad experience going custom. Now I'm boring and only want "custom" setting for things I've seen before.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

TL,

You've given me something to think about here, thanks! I think I'm finding a new direction to go with this and it involves rose gold prongs. I have to mull it over a little more, but I feel on track again.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

pregcurious|1411770855|3757585 said:
Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

A bench with a laser can remove just the head without affecting the rest of the ring.

I had a similar bad experience going custom. Now I'm boring and only want "custom" setting for things I've seen before.

I'm sorry to hear about you bad experience with custom setting, all that anticipation and then the disappointment... Man, it's always such a downer.

I'm experiencing a weird kind of counter-psychology here with this failed way of setting. Now that the stone really looks too dark and opaque much of the time, I can honestly enjoy the better moments (like now in my dark basement). I also look forward to having it look much better in a more suitable setting.

I think my expectations have been loaded also because I've never invested like this in a gem and I was on the fence for such a long time. So I needed it to be perfect. And gems rarely, if ever, are perfect in all lighting conditions.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

mariedtiger|1411912866|3758121 said:
.....I think my expectations have been loaded also because I've never invested like this in a gem and I was on the fence for such a long time. So I needed it to be perfect. And gems rarely, if ever, are perfect in all lighting conditions.

very true that gems are rarely perfect in all lighting situations/conditions.
scary the first time one spends big $ on a ring....it does get a bit easier though.
and for the record: I see purple on my monitor in that first picture you posted of your new ring.
at the end of the day, though, it is you that has to be happy with it.
take your time and make sure you talk to the bench jeweler personally.
going through a sales person, store employee, store manager, etc. just leaves a lot be lost in translation..........
i'm glad you're finding ways to appreciate this experience!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1411911977|3758118 said:
TL,

You've given me something to think about here, thanks! I think I'm finding a new direction to go with this and it involves rose gold prongs. I have to mull it over a little more, but I feel on track again.

Or a rose gold basket and prongs, white shank???

I'm sure in the end, you'll find something truly worthy of showcasing the best qualities of your beautiful gem. Good luck and keep us posted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't listen to TL, I say go with yellow gold. :Up_to_something:

I hope that either Annette or the original jeweller will be able to come up with something that blows your mind with the stone. It deserves something better and so do you. :))

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1411918804|3758165 said:
mariedtiger|1411912866|3758121 said:
.....I think my expectations have been loaded also because I've never invested like this in a gem and I was on the fence for such a long time. So I needed it to be perfect. And gems rarely, if ever, are perfect in all lighting conditions.

very true that gems are rarely perfect in all lighting situations/conditions.
scary the first time one spends big $ on a ring....it does get a bit easier though.
and for the record: I see purple on my monitor in that first picture you posted of your new ring.
at the end of the day, though, it is you that has to be happy with it.
take your time and make sure you talk to the bench jeweler personally.
going through a sales person, store employee, store manager, etc. just leaves a lot be lost in translation..........
i'm glad you're finding ways to appreciate this experience!

movie zombie - it was scary! Yikes. Hmmm, not sure if it getting easier is a good thing for my budget. :devil: :bigsmile: I apprciate your comments =) Let's see what the future brings, I've met some wonderful people in the trade after this experience so I'm feeling really good now, but have nothing tangible to report yet.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1411919648|3758171 said:
mariedtiger|1411911977|3758118 said:
TL,

Or a rose gold basket and prongs, white shank???

I'm sure in the end, you'll find something truly worthy of showcasing the best qualities of your beautiful gem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Great idea! I will definitely keep you all posted, these learning experiences are useful.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1411955544|3758377 said:
Don't listen to TL, I say go with yellow gold. :Up_to_something:

I hope that either Annette or the original jeweller will be able to come up with something that blows your mind with the stone. It deserves something better and so do you. :))

This comment had me grinning ear to ear. :bigsmile: I definitely feel this is going to have a great outcome. I'm even thinking about saving up for some tiny purple diamonds that I saw but can't post a link to, because I'm afraid they'll get snatched up. I feel like my old idea got smashed, partly to make room for something even more fabulous that I originally had in mind.

And I have something so grand coming up with a few fancy colored diamonds... I'm kicking myself for not taking any pictures, the project itself won't be done for a long time, but I had the vision drawn up for me yesterday and I squealed. So, good things are to come. Thank goodness for passionate designers and benchpeople who want to create something great.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks everyone for the support. I went in today, to ask about the ring and was met corteously. Long story short, there were a lot of miscommunications in this project and the person at the counter simply did not have enough knowledge to ask the right questions or inform me about designrelated issues. Because of the shape of the sapphire (it has a big belly) it turns out that replicating the same design as before would never be as beautiful as with the original precision cut spinel. The ring would become too high and unwieldy. Makes perfect sense to me now, I just didn't see it before.

As you all thought, the store accepted full responsibility and we are now working with the head designer to create a ring worthy of this gem and our marriage. =) SO happy that I took your advice on this! To be continued....

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

mariedtiger|1415981710|3783461 said:
Thanks everyone for the support. I went in today, to ask about the ring and was met corteously. Long story short, there were a lot of miscommunications in this project and the person at the counter simply did not have enough knowledge to ask the right questions or inform me about designrelated issues. Because of the shape of the sapphire (it has a big belly) it turns out that replicating the same design as before would never be as beautiful as with the original precision cut spinel. The ring would become too high and unwieldy. Makes perfect sense to me now, I just didn't see it before.

As you all thought, the store accepted full responsibility and we are now working with the head designer to create a ring worthy of this gem and our marriage. =) SO happy that I took your advice on this! To be continued....

Although I didn't post in this thread before I did read it and I'm glad all is being fixed. Looking forward to your progress!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This says it all. :dance:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad this matter will now be solved. Sounds like the head designer will create a gorgeous ring for you :appl:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Everyone! Yes, I really feel this will result in a great ring.

:dance:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1415981710|3783461 said:

Great new MT, so looking forward to the new design!!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you TL!!! :) I'm thinking of going with platinum and rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1416053286|3784031 said:
Thank you TL!!! :) I'm thinking of going with platinum and rose gold.

ooooh, sounds exciting!!! Can't wait.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

I had a design meeting today and after talking about different ideas, we agreed on this design in platinum, with milgrain on the bezels of the diamonds and with the sapphire set east-west in rosegold, in an "antiquey" bezel. It's a new tulip design of theirs, the metal is folded against the stone in a kind of wavey pattern (sorry, no picture yet),and in my ring there will be with cutwork to let the light in from the sides of the sapphire.

I tried on the ring in the attached picture here with a round spinel and it was really comfy. I think the diamonds will contrast the purple shades of the sapphire nicely. For years I've been admiring these rings with different shaped diamonds and now I will have one of my own.

I'm over the moon with excitement. :dance: Now just a long wait until February.

tillander_525.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

The bezel setting style is close to this, it is a new design based on an antique style that they found somewhere. I'll post pictures once they publish it.

twist.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MT,
Do you have pictures of the profile showing the cutouts? I would want the pavilion to be as open as possible.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks fabulous!! How will the jeweller ensure that the bezel will not darken the stone?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1418321988|3799542 said:
MT,
Do you have pictures of the profile showing the cutouts? I would want the pavilion to be as open as possible.

Chrono,

Thank you for asking. I'm probably buggin the designer to death, but I just sent her a message underlining that the design has to allow enough light and the pavillion has to be open enough. I have no picture, because the drawings that she had made, although classically beautiful, were not exactly what I was looking for. Instead, we created this design from a combination of ringdesigns, earring designs and spoken ideas that we had in the store. That's why your question has such wonderful timing, because I want all of our ideas to be written down and confirmed, so the design turns out right.

This time, though, I was talking to the designer herself, who instructs the master goldsmith who creates the ring.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1418322883|3799550 said:
It looks fabulous!! How will the jeweller ensure that the bezel will not darken the stone?

We talked back and forth about a lot of different ideas. The bezel in this design is very delicate (compared to the old one) and the cutwork will be designed to allow maximum light to reach the stone. I was torn about having prongs instead, but in my heart I'm a bezel kind of gal and this particular design, the rose gold, the tulip bezel just made so much sense to the artist in me. So I'm trusting my gut and keeping my fingers crossed that my intuition leads me right.

A much safer choice would have been an all white metal ring with prongs, as the one they drew up for me in the attached picture. But there is this sense inside of me that this would have been just a temporary ring, not a lifetime one for this particular sapphire.

_25166.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results